Indian Trail

Indian Trail is a 8.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ogden, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The Indian trail loosely traces the old Shoshoni Indian path used in ancient times to get out of Ogden Canyon and onto the salt lake plain. The trail is heavily forested and, even though you are close to Ogden, has a wilderness feel to it. The trail is well maintained and cool even in the summer. The Indian Trail is a moderate hike that ascends through lush evergreen forest and past interesting geology. It climbs steeply into Ogden Canyon, winds in and out of Warm Water Canyon, climbs to "Nevada Viewpoint" on the ridge between Warm Water Canyon and Cold Water Canyon, and then descends to into Cold Water Canyon near the Cold Water Canyon Trailhead. You can hike it out and back, or arrange a shuttle and hike from Trailhead to Trailhead.

Started at 22nd st trailhead to the other and back. Should have shuttled but only had one vehicle. Confusing part when past the emergency shelter, remember head left. Took 4 hours round trip.

Hiked Indian Trail this morning from 22nd Street to the trailhead in Ogden Canyon, then shuttled back to the start. Totally enjoyable, moderately challenging, great scenery. Will do this one again. Only problem was the dog owners who disregard the leash requirements. One of the members of our group had a dog, leashed, which was attacked by an unleashed dog from another group. Simply inexcusable on the part of the dog owner. Hiking time: 2:06:47, distance: 4.52 miles, elevation gain: 1,852 ft.

I finally completed this entire trail on my second try. Using this app on my cell was extremely helpful as I tend to occasionally find myself on an off-shoot of the trail I'm supposed to be on. This was quite the hike. Medium skill level maybe but I would say it more changes throughout varying skill levels. There is a little cabin (lookout) at about the halfway point. It's worth pushing yourself that far. This was about 1.5 to 2 hours in for me. (3 hours for the whole trail, 22nd Street Trailhead to trailhead in the Ogden Canyon). When you start to head down toward the river, you will find a campground that has a tee-pee type structure built next to the firepit. Very cool. Several more campgrounds, a little man-made waterfall and four bridges later, Eureka...I made it!

Beautiful trail, gives variety of path from easy to a bit challenging. Goes along the ridge opening up new views along the way. Beautiful wild flowers and a view of waterfall from afar. You will encounter view of great salt lake and snowy tips of the summits.
Would hardly recommend to anyone

I hiked this trail with my sister, brother-in-law and daughter. We went a couple of miles, but had to turn back to go to massage appointment. Beautiful views of valley and canyon!

Great hiking! Started from 22nd street trail head. First 2 miles are steep up hill and little hard, but we enjoyed the amazing view and nice breeze coming through the canyon! We did about 4 miles today, and definitely would like to finish the whole trail next time.

We made it to the overlook point and had lunch. I would suspect this hike is really hot during summer. We went when it was a little windy to keep cool.

My husband and I did this hike with my little sister on March 4. There was a decent amount of snow, but my little sister made it without spikes or snowshoes. We only went in about 1.5 miles before turning around.

If you go during winter, wear your Yaktrax. Beautiful hike with great views.

Beautiful trail! Definitely a moderate; nothing crazy, just a few steep areas to watch out for. Went all the way out and back from 22nd street. Great trail for running.

This tail is so pretty right now with all the fall colors!

Absolutely beautiful in Sept. If you start on the 22nd street side be prepared for an incline. It's uphill for about 1.5 miles.

this was a very nice trail. it was maintained really good and pretty easy to hike, at least to the second bridge. I took my 3 year old and 4 year old and they had a great time. it is really steep for the first half mile but after that was pretty smooth, and by smooth I mean Rocky, sailing.

Beautiful hike. I hiked this part way 3 years ago but my knee started giving me problems so I had to turn around. I wish I could have kept going.

This was epic. I loved it. Some great vistas and making it to the top was really rewarding. Bring a ton of water if it's hot because once you get about 3/4 of the way up it gets steep and hydration is key

Really great view of the city and of Ogden Canyon.

This has become one of my families favorite hikes. The section from Ogden Canyon to the Nevada Viewpoint is mostly shady and not too difficult. There are a few places where the drop offs are very hairy, but the view at the top is beautiful. We have never run into rattlers ourselves, but several others in passing have seen them and gave warning.

Started this trail from the 22nd street trailhead. It was pretty steep right from the beginning but eventually leveled off somewhat. There were bees at every turn for the first 3 miles. A lot of the photo ops people are posting aren't until you hit the last mile which just takes you to the road along Ogden Canyon. There was no grand peak or waterfall if you're looking for something spectacular at the end of the hike, I wouldn't recommend this. Just a long 4 mile hike through the rocks and trees and a few steep drop offs so be careful not to slide downhill.

I wasn't that impressed with this hike. Some of the views were pretty but other than that the hike was pretty boring. There are bees everywhere it is kind of a nuisance. There are a couple sketchy parts where if you lose your footing you could fall to your death. You start at 22nd street and end in Ogden canyon or vice versa.

This is one of my favorite trails.
once you make it to where the trail follows the stream, it becomes shady and beautiful.

There are places to backpack in and camp, but watch out for glass. there are a lot of broken bottles from drinkers who want to ruin it for the rest of us.
imo, if you're going to drink, use a flask, you don't have to worry about it breaking and your more inclined to pack it out afterwards. and it's lighter than glass usually. That's what I prefer to do anyway.

Absolutely beautiful hike. One of my favorites. Very clean and easy to follow trail.

We love this trail, it's very shady, beautiful views from the top.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Loved this trail. Beautiful scenery. Saw a rattle snake so careful where you step. The view is amazing and I loved the shade too. I new to hiking. So a note, if the trail v's don't take the one with the tree limb across it. Lol did a lot of rock climbing to get back to the trail.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

One of my favorite trails. it's beautiful all year round.

Monday, June 05, 2017

One of my new favorites, it has some drop off areas and is definitely a moderate. we parked at Smokies sign of 12th Street going into the canyon and walk down to 22nd Street, amazing views

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Awesome place to hike!!!

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Great hike!!

Saturday, May 27, 2017

This trail was absolutely breath taking! Beautiful wild flowers everywhere and the views are amazing. The trail itself is also a perfect amount of incline...not to hard but not to easy.

Monday, May 22, 2017

started at 23rd street went to 12th street parking, then back. The way back was a workout, but worth it. Next time we want to start on 12th and see which is harder. Great workout. 3.5 hours.

Monday, May 08, 2017

Fun to do point to point and shuttle between trailheads.