Hurricane Wash to Coyote Gulch

Hurricane Wash to Coyote Gulch is a 26.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Escalante, Utah that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and backpacking and is best used from April until November.

Spectacular views passing through Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument and Glen Canyon National Recreation Area along Hurricane Wash and Coyote Gulch to the Escalante River.

I've done this twice now and recommend starting from crack-in-the-rock and hiking thru to hurricane wash trailhead. This way there is no uphill elevation change. Take two cars and park one at each trailhead. You wouldn't miss much by coming out at Jacob Hamblin arch.

My boyfriend and I did this hike over 2 days from Hurricane Wash. We started out about midday which made the first 2-3 miles pretty tough with the sun and heat. The change in terrain on this hike made it a very unique experience. It begins with typical dry, rocky terrain but as you descend into the gulch there are some parts of the trail that make you wonder if you’re still in southern Utah! There are several stream crossings that continue to get deeper the further you go in the trail. I had waterproof hiking shoes and was just fine up until the last quarter mile when I just waded through the stream barefoot. Plenty of areas to set up camp along the way. Beautiful canyon off trail to the left about 9 miles in with a cave and pond at the bottom of the rock walls that had “zebra stripe” coloration. The weather was significantly warmer than we were expecting once we were in Coyote Gulch. The hike down to Escalante River was a great chance for a quick rinse! If I do this hike again, I would definitely do it in 3 days instead of 2. This was my first overnight hike so I found it very challenging but well worth it!

Such a beautiful hike with lots of great camping spots throughout! Water shoes are a must since you’re crossing over the river every few minutes to stay with the trail. A few tricky climbs along the way, but definitely doable if you’re confident scrambling.

This is an absolute must hike for Southern Utah. Every moment of it was enjoyable, the foot traffic was a little high when I went and there are only so many spots you can set up camp in the slot canyons.

the boring way into Coyote - long, not scenic. best approach is to drive out to the trailhead, go down through the crack to the river, camp, come out at Jacob Hamlin Arch (150' rope STRONGLY recommended, first 1/3rd out very steep)

Hurricane wash is pretty brutal, especially around noon. Once you get into Coyote Gulch, it's much cooler and shady, and has water throughout. Really nice with great spots to camp. On the way back through Hurricane Wash, I got LOST. In the desert with not much water. I started following another wash by accident. Thankful for this app, because it got me back to the trail! Bring lots of water through the wash.

Saturday, August 05, 2017

Best trail I've ever done. Take some extra time to explore the slot canyons and side canyons, lots to discover.

Monday, April 10, 2017

Starting at the Hurricane Wash trailhead, the trail starts out pretty "bland" but about 2-3 miles in you start to enter small canyons. When you enter Coyote Gulch it's spectacular.

Jacob Hamblin's Arch is really large, but the cavern nearby that you have to go around to get to the other side is even more impressive. It felt like being in a huge cathedral.

Highly recommend! Really great hike and backpacking stay.

Monday, November 07, 2016

This is actually a long hike, but the view was really lovely!

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

Great trail AMAZING scenery don't miss this one if you ever get the chance so many diff landscapes all in one amazing little place truly unforgettable

Friday, May 06, 2016

Great trip, just finished water shoes are a must. We hiked to Jacobs arch and set up base camp then hiked to the bridge and three water falls the next day and back. Weather was good views are great. Only three cars at the trail head on Sunday but had about ten when we returned on Wednesday. Great early spring trip.

Monday, February 01, 2016

Awesome! Lots of walking but our ten age kids absolutely loved it! This trip will go down as one of our best adventures!

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Coyote Gulch may be my favorite place in Utah. Just do it. If you only have one car or are looking to do a shorter distance, do the sneaker route. You can park at the water tanks, get to Jacob Hamblin pretty quick and camp there. Play down in the gulch with day packs as long as you want and then you can come out the same way back to your car at the water tanks.

You can find more info (most informative site I've found) here: http://www.yourhikeguide.com/coyote-gulch/

Wednesday, September 09, 2015

Arches, a natural bridge, a hidden lagoon, petroglyphs, kivas, water falls: an amazing place. One of our favorites!

Sunday, May 24, 2015

It was so breathtaking inside the gulch but be prepared to walk about 7 miles in the sand. Next time we will bring a 60 ft rope to lower our packs and go in through the crack in the wall. Well worth the blisters though:)

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Did this twice from Red Well Trailhead after 40 miles of off road driving on "Hole In The Rock", first time in Feb. 2013 to avoid the possible "crowd" - base camped at Hurricane and Red Well confluence under single digit Fahrenheit temperature which the fire wouldn't even start and the riverside sand hard and cold as ice. Putting on every piece of clothing from the backpack while sleeping wasn't enough. A roasting over fire for 2 hours was needed in order to even get blood running through fingers to grab trekking poles. Stepping through iced creek and skipping over ice water interrupted trip to Steven's Arch until next visit. Meandering through towering canyons were incredibly indescribable. We decided to return again in May of 2014. Milder weather with green landscapes; however water level was much lower but wading through soothing water made the trip easier. Camping nights right under Jacob Hamblin Arch and howled after scaling up the top of the base arch rock was one of the unforgettable acts of life. A backpack free trek to Steven's Arch was the mission of this returning trip. But it's the journey instead of the destination that refined everything: waist deep water, life endangering cliff side scrambles, mind boggling views of canyon formation from millions of years of transformation. Finally the view of Stevens Natural Arch was in distance, high up on the upstream of Escante River. The rapid and depth of the water got us close enough to awe but the footprints of large feline turned most of the people around. This is an ultimate camping trip not to be missed, combined with hundreds of water crossing and the coolness of the gulch that took away our souls as long as we stay in there.

Friday, May 02, 2014

Excellent hike! We went from the Red Well trailhead, but it is pretty close to Hurricane Wash. We spent 3 nights in the gulch and passed 4 arches, indian ruins, petroglyphs, half a dozen waterfalls, and some amazingly beautiful cliff walls. I highly recommend this hike!

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Went at the end of spring. Very little bugs and vegetation getting in your way. Prepare yourself for plenty of stream crossings as you wind your way through the canyon gulch. Check out a video on the trail I put together a while back, cheers! PS. Whatever you do, Do not take Smokey Mountain Road into the area.

Monday, July 22, 2013

The gulch itself was incredible and remains one of my favorite hikes. The waterfall just before reaching the confluence with the Escalante river was a perfect place to cool off and have lunch. However, getting to the gulch via Hurricane wash was a long, hot, slow walk. I would definitely not come in this way again. Better to go straight for Crack in the wall which brings you in right about at the Jacob Hamblin arch.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Bring lots of water and something else to purify more! This one was hot!! Stay up on the river beds don't walk through the sand its way more challenging. I felt relieved once I realized how much easier it was even though the terrain isn't as flat.