Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started
Learn more

Indian Trail is a 8.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Ogden, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.2 miles Elevation Gain: 2,716 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The Indian trail loosely traces the old Shoshoni Indian path used in ancient times to get out of Ogden Canyon and onto the salt lake plain. The trail is heavily forested and, even though you are close to Ogden, has a wilderness feel to it. The trail is well maintained and cool even in the summer. The Indian Trail is a moderate hike that ascends through lush evergreen forest and past interesting geology. It climbs steeply into Ogden Canyon, winds in and out of Warm Water Canyon, climbs to "Nevada Viewpoint" on the ridge between Warm Water Canyon and Cold Water Canyon, and then descends to into Cold Water Canyon near the Cold Water Canyon Trailhead. You can hike it out and back, or arrange a shuttle and hike from Trailhead to Trailhead.

icy

Deal with the conditions, it’s spring. Still an awesome trail

Snow and washed out after the overlook

icy

It is Wonderful hike in the fall from September to October, fall colors are optimum during this time, nice and cool. Great views of waterfall as you start up from 22nd St. trail head.

icy

Some parts that are very hard to pass without the right gear

icy

This is my favorite trail because it’s close to me and it’s a great workout! Currently you need spikes to get up the rock wall and snowshoes are optimal at about 1.5-2 miles in. I had microspikes and gaiters which did ok, but snowshoes would get you further on the trail. I’m excited to get another snow storm and break some trail next week! It was windy and pretty cold and overcast. Still hecka fun!

icy

This hike was so fun! There was a ton of shade, and it wasn’t too hot or too cold. There was snow in some places and I didn’t finish the whole thing, but it was such a beautiful hike anyways. Be careful of slippery ice though!

loved, didn't get as far as we hoped, but that was more due to my not getting enough information prior to going... sadly I'm still a easy only fitness. but a utterly beautiful trail for the 1 mile we got into it.

Colors are perfect!

This was our first time on this trail and we LOVED it! We are active people and in decent shape and we never felt this was extremely hard. However, it was a good workout. We went on a day that was overcast with slight, light rain and conditions couldn’t have been more perfect. The colors were changing on the trees. It was mostly covered with scrub oak and trees and the scenery was really beautiful. We parked a car on the canyon side and then drove another to the 22nd street entrance and started there. We almost decided to to the full 8.4 miles in and back, but decided to go the other route and I am sure glad we did for our first time (plus we had a guy with a baby in a backpack). This is one we will definitely do again in the near future. I highly recommend this trail.

This is by far one of my favorite trails. Definitely “moderate” rated. Lots of inclines and valley. But so very beautiful and unique.

This trail was difficult for me... probably even more so that Malan’s Peak. It was a great challenge and very rewarding to sit on top of a mountain!

I loved this trail!

This trail is amazing. We started at the Cold Water side and left a car 22nd. It was 5.7 miles. It is narrow with steep drop offs at some points, lots of loose rock at parts as well. It’s has a lot of pretty good inclines, but also nice breaks with level or downhill sections. Great workout. Loved it.

I really loved the hike! Not too difficult and very scenic!

Great trail. Its a little steep but once you get into the canyon the views are incredible. Pretty much had the whole trail to myself.

Great trail. The trail is kinda steep both ways but once you enter the canyon it's gorgeous. Cool view of the city at the top.