Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Hop Valley and Kolob Arch Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(70)
Zion National Park

Hop Valley and Kolob Arch Trail is a 14.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hurricane, Utah that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 14.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,791 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Virgin: Drive northward on Kolob Terrace Road, toward Kolob Reservoir, approximately 14.5 miles. Look for a trailhead on the right side of the road immediately north of Spendlove Knoll.

I had no idea how beautiful this hike would be. 16 miles round trip about 8 hours hiking - had about 16 stream crossings we had to jump with varying degrees of success at keeping our feet less than soaked through. Trekking poles (with baskets) were helpful to use the pole vault technique across some streams. Started the hike in six inches of snow which dwindled to nothing as we lost attitude. On the way back snow was mostly melted.

After hiking down to the arch from Lee Pass, I followed the Hop Valley trail and finished my day at the Hop Valley Trailhead. This might be the only valley I've ever visited that requires a steep hike to get into and another steep hike to get out of! The part in between was very peaceful and quiet, and quite enjoyable. I never saw another person. At least half of the time you are hiking in deep sand, which is certainly more work and slows you down. If i had to do it over, I'd hike it in the other direction and start at Hop Valley and end at Lee Pass. The views are much better, it's mostly downhill, and the hike up to Lee Pass is MUCH easier.

Nice easy hike that run alongside long ridges with the valley payoff. One descent that is manageable. Unexpectedly, the trail was very sandy which makes for slower going.

8am We hiked this trail Sunday September 1st - From Hop Valley Trail head down to Kolob Arch- we lost the trail on the way down at Campsite A and B and continued down the Hop Valley Creek- that bush whacking took us 1 extra mile to get to the LaVerkin Creek- Although it was a very beautiful detour- We made it to the Arch and soaked our feet in the Creek and then started our trek back up 2000 feet of climb - The shade was gone going up and the sand was very deep and we had to trudge through. Many of our group of 9 ran out of water- so if you plan on doing this hike our way Next time I would pack more water down and make water drops. We made it out at 5pm. strenuous!! But very beautiful!!!!

lots of deep sand, gorgeously beautiful canyon walls. we came down lees pass to the arch. Beautiful. But the deep sand of the hop trail, would not have me coming back. Very little hiking pressure, saw only 3 other small groups of 2. None on the hop trail.

I’d give it a 4 during the spring and a 1 during the summer. I did this hike with a friend a couple years ago in early May and it was awesome, sand was bad at the start but once we got down to the valley it was fine. The valley was beautiful with canyon walls on each side. Then, tried to do it again backpacking in July and had to turn around halfway. Sand was VERY deep the whole way and once we got down to the valley there were major amounts of horseflies, my wife and I got bit pretty bad a couple dozen times. That’s what made us turn back, it was a no-go for sure. Definitely won’t do this hike again in the summer. Sand and horseflies made it terrible.

This is a beautiful trail; the views are nonstop from the beautiful plateau panoramas at the trailhead off Kolob Terrace Road, all the way down into and throughout Hob Canyon itself, and then just explodes in beauty once you prepare to drop into the valley where LaVerkin Creek flows. I started from the trailhead just a bit before 5:00am, so there was still dark and then shade for the majority of my run, but was almost nonexistent by 9:00am when I returned to the trailhead. A few things to note: there are quite a number of water crossings on the trail through Hob Canyon, not all of them easily doable without getting wet. If you’re trail running, as I was, I’d be prepared to run wet (not ideal), take the time to either switch shoes through the canyon (all of the wetter crossings were along the same stretch), or have the patience to take off and put back on shoes repeatedly. These water crossings wouldn’t have been a problem with good waterproof hiking boots, just a nuisance with the very mesh-heavy running shoes I was sporting. One other thing of note: this trail has a very high proportion of sandy sections. A lot of quite deep sand, a good portion of the way from the Trailhead, to the Kolob Arch, which is where I turned around and retraced my route. A beautiful route, to be sure, but I’m not sure I’d do it as a trail run again (I personally get too frustrated at the experience of running in deep sand). As an overnight or a few nights? Dreamy.

If I never had to do the hop valley trail again I would not mind! Zero views - zero water - zero shade - all deep sand - no thanks plenty more to do in zion. If you must take this trail for trans-zion - be sure to top off between la verkin sites 10-11. You wont have any access to water until wildcat a long ways away. Highly recommend to stash water at hop valley parking lot.

Sat May 04 2019

Good trail, but no shade...

Sun Apr 28 2019

Did this hike as a warm up for the subway hike. Did about 7miles round trip. Beautiful views. Planning on coming back and completing it.

