New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Hurricane Wash to Coyote Gulch

Hurricane Wash to Coyote Gulch is a 26.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Escalante, Utah that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and backpacking and is best used from April until November.

Distance: 26.7 miles Elevation Gain: 4,104 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Spectacular views passing through Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument and Glen Canyon National Recreation Area along Hurricane Wash and Coyote Gulch to the Escalante River.

This trail kicked my ass!!! Leave super early going through the wash. It gets hot hot hot!!!! Trail can be confusing but hey... it’s a wash... but we made it! The Gulch is amazing beautiful! Crows are crazy so take your food with you when Day adventures. Remember leave no trace and that means packing ALL your SHIT!

absolutely gorgeous. highly recommend starting at the too of crack in the wall and hiking down.

I did this during June. It was 115°. Never do that. But once I got out of the desert and heat it was awesome!! Beautiful streams which were a god-send after the desert. gorgeous rocks and the night sky was incredible!

The first/last (in/out) four or so miles of Hurricane Wash are kind of a death slog through deep sand/small gravel so plan accordingly in the heat. There are some hungry/aggressive crows who live in the canyon. We dropped a pack with our lunch and some snacks in it for just a minute. We came back to every zipper opened and every bit of our food gone. Dogs aren’t allowed on this trail. And if you happen to run into my Utah license plate (F89 0SJ) that may have jiggled off my truck on the Hole In The Rock road, holla @MickelleySwelly on Instagram. That road is legitimately washboard-y.

Bring bug spray!!!!! Those biting flies are evil! Would also recommend waterproof hiking boots as they'll protect you from running your feet raw in the dry sand after coming out of the water. Would also recommend trekking poles for the sand. Overall a beautiful hike!! Getting to Escalante river is another .4 miles after the trail ends and is basically scrambling over rocks near the river. Flat, low elevation, and a good amount of shade, even at high noon. Read this before you go: https://bearfoottheory.com/coyote-gulch-backpacking-guide/ Oh, and PSA: make sure you have a spare tire for the 34-mile dirt road ;)

Bring non gortex hiking shoes and thin wool socks, you will be walking in water most of the day and non-waterproof shoes will dry much more quickly!

Awesome trail with endless scenery! My wife and I did an out and back via Hurricane Wash. We turned around at the Escalante River. Its a very easy trail that can be backpacked in 2 days (1 day if you’re quick enough). I recommend 3 days though because there is so much to see and explore. We made a video of our 3 days in Coyote Gulch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mzaZIEdT7o

Good 3 night out and back. 3pm start at the trailhead easily made it to the main gulch well before dark and we didn't have any competition for campsites even on Friday night. Water started about 4 miles in. Foot and low ankle deep throughout until we hit the escalante where it was hip deep. Saw about 5 mosquitos over 3 days, so sleeping outside without a tent was pretty good. Water was warm enough to want to swim at the escalante.

This was a beautiful hike absolutely loved it. Happy I brought along my water shoes for all the river crossings. Absolutely amazing hike. PSA - Between Coyote Natural Bridge and Cliff Arch my group lost a pair of black Smith mirrored sunglasses. If you happen to find them could you contact Shane Mogan (NOT Morgan) on Facebook or Instagram.

pretty cool but there was a bathroom near the end that ruined the scenery. definitely would take my grand kids in 40 years. good for backpacking...

Sat Jun 09 2018

I've done this twice now and recommend starting from crack-in-the-rock and hiking thru to hurricane wash trailhead. This way there is no uphill elevation change. Take two cars and park one at each trailhead. You wouldn't miss much by coming out at Jacob Hamblin arch.

Mon May 21 2018

My boyfriend and I did this hike over 2 days from Hurricane Wash. We started out about midday which made the first 2-3 miles pretty tough with the sun and heat. The change in terrain on this hike made it a very unique experience. It begins with typical dry, rocky terrain but as you descend into the gulch there are some parts of the trail that make you wonder if you’re still in southern Utah! There are several stream crossings that continue to get deeper the further you go in the trail. I had waterproof hiking shoes and was just fine up until the last quarter mile when I just waded through the stream barefoot. Plenty of areas to set up camp along the way. Beautiful canyon off trail to the left about 9 miles in with a cave and pond at the bottom of the rock walls that had “zebra stripe” coloration. The weather was significantly warmer than we were expecting once we were in Coyote Gulch. The hike down to Escalante River was a great chance for a quick rinse! If I do this hike again, I would definitely do it in 3 days instead of 2. This was my first overnight hike so I found it very challenging but well worth it!

Sun Apr 01 2018

Such a beautiful hike with lots of great camping spots throughout! Water shoes are a must since you’re crossing over the river every few minutes to stay with the trail. A few tricky climbs along the way, but definitely doable if you’re confident scrambling.

Sat Mar 24 2018

This is an absolute must hike for Southern Utah. Every moment of it was enjoyable, the foot traffic was a little high when I went and there are only so many spots you can set up camp in the slot canyons.

Fri Dec 22 2017

the boring way into Coyote - long, not scenic. best approach is to drive out to the trailhead, go down through the crack to the river, camp, come out at Jacob Hamlin Arch (150' rope STRONGLY recommended, first 1/3rd out very steep)

Sat Sep 23 2017

Hurricane wash is pretty brutal, especially around noon. Once you get into Coyote Gulch, it's much cooler and shady, and has water throughout. Really nice with great spots to camp. On the way back through Hurricane Wash, I got LOST. In the desert with not much water. I started following another wash by accident. Thankful for this app, because it got me back to the trail! Bring lots of water through the wash.

Sat Aug 05 2017

Best trail I've ever done. Take some extra time to explore the slot canyons and side canyons, lots to discover.

Mon Apr 10 2017

Starting at the Hurricane Wash trailhead, the trail starts out pretty "bland" but about 2-3 miles in you start to enter small canyons. When you enter Coyote Gulch it's spectacular. Jacob Hamblin's Arch is really large, but the cavern nearby that you have to go around to get to the other side is even more impressive. It felt like being in a huge cathedral. Highly recommend! Really great hike and backpacking stay.

Mon Nov 07 2016

This is actually a long hike, but the view was really lovely!

Tue Oct 04 2016

Great trail AMAZING scenery don't miss this one if you ever get the chance so many diff landscapes all in one amazing little place truly unforgettable

Fri May 06 2016

Great trip, just finished water shoes are a must. We hiked to Jacobs arch and set up base camp then hiked to the bridge and three water falls the next day and back. Weather was good views are great. Only three cars at the trail head on Sunday but had about ten when we returned on Wednesday. Great early spring trip.

Mon Feb 01 2016

Awesome! Lots of walking but our ten age kids absolutely loved it! This trip will go down as one of our best adventures!

Sat Sep 26 2015

Coyote Gulch may be my favorite place in Utah. Just do it. If you only have one car or are looking to do a shorter distance, do the sneaker route. You can park at the water tanks, get to Jacob Hamblin pretty quick and camp there. Play down in the gulch with day packs as long as you want and then you can come out the same way back to your car at the water tanks. You can find more info (most informative site I've found) here: http://www.yourhikeguide.com/coyote-gulch/