Highline Trail is a 101.6 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Kamas, Utah that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 101.6 miles Elevation Gain: 18,097 feet Route Type: Point to Point

This trail is in the High Uintas Wilderness, and follows the Uinta Mountains from Mirror Lake on the west to Forest Service Road 043, northwest of Vernal, on the east. Much of the trail is above 10,000 ft. and the treeline.

One of the best multiday hikes i’ve ever done! A hidden gem

Definitely not a “beginner” through-hike. This has been the best hike I’ve ever done. It was tough, but worth it. Weather CONSTANTLY changes on a seemingly hour basis. We had blazing sun, the rain, then snow, then hail, in about a 2-hour span. It’s more open terrain so prepare for direct sunlight most of the hike. You won’t see many people on most of the trail, with the exception of gunsight pass (splits Henry fork trailhead and kings peak). Doing it again for sure.

Did this trail in 5 days in 2018 with 3 of my kids. Went east to west. Might skip the first 16 miles next time.

Great hike, did about 50 miles last year. Prepare for cold weather, there was snow on Rocky Sea Pass even into August. Very rewarding and demanding trip.

W

Incredible. Dense pines, passing briefly through a forest fire burn after about two miles, wild flowers, 23 bridge crossings, two large river crossings over logs or fallen trees, and best of all, after about 9 miles, Pidgeon Milk Springs, the best clean water you'll ever taste. Rocky. Not too steep. The Highline Trail leads many hikers into Naturalist basin and further into Upper Rock Creek Basin. Lots of mosquitos in July as you get about 6 miles in.

Just back after hiking from Chepeta to Mirror Lake in 4 days (7/22-25/19). Oh, this is gorgeous country! Took hundreds of photos. Saw a massive herd of elk, several moose, some goats, many deer, no bears. And lots of mosquitoes but DEET worked incredibly well for me. The trails were often wet and soggy, but snow is mostly gone - really only a problem over Deadhorse pass, and even there no spikes or ax required. Cairns are a wonderful thing, but the trail was occasionally hard to follow because it was washed out - be sure to have GPS available!

Simply Amazing!!!! Trip date was from July 19-23, 2019. This trip was one of the hardest but most rewarding backpacking trips that I have ever been on. The trail was beautiful in many ways and has something to offer for just about everyone. It took plenty of endurance and willpower to complete the trip in the 5 days and 4 nights that I spent on the trail. This is not a trail for a first time backpacker or somebody that is not in shape. When I do this trip again I will spend extra time on the trail to shorten your miles per day and enjoy more of the scenery, wildlife, and fishing that this trail offers. Due to limited battery power on my phone, Garmin GPS InReach Explorer+, and my battery bank, I had to shut off the Alltrails record option. This was due to the length of the trip and the battery drain that was happening to my phone in record mode. The most rewarding views were the view of Fox Lake from North Pole Pass and the view of Dead Horse Lake from Red Knob Pass. Absolutely stunning!!! The fishing at Kidney Lakes was also amazing!! Great trip and I highly recommend it. Just be careful on the trail ascending and descending the many passes. Depending on the snow conditions these can prove treacherous as they were for me this early in the year. Enjoy and be safe! I documented the whole trip and will post a series of videos on Youtube to highlight the trip. Videos will be posted here when uploaded and available. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLur7Nx5I7sMMPt9u-gqsiIXQfCKaq8CpM

Sat Sep 08 2018

This is a fantastic hike. We only had time to go about 2 miles in. We saw birds, deer, squirrels and chipmunks. We took our 7 year old and she was fine for this portion of the trail. I would consider this a technical hike due to the rocky terrain and the horse crap. Over all this was a great hike with great views.

Sun Jul 15 2018

Wonderful.

Wed Jul 04 2018

Did it last year, but started in Vernal instead and added that to the whole thing. We did it in 8 days. Spent day 2 and most of day 3 lost and all the water dried up in that part since last year was so dry. It's a grind, bring plenty of cigarettes.

