Horse Flat, Horse Spring and Lame Horse Trail Loop

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(58)
Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest

Horse Flat, Horse Spring and Lame Horse Trail Loop is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pleasant Grove, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.4 miles Elevation Gain: 521 feet Route Type: Loop

The Horse Flat trail leaves the summit trail and heads through stands of aspens for 0.3 miles to the junction with the Snow Gauging trail #189. From there, the trail heads up hill to a series of beautiful meadows with great views of Mount Timpanogos and the Lone Peak Wilderness. The trail continues to a small lake and then connects in with the Lame Horse trail #055.

Incredible trail especially RIGHT NOW!!! The leaves are perfect. If you time this hike perfectly when the quakies change you won’t find a prettier hike. There are some steep parts but well worth it.

Not as easy as I was led to believe. Some very steep points, but still mostly flat. Had to take an inhaler break. Lovely meadow views, gorgeous aspen-filled trail. LOTS of foliage. The trail is very skinny, so passing people makes it tight. Bikes and motor bikes are allowed, but I don’t think they should be. It didn’t even seem like a hike that bikers would enjoy, but it would be so hard to pass them if they weren’t already walking their bike. It is a horse trail, so watch your step and bring big spray. We have tons of bites. Very shady. Low traffic in the morning.

great easy trail for the little kids, great way to get out of the summer heat!

Shaded most of the way. Beautiful scenery. Saw a few moose.

Trail is beautiful and great for beginners or young kids. We did it with our 4 kids, ages 7, 4, 2, and 3 months. The 2 year old boy asked about half of it. The bugs were plentiful and we all left with a few bites, but sounds like bugs are a problem everywhere in the Wasatch this year due to all the rain/snow.

bring bug spray....my wife and I did 25min out and 25min back.it was a great workout July 21 2019. its a moderate..not easy.

Muy buena ruta para ir con niños, muy hermoso ver el prado en lo alto..

road is not horse trailer friendly. people drove like idiots. got all the way to the trail head and couldn't even pull in people parked both sides of the road

Love this hike! Decent amount of shade, beautiful views, good family hike, and the wild flowers smell like heaven! It’s a little muddy in a few spot at the moment but that could easily dry up in the next few days. Just don’t forget bug spray!! Lots of mosquitos near the pond and puddles.

This was an absolutely stunning hike! A few awesome novelties along the way (gorgeous meadow, fresh spring water, cute little frog pond and jungle like finale). Very easy going! Will definitely be hiking again!!

Beautiful hike, loved the scenery. Our 2 teens and 5 year old did just fine.

Camino cerrado para llegar al lugar todavia

Sun Aug 12 2018

Beautiful first half of this hike. We were the ONLY people on the trail at 8:30 AM. We did have four people on horse back towards the end. The second half is really overgrown and a bit jungly. But overall a nice quick hike with lovely scenery and hardly any traffic.

Sun Aug 05 2018

This is a great trail. We took our three kids ages 12, 10 and 8. If you choose to go up the Lame Horse side, be prepared for a steep climb and if you choose to start at the Horse Flat side, be prepared for a steep descent. There is a natural water spring (it flows into a trough) and the water coming from it is amazing so bring an empty bottle to fill it up.

Sat Jul 14 2018

Great hike! I had it all to myself..well except for the mosquitos. lol definately use bug spray! Butterflies were everywhere. Saw a buck. 1/3 of the trail is a bit claustrophobic because the vegetation is as tall as me and overgrowing the trail. The uphill portion got the heart pounding. I'm mid forties, out of shape and did fine.

Fri Jun 29 2018

Great little loop trail to get some fresh air and breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains. When on the trail, you will encounter a few forks, if you stay to the left each time you will successfully and easily complete this loop. Gradual, but easy incline in the beginning gets you to some beautiful meadows. There is one short, but steep incline that gets to a second meadow. The hike is flat and downhill from there. Took me and my pup about 1.5 hours total. Just a heads up, the hike turns into a bit of a bush whack on the connector train between horse flat trail and the lane horse trail on the backside. I wished I had worn long pants instead of shorts and a tank top!

Sat Mar 03 2018

Nice easy loop trail we added to the lame horse trail hike