Hobbs Canyon Trail

Hobbs Canyon Trail is a 2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Layton, Utah that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Small trail heading up a pleasant canyon. The trail more or less follows the stream, but at times the streambed is rather deep. There is also a trail on the ridge to the north, but it will require a scramble up the hill.

I give this hike one star for several reasons. Very first thing is the trailhead is very difficult to find. There is no trail marker and the trailhead looks like no more than a small game path. Second the entire trail is very overgrown, lack of foot traffic and trail maintenance. This makes the trail very difficult to follow. We almost lost the trail entirely a few times, I would recommend long pants because you’ll be bush whacking most of it. And last but not least, the trail should be rated moderate/hard. It’s VERY steep most of the way up and the trail is mostly comprised of loose broken shale. .

Nice trail to go on in the fall. Follows the stream up the mountain, has great views. Eventually had to turn around at an area with a rock slide, couldn’t find the tail after it. I was on the trail for a couple hours and didn’t see anyone else.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

This trail looked like it was going to be great but once we finally found it there was too much overgrowth to get through without a machete. Based on previous reviews I assume its been growing in slowly and now it's just not usable until some brave soul clears it out.

Sunday, June 25, 2017

If you go on this trail prepare for non-stop inclines and a very small trail with overgrown plants in either side. That being said I really enjoyed myself, the best part is that I had the entire trail to myself. I don't know if I made it to the top because I hit a point where the trail pretty much ended and I didn't know which way to go. it was unfortunate that I didn't get to see the creek that much it rarely came into view along the trail. Honestly I would go to a different trail unless you enjoy being away from everybody.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Fun trail run, river rock crossing, foraging, views, etc.

Sunday, October 09, 2016

It was a beautiful trail, but tricky to find. The ap takes you right to the trailhead, but there's no parking allowed there. You have to park where it's designated for Bonneville shoreline. There's a trail that will take you up to the trailhead for Hobbs Canyon. It's not marked. It begins just a few steps south of the dead end cul-de-sac. You'll see the Bonneville shoreline trail, which is a wider trail. It heads south. To the left of it, there's a narrower trail that heads due east. This is the Hobb's Canyon trail. It follows the north side of the river. I'll add a picture of the beginning of the trailhead to help.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Beautiful view. Went with my dog. It's a great trail. Pretty easy. She now smells bad, though.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Went about 7:00 pm in 100 degree weather. Trail is completely shaded for most of the trail so the temp did not bother us at all. Beautiful scenery with a moderate incline. Some of the trail has loose gravel and rocks which makes it difficult to get a firm footing when going back down the trail. This trail does not seemed to be used much. Parts of it were a little overgrown and We did not see even one other person for the 2+ hours we were on this trail.

Monday, June 06, 2016

Beautiful views, strenuous. Good workout. Plenty of shade most of the time.

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Took 8 and 10 year olds. Super pretty

Friday, April 22, 2016

It was good. However, the trail nor the trail head was marked so I didn't know where I was going, hahaha luckily the directions on this app took straight to it. There was no parking at the trailhead so we had to park back where there was parking for the bonneville trail and then walk up to the supposedly Hobbs canyon trailhead. Neighborhood houses and no parking signs at the trailhead. Anyway, we went past the gated area and began the hike. There were several trails that came off this trail and the Hobbs canyon trail was not marked so we just hiked and ended up on the bonneville trail. We hiked in and out 4.6 miles. The first part of the trail was exposed no shade so it was hot. But after you get into about a mile in there were trees that provided some shade. Beautiful spring flowers, sage and cherry blossom tree scents, amazing views, and the sound of the flowing creek made it a great hike regardless if we were in Hobbs canyon trail or the bonneville trail. The trail was easy to moderate difficulty, the trail had flat areas, climbs and some drops throughout the trail which was nice change ups. We shared the trail with mountain bikes and other hikers, we saw horses too. I will be doing it again and try the other trails on the area.

Sunday, August 09, 2015

Decent trail, but needs more travel. The trail has clear signs of erosion control, so it's maintained, but not enough foot traffic to keep the underbrush down. I turned around at 3/4 mark because ferns had overtaken the trail. Probably much better in the fall/winter

Thursday, April 16, 2015

This one gives you no time to rest, it starts going up right away, but during the right time of year this is a great place to view wild flowers and further up the trail are small patches of quakies and great views.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

The first little bit was painful and steep, but once you got to the first rocky overlook, it all leveled out and the hike turned out to be very rewarding. I did this one in April, and there was lots of spring flowers in the meadows that provided some color.

Saturday, July 01, 2017