Horse Flat, Horse Spring and Lame Horse Trail Loop is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pleasant Grove, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

The Horse Flat trail leaves the summit trail and heads through stands of aspens for 0.3 miles to the junction with the Snow Gauging trail #189. From there, the trail heads up hill to a series of beautiful meadows with great views of Mount Timpanogos and the Lone Peak Wilderness. The trail continues to a small lake and then connects in with the Lame Horse trail #055.

Beautiful first half of this hike. We were the ONLY people on the trail at 8:30 AM. We did have four people on horse back towards the end. The second half is really overgrown and a bit jungly. But overall a nice quick hike with lovely scenery and hardly any traffic.

This is a great trail. We took our three kids ages 12, 10 and 8. If you choose to go up the Lame Horse side, be prepared for a steep climb and if you choose to start at the Horse Flat side, be prepared for a steep descent. There is a natural water spring (it flows into a trough) and the water coming from it is amazing so bring an empty bottle to fill it up.

Great hike! I had it all to myself..well except for the mosquitos. lol definately use bug spray! Butterflies were everywhere. Saw a buck. 1/3 of the trail is a bit claustrophobic because the vegetation is as tall as me and overgrowing the trail. The uphill portion got the heart pounding. I'm mid forties, out of shape and did fine.

Great little loop trail to get some fresh air and breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains. When on the trail, you will encounter a few forks, if you stay to the left each time you will successfully and easily complete this loop. Gradual, but easy incline in the beginning gets you to some beautiful meadows. There is one short, but steep incline that gets to a second meadow. The hike is flat and downhill from there. Took me and my pup about 1.5 hours total. Just a heads up, the hike turns into a bit of a bush whack on the connector train between horse flat trail and the lane horse trail on the backside. I wished I had worn long pants instead of shorts and a tank top!

Nice easy loop trail we added to the lame horse trail hike

Sunday, October 29, 2017