Indian Trail is a 8.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ogden, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.2 miles Elevation Gain: 2,716 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The Indian trail loosely traces the old Shoshoni Indian path used in ancient times to get out of Ogden Canyon and onto the salt lake plain. The trail is heavily forested and, even though you are close to Ogden, has a wilderness feel to it. The trail is well maintained and cool even in the summer. The Indian Trail is a moderate hike that ascends through lush evergreen forest and past interesting geology. It climbs steeply into Ogden Canyon, winds in and out of Warm Water Canyon, climbs to "Nevada Viewpoint" on the ridge between Warm Water Canyon and Cold Water Canyon, and then descends to into Cold Water Canyon near the Cold Water Canyon Trailhead. You can hike it out and back, or arrange a shuttle and hike from Trailhead to Trailhead.

This trail was difficult for me... probably even more so that Malan’s Peak. It was a great challenge and very rewarding to sit on top of a mountain!

I loved this trail!

This trail is amazing. We started at the Cold Water side and left a car 22nd. It was 5.7 miles. It is narrow with steep drop offs at some points, lots of loose rock at parts as well. It’s has a lot of pretty good inclines, but also nice breaks with level or downhill sections. Great workout. Loved it.

I really loved the hike! Not too difficult and very scenic!

Great trail. Its a little steep but once you get into the canyon the views are incredible. Pretty much had the whole trail to myself.

Pretty great trail to hike up the hard parts and run down the rest. Did the whole out and back in 2.5 hours. My GPS logged 9.2 miles.

This is an excellent hike as long as you’re aware of a couple of things. One: don’t miss the sign to turn right (uphill) at around one mile in. It’s on a tree and mostly covered. If you miss it you’ll end up scrambling over rocks on what looks like a trail but it’s not. Turn around if you find yourself in such a position. Two: after the switchbacks when the trail splits and you can go uphill or downhill, go downhill to continue toward the canyon. We went from the 22nd street entrance over into the canyon by parking a car at each end so we didn’t need to do the out-and-back. That makes the hike just about 4.5 miles and is definitely the way I’d recommend doing things, especially as the decline into the canyon is much less steep than the 22nd street side. Happy hiking!

great morning home to warm springs and back.

I have been trail running for several months now, and this is by far my favorite trail. I try to make it every week at least once a week. It's a steep incline from the 22nd St side, but absolutely worth the pain. Hell of a workout for legs. I love flying on the downhill after losing all faith in my abilities power hiking up the 22nd street side, flying on the downhill is such a sweet treat. Some parts are rocky and gravely, if you aren't watching your step, you could easily roll an ankle. Love love love this trail. It's not crowded at all, even in the morning on gorgeous days. I think the steep incline right up front keeps most from going all the way to the canyon. Do take two vehicles or punch out the 8 miles from 22nd to O Canyon and back!! Takes a little while, but this hike improves my street running endurance. I feel faster, lighter, and more agile. I rock Arcteryx Norvan LD Gortex trail runners and they eat this trail. Do this trail, its gorgeous. One weird thing, Cicadas in the trees are eery as they make clicking noises and sometimes flutter by your head, if you're freaked by big flying bugs, prepare yourself, lol

I've hiked this trail numerous times since I was a teenager. If you've never been on it before, be advised it is a very narrow trail. There are many spots where it's a steep dropoff, so watch your footing. Also, when you reach the top where the shack is, I recommend just turning around and going back the way you came in. I've always entered in from the 22nd street parking lot, but you can also begin from the Ogden canyon parking lot where Smokey the Bear is. I've also heard that people will park one car at each lot so they don't have to double back out. If you do double back, it's 8+ miles. Otherwise, it's only 4+. (I tracked 5 total from 22nd St. up to the shack and back)

I started the Indian trail on the opposite side this week. It was a little steeper, and although different from the other side, still so beautiful. You get to cross a stream and it is well-shaded. Next week I would like to start on the 22nd side and park at the cold water side. By the end of the summer I will hike it out and back.

Great trail, fairly steep all the way up nice workout.

We did only the first 0.7 miles fo this trail. I hike with my 3-year-old and 6-year-old as well as with some friends, so take that into consideration when weighing my review. This hike was not as much in the trees as I anticipated. It did make some of the younger kids nervous as it was steep and narrow and the drop off was pretty steep. However, I wasn't nervous for our safety safe. The view was nice and the kids loved to be able to see a waterfall. I would love to try it again when we can go a little farther.

Great hike that we complete on a yearly basis. The first leg is steep but the views are rewarding.

Tough trail for running with all of the elevation gain. Enjoyed the downhill going towards Ogden canyon after the cabin. The canyon side is a much better trail.

Wonderful hike with pine trees and beautiful views. Long, but plenty of parts of the trail that are flat mixed with elevation changes.

Not sure how this trail has any less than 5 stars. Started at the 22nd St. Trailhead and made it 2 miles before the trail looked washed away down a steep chute. Had to turn back. Looking forward to completing this trail from the other direction. Gorgeous canyon and alpine views!

Outstanding views at the top of Coldwater Canyon: The trail is very well maintained and very easy to hike, except for a few parts where the trail is narrow. Recommended to all ages.

Awesome hike. feels like the high mtns!!

new to Utah and this was my first trail here me and my kids loved it.

We hiked today East-West (Coldwater Canyon-22nd street). We got a little lost near the campsite area at the top of the switchbacks at the beginning of the trail (turn left and go downhill, not right and uphill!) and ended up in a weird scrambly scree section before turning around. It was mostly dry with a few areas of lingering snow in the higher sections. If I were to do it again, I would have appreciated my trekking poles. Outstanding views at the top of Coldwater Canyon.

recorded Activity April 19, 2019

Hiked the West end of Indian, trails mostly clear of moisture.

This is a go to trail for me. I absolutely love hiking this trail. I have made the hike from both sides and would have to say the easier route would be starting from the 22nd St, side. One thing that makes it one of my favorite is my fair skin. This trail offers the shade my skin needs. Not mention it is just a beautiful trail. One thing I have noticed, I happen to encounter more rattlesnakes along this trail than others in the area. Just keep an eye open. Usually on the coldwater leg of the trip. I had some spare time to today, so I am trying to log all the trails that are either new or neglected in the past.

awesome fun and enjoyable

Love this trail. Great for dogs and a starting and ending points. Make sure you read the plaque when you are on the 12th Street canyon trailhead that talks about the giant kiln!

Great trail very fast and rockey definitely a harder intermediate trail to ride with some of the rock gardens over all very long,fun, and tenical trail.

We love this trail. But about three weeks ago my dog got suddenly sick and passed away after hiking in the same spot on this trail two days in a row. I am wondering if anyone else had a similar experience?

Beautiful trail, take your time and really enjoy the views.