Iron Canyon Trail [CLOSED / PRIVATE PROPERTY]

Iron Canyon Trail [CLOSED / PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 5.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Park City, Utah that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,899 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

private property

NOTE: The entirety of this trail is on private property. Trespassers are not welcome. Please respect the wishes of the landowner by not hiking the trail.

I’m not sure about the information on this app because this trail is completely open to the public. It is a 2 mile loop, 1 mile up and 1 mile back. There are no switchbacks so it is a pretty good climb of 860 feet elevation. It’s took me just under 25 minutes to get to the top and about 20 minutes to get back down. It’s great for dogs off leash.

June 8 felt like hiking in someones back yard. Hard to follow and easy to end up on deer run. i would not waste time on this. Frary peak antelope island is a three star and so much better Deseret peak completely blows this away. save your energy and do a more star hike.

6/4/19 Very challenging trail! The first 1.5 miles is the most difficult. Took us about 1.5 hrs to get up with 2 wrong turns (our gps did not line up with all trails closely) and about 50 minutes to get down with a very brisk pace. Our first wrong turn was about a mile in. We went to the left instead of right which lead to a great overlook with a stone bench. Our second mistake was when we got to the ski slope where iron man trail crosses. Walk up the slope and there is a hidden trail on the right side of the slope (we walked all the way to the lift before realizing). There was a good amount of snow melt off between 0.5-1 miles. Still a good amount of the snow at the very top.

Sunday 6/2/19 9.20-12.40pm. Mostly Sunny 50s-60s. Patches of snow remaining especially near top but all manageable without needing crampons or microspikes. First 1.5 miles thru forest and stream is beautiful but tough. then gentle switchbacks get you to a ski run (names Tin Cup currently). This leads to the top of a chairlift but the trail diverges off much before this - keep a lookout or use AllTrails to identify. A bit of a slog at the end. Nice views but minus 1 star for the feeling of being in pseudo-suburbia all around. There are much nicer trails especially in the Cottonwoods which truly get you away from the world.

Hiked this May 4th. Hiked on top of snow staring about 1/2 mile in. Crampons would have been helpful. We hiked it early in the day and was not too slick on the way up but was getting quite slushy on the way down. With the snow it was tough in spots to find the trail. Beautiful views at the top.

Great trail. Still lots of snow, melting snow, so it’s muddy, wet and soft up to 8000’. More solid above. I’d imagine it will be fantastic in a month.

The entrance to this is in the middle of a neighborhood/townhomes/hotel/lodges... No Parking signs are up everywhere... not quite sure how to actually access it...

I love this hike, but there is an owner in this neighborhood that lets his yellow Labrador retriever run up and down the trail to "play" with hikers. He wants to follow you and have you throw sticks to him, play tug of war, etc. It's kind of distracting/difficult/stressful especially when you have dogs of your own. He has a GPS collar. When you call the owner he just says yeah, he's got a GPS and he runs around the neighborhood. Not cool man, some of us just wanna hike and sled in peace. I love dogs and have dogs of my own, but this dog just stands there and barks super loudly at you until you throw the stick. He doesn't respond to any commands. Why can't the owner just hire a dog walker or go hike with him is beyond me.

Bring a sled!! Great hike.

Gorgeous, easy hike! So many aspens and butterflies!

Great hike with a challenging incline.

Good quick hike with decent views at the end.

About 3/4 of the way up the trail got super icy. We had to turn around before the top due to the icy conditions. Some decent views along the way up. Wouldn’t recommend in the winter

A very beautiful trail up to the lookout over Park City. A bit slippery in the snow, but a good trail to start the week on. Finding it was a bit tricky given no signs at the end of a cul-de-sac in a neighborhood, but just park down the road a bit and look for the trail at the center of the cul-de-sac.

Great trail with amazing views. It’s definitely on the steeper side, but like others have said it’s short so it’s manageable. Not being from the area parking was a little confusing as their are no parking signs all over at the trail head. I found a spot a little further down the road that seemed safe to park. Overall this was a gorgeous hike, I’d highly recommend it.

Pretty in the fall. Nice view spot. Rocky and uphill all the way out and downhill all the way back.

We picked the perfect week to hike in Park City. With the temps being in the 60-70’s and the fall color’s popping- this hike’s views were heaven - especially at the top. Thankfully it’s on the shorter side because of the steepness. My legs not being conditioned to take the downhill, they were a little wobbly by the end. It was a great workout in a beautiful location and I will definitely do it again. I will try to post some pics.

Do this hike in the fall for some beautiful aspen and leaf views! Steep in parts but short so it didn’t seem super hard. Also doesn’t take too long so perfect if you only have a few hours.

View at the top is magnificent.

Fun fall hike!

Hard

Short hike, but good workout due to elevation gain. Nice view.

Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Nice hike, took about an hour to get to the top at a slow pace. There was a moose on the edge of the trail. Great view of Park City at top, the way up was thru lot of pines and large birch trees. Hiking effort was moderate. Parenting effort was difficult. Obviously I am not a very good motivational speaker. Below is my daughter Elena’s review (age 12):. I rate it as 4 stars but I had to compromise with the critic below. From Elena: View was great. I do not trust those people who said it was moderate! I think this hike has ruined hiking for me. The only reason this review has three stars is because I had to compromise with my dad, if it was my decision I would have given it one star. It was not worth the strenuous walk though. I don’t think I will ever do this again! It says moderate but in my opinion it is beyond difficult. If you do this hike you will not enjoy it if you are out of shape. Make sure to bring lots of water if you do do this hike. I feel like I could have used my time better than going on this ginormous, terrible hike. I recommend a more easy hike called Donut Falls. Much more kid friendly.

Saturday, August 11, 2018

Absolutely awesome hike. Definitely steep as the other reviews mentioned, but only took about 45 minutes to the top so it’s doable. The view is 100% worth it. Be careful coming down, there are a lot of loose rocks easy to slip on.

Tuesday, August 07, 2018

This I feel should be more on the difficult side. straight up climb with a lot of shade, but once on top there is a bench you can sit on a take on the beautiful view. Coming down the loose rocks will slide under foot so go slow! However I would do this one again.