Sun Jun 17 2018

amazing i did this hike from leadie peak off of highway 40. came out on Mirror Lake Highway we did this whole entire trip in 8 days could have done it in 5 Kings Peak was great that was day 5 we need to see anybody until we got to Kings Peak backpacking fly rod fishing was amazing. they were so good to eat refreshing in you. drinking from the mountains is great do you have to use a filter porcupine pass was really tough and dead horse pass and Rocky sea pass or a couple other ones that were tough North Pole pass actually you were snowed on and rained mixed with thunder and lightning very scary at times because you're the tallest things up there Red Mountain Pass was beautiful and amazing this backpacking trip is definitely one you should have on your bucket list for me it was everything and more once I reach destination I realize I was just getting warmed up and the Pacific Crest Trail is in my sights next then after that maybe the 80 but for now I'm going to go conquer Frank Church the Wilderness of no return.

Fri Jun 01 2018

Let us be honest here...this is NOT a moderate trail that you can just show up to and expect you and the kids to complete or even get through. I am not sure of the other posters here, or why this is even in the moderate category to be honest. I see trails on here that I can park on pavement on the edge of SLC, complete in a day or less that are less straining than my treadmill, and they are considered moderate or advanced? Sorry folks I have been doing this trail for years, multiple times a year in fact, including winter.... and between the elevation, terrain, and weather, if you have never hiked the backcountry, this is NOT the trail for you without experience. THIS IS AN ADVANCED trail. Please please please, if you are posting on this site, please give your experience level so it is not misleading to those that are just starting. This trail may be moderate to you because you have been backpacking for years, but may kill someone if all information is not given. This is one of the reasons why people just starting or with moderate experience wind up on the news being rescued because they thought they were only going for a moderate hike, etc...smh All that said, I am an advanced Backpacker/hiker of 25 years, and this is the Ultimate hike/backpacking experience in Utah without a doubt! High elevation, beautiful scenery and solitude...be ready to take your time and spend a week or two just feeding your soul! This is not a hike for the weekend warrior, in fact it can take a couple weeks if you do the whole thing and really enjoy it! Very good hike/backpacking trail to recharge your batteries! This trail also scales in difficulty with the seasons to always provide the challenge one is looking for! Before taking on this trail, make sure you research it thoroughly, as well as altitude sickness, and what flora and fauna you can find just to be safe!. Also, make sure you have basic survival skills, a way to navigate and communicate if needed, etc. If you do not plan your days right, you can wind up in areas of the trail that are not human-friendly at the worst times and on this trail could be life or death. Same goes for if you get injured and dont know how to treat yourself. If you do your research and plan accordingly, you can enjoy mountain camping, fresh water and a bit of fishing every night to finish your day in one of the most secluded and untouched areas of the United states. Please be cautious and do your homework though!!!! I cant stress this enough! This is a very demanding trail, but one that will leave you with lifelong memories if you play your cards right!.

Tue May 29 2018

Me and my mom hiked this trail in August of 2017. We completed 50 miles of it from mirror lake to moon lake in 5 days. Prepare for cold nights and light rain during the day. Some pretty amazing thunder storms during the night. One of the best experiences of my life. Two very difficult passes to get over but other than that it was moderately difficult.

Sun Jan 07 2018

My son and I along with his friend Isaac hiked the trail in 2016. Here is a video clip from our hike. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXplSAsahD8 Pack light and take sun screen, fishing pole, water bottle that purifies and, take the InReach Explorer for communicating and GPS. With it I was able to communicate with my wife by email and it tracked our course every 20 minutes and posted it on Facebook for those that wanted to follow us on the map.

Wed Jul 12 2017

Hiking the Highline Trail is becoming my annual tradition. Started this hike last Saturday and ended up hiking out Tuesday out of Henry's Fork because of bad lightning/thunder conditions. This trail is beautiful and the scenery is just breathtaking. If you like to fly fish, I would highly recommend this Trail because of all the lakes along the way. I rate this Trail as moderate with a couple hard sections (Anderson Pass and a quick detour to Kings Peak).

Sat Sep 10 2016

Only did 5 miles.....but amazing

Sun Jul 31 2016

It was a lot of fun! Long ways there's a lot of steep parts going over a pass or 2 a day very beautiful country you won't see anyone on this trail if your looking for privacy this is the place. Did rain often to bring rain gear

Mon Jul 18 2016

Steep very steep

Thu Aug 01 1985

Hiked from Chepeta Lake at the east end of the Uinta Wildernes to Mirror Lake. Lots of Lakes, Kings Peak and many passes with great views.