Highline Trail

Highline Trail is a 64.6 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Kamas, Utah that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Point to Point

This trail is in the High Uintas Wilderness, and follows the Uinta Mountains from Mirror Lake on the west to Forest Service Road 043, northwest of Vernal, on the east. Much of the trail is above 10,000 ft. and the treeline.

amazing i did this hike from leadie peak off of highway 40. came out on Mirror Lake Highway we did this whole entire trip in 8 days could have done it in 5 Kings Peak was great that was day 5 we need to see anybody until we got to Kings Peak backpacking fly rod fishing was amazing. they were so good to eat refreshing in you. drinking from the mountains is great do you have to use a filter porcupine pass was really tough and dead horse pass and Rocky sea pass or a couple other ones that were tough North Pole pass actually you were snowed on and rained mixed with thunder and lightning very scary at times because you're the tallest things up there Red Mountain Pass was beautiful and amazing this backpacking trip is definitely one you should have on your bucket list for me it was everything and more once I reach destination I realize I was just getting warmed up and the Pacific Crest Trail is in my sights next then after that maybe the 80 but for now I'm going to go conquer Frank Church the Wilderness of no return.

Let us be honest here...this is NOT a moderate trail that you can just show up to and expect you and the kids to complete or even get through. I am not sure of the other posters here, or why this is even in the moderate category to be honest. I see trails on here that I can park on pavement on the edge of SLC, complete in a day or less that are less straining than my treadmill, and they are considered moderate or advanced? Sorry folks I have been doing this trail for years, multiple times a year in fact, including winter.... and between the elevation, terrain, and weather, if you have never hiked the backcountry, this is NOT the trail for you without experience. THIS IS AN ADVANCED trail. Please please please, if you are posting on this site, please give your experience level so it is not misleading to those that are just starting. This trail may be moderate to you because you have been backpacking for years, but may kill someone if all information is not given. This is one of the reasons why people just starting or with moderate experience wind up on the news being rescued because they thought they were only going for a moderate hike, etc...smh

All that said, I am an advanced Backpacker/hiker of 25 years, and this is the Ultimate hike/backpacking experience in Utah without a doubt! High elevation, beautiful scenery and solitude...be ready to take your time and spend a week or two just feeding your soul! This is not a hike for the weekend warrior, in fact it can take a couple weeks if you do the whole thing and really enjoy it! Very good hike/backpacking trail to recharge your batteries! This trail also scales in difficulty with the seasons to always provide the challenge one is looking for! Before taking on this trail, make sure you research it thoroughly, as well as altitude sickness, and what flora and fauna you can find just to be safe!. Also, make sure you have basic survival skills, a way to navigate and communicate if needed, etc. If you do not plan your days right, you can wind up in areas of the trail that are not human-friendly at the worst times and on this trail could be life or death. Same goes for if you get injured and dont know how to treat yourself. If you do your research and plan accordingly, you can enjoy mountain camping, fresh water and a bit of fishing every night to finish your day in one of the most secluded and untouched areas of the United states. Please be cautious and do your homework though!!!! I cant stress this enough! This is a very demanding trail, but one that will leave you with lifelong memories if you play your cards right!.

Me and my mom hiked this trail in August of 2017. We completed 50 miles of it from mirror lake to moon lake in 5 days. Prepare for cold nights and light rain during the day. Some pretty amazing thunder storms during the night. One of the best experiences of my life. Two very difficult passes to get over but other than that it was moderately difficult.

My son and I along with his friend Isaac hiked the trail in 2016.
Here is a video clip from our hike.

Pack light and take sun screen, fishing pole, water bottle that purifies and, take the InReach Explorer for communicating and GPS. With it I was able to communicate with my wife by email and it tracked our course every 20 minutes and posted it on Facebook for those that wanted to follow us on the map.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Hiking the Highline Trail is becoming my annual tradition. Started this hike last Saturday and ended up hiking out Tuesday out of Henry's Fork because of bad lightning/thunder conditions. This trail is beautiful and the scenery is just breathtaking. If you like to fly fish, I would highly recommend this Trail because of all the lakes along the way. I rate this Trail as moderate with a couple hard sections (Anderson Pass and a quick detour to Kings Peak).

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Only did 5 miles.....but amazing

Sunday, July 31, 2016

It was a lot of fun! Long ways there's a lot of steep parts going over a pass or 2 a day very beautiful country you won't see anyone on this trail if your looking for privacy this is the place. Did rain often to bring rain gear

Monday, July 18, 2016

Steep very steep

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Hiked from Chepeta Lake at the east end of the Uinta Wildernes to Mirror Lake. Lots of Lakes, Kings Peak and many passes with great views.

Friday, June 30, 2017