Sat Apr 27 2019

I just hiked from Lee Pass through to the Canyon with a couple of friends of mine. We took Le Verkin, Hop Valley, Connector, Wildcat Canyon, and West Rim trails. In other words, we did this hike in the opposite direction of this entry (i.e. north to south). I really loved this trail. It doesn't get as much love as Le Verkin or West Rim, but I thought it was unique and well worth the time. We started at Le Verkin and hiked through to the connector trail. The hike starts with an incline. You basically hike up, out of Le Verkin, and then drop down into Hop Valley. Unlike Le Verkin, which can get somewhat narrow, Hop Valley is a flat, wide open canyon. If you start early in the morning you can stay in the shade for almost a third of the walk. The hike through the valley is almost all flat. There are sections of open sand and grassy brush. The sand sections were broken up by thin springs and shallow streams, so make sure to wear shoes that can get wet. Towards the end of the hike you exit the canyon and hike up to a grassy field. This is a great place to find a little shade and have a snack or lunch. At the end of the Hop Valley trail is a parking area with a bathroom and trash cans, so if you're backpacking, a great place to drop your waste.

Thu Apr 18 2019

This Tra was recommended to us by the local hike shop to beat the crowds. We took it with our 6 and 10 year old. Saw only one hiker and the kids loved it. A lot to play on the river and mountains. For a real hike I would only do it with camping in the valley for a night and going into the mountains and not only the plateau.

private property
Wed Mar 27 2019

Only did 2.7 miles in but the views were spectacular. The sandy parts aren’t that bad. Saw mule deer

Mon Jul 16 2018

Backpacked from Kolob Arch side down to the camping spots (a mile from Kolob Arch) then backpacked back up the same direction. There’s running water for filtering. It was so pretty. My first backpacking trip.

Thu Jun 21 2018

Extremely sandy. Make sure to go through the wheat field pasture after the first gate, going left will give you an extra 3-4 miles of sand dune hiking round trip to backtrack to the gate. The majesty of the La Verkin Creek is incredible and worth it!

Sun Jun 03 2018

Stayed overnight at campsite #11, highly recommend this site. Hike along Hop Valley is very sandy but the reward at La Verkin Creek and Kolob Canyon was worth it.

Thu May 31 2018

Hiked in May 2018. We only took this route to the Kolob Arch because Kolob Canyon Road was closed. Turns out the Hop Valley Trail itself was more of a treat than the glimpse of the Kolob Arch! I would go this way again, on purpose next time!

Tue May 22 2018

Great vistas throughout the hike. Be prepared for multiple river crossings and ready to hike in miles of sand! Elevation changes vary and super fun and challenging when packing all of your gear. Bring bug repellent! No water sources until Beauty springs.

Tue May 22 2018

We did this trail last week. The trail is very sandy so expect to get a good workout. It is relatively flat until you reach the descent into the valley to the campsite. The valley itself has stunning views especially during sunrise. Expect to get your feet wet in the valley as you are going to cross the creek about a dozen times until you reach the hop valley campsite. The portion of the trail from the campsite to the Kolob arch does contain some steep hills but the view of the arch itself is worth it once you arrive. The arch is off in the distance and is easy to miss if you aren’t paying attention to the signs. Relatively few people were walking this trail so it was a great way to get great scenery in without the crowds.

Tue May 08 2018

We finished La Verkin Creek, bypassing Kolob Arch and heading into Hop Valley on day two on the Trans Zion Trek. Least favorite day of the trip. Huge inclines, no water unless you grab it on La Verkin. From here we went to the connector trail.

Wed Dec 20 2017

the Kolob Arch is misleading. It's much further away from the trail then it seems from pictures. Someone carved into a tree to look up at basically the closest you can get on trail.

Sat Jun 03 2017

Part of Zion Traverse---excellent!! The views from both ends of the trail more than make up for the sandy trail sections. Easy passage; we did it in the AM and it was very tolerable.

Fri May 26 2017

Great views!

Thu Apr 13 2017

Great hike!

Sat Mar 25 2017

The first six miles that take you through the Hop Valley are OK. You're basically walking through one long cow pasture with a dozen or so Creek crossings. But dropping down to the Laverkin Creek and up to Kolob Arch are the highlights. Good views, very Zion-esque. I'd try reaching Kolob Arch again only come from the North next time to see if it's any more scenic.

Tue Mar 29 2016

Fun trail, very different from the Zion Canyon. Views along the river are very peaceful. Ideal visit in mid march, after the thaw, but once the mud has hardenned up. Plan a long day!

Mon May 25 2015

First night second day's hike in Hop Valley. A beautiful sunrise and a long days hike. Trail was moderate.