Hidden Valley Trail

Hidden Valley Trail is a 6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Moab, Utah that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,171 feet Route Type: Out & Back

From the parking area, follow the trail up to the base of the Moab Rim and then ascend a series of steep switchbacks. At the top of the switchbacks, the trial heads north and enters Hidden Valley - a broad shelf between the top of the Moab Rim and Spanish Valley. Follow the trail to a low rise that separates the two halves of Hidden Valley and continue along through the northern section to a point where the trail swings to the left and goes over a low pass. At the pass, the hiker will be rewarded with a view of the large sandstone fins of the Behind the Rocks area. The trail continues down the west side of the pass for about 1/3 mile where it meets the Moab Rim four-wheel-drive trail. The hike may be extended to the Colorado River by following the Moab Rim four-wheel-drive trail to its starting point. NOTE: During the late afternoon, in the summer, this trail is largely in the shade of higher cliffs.

You get a massive reward for the climb in the beginning. HIkes this early in the morning and was the only one out there. The fins are quite a sight.

Great trail. Nice views both out and back. Rated as hard, but really not too bad. Even though it is a well defined trail, somehow took a wrong turn right where the trail hits its high point. It was kind of a pleasant surprise as it passed several panels of petroglyphs before dropping down to rejoin the main trail.

My favorite hike in Moab! Good workout & gorgeous views and meadow at the top!

Such a pretty hike. Great views of the La Sal mountains. Our 3 and 6 year old did it with minimal stopping.

The Hidden Valley Trail is now one of my favorites. One the things that can make a hike great is a changing landscape. The surprise of have those new pieces of landscape revealed to me when I top a rise or round a boulder bring forth a smile of joy. I got a few smiles on the Hidden Valley Trail. The Hidden Valley Trail starts off with a steep rocky switchback climb. At first it seemed a bit itimidating, but as I rose away from the highway, the bonds of civilization began to slip away. I'm not in the best shape right now and I had to stop a few times to catch my breath but that gave me an equal number of opportunities to look back at the shrinking landscape below. In about half a mile, I had climbed about 600 feet. As I approached the top, I didn't know what i was going to see, but I was hoping for something great. My hopes were rewarded. A beautiful flat valley was laid out before me. This was mid-September and there had been rain in the past few days and the valley was a mix of green plants and yellow grass. The valley before me was a couple hundred yards long, with a rise and a large boulder at the end. As I walked down the middle of the valley, I couldn't see the highway that was to my right, but I could still hear some of the traffic sounds bouncing off the high rock wall to my left. I hiked to the end of the valley, climbed the rise, and made my way past the boulder. This time another valley was revealed to me. This second valley was much the same as the first, but had a higher rise at the end and a larger collection of boulders there as well. As I walked down this second valley, I no longer heard the sounds of man and was now fully in the embrace of nature. Wildlife was present in these valleys, but mostly in the form of small fast lizards and large slow ants. On the path, the lizards would scurry away from me while the ants trundled on in the work. I did see at one point a small mammel run across the trail in front of me. I did not get a close enough view of the furry critter to identify it, but I marveled at its speed as it ran further away from me. Crows visted the valley a couple of times and called out to each other. At the end of the second valley, the rise revealed that the path would wind its way down in a rocky area broken up by piñon pine. There were a few small cairns here and there to help keep me on the trails. In the distance I could see a cliff and mesa and more rock formations that I simply don't have the vocabulary to describe. To my right was a spine of sandstone that the effects of time was slowly breaking apart. I followed the trail to its end, a few hundred feet where it joined up with a jeep track called the Moab Rim Trail. I spent nearly six hours making the round trip of six miles. This is a slow pace to hike, but I can think of no other way to enjoy such a hike. I stopped a few times to snap pictures or to just sit in the wilderness to soak up nature into my soul. The total elevation gain of about eleven hundred feet is a respectable amount of work, but not so much as to ruin me for the rest of the day. Since the first 600 feet of gain is in just one-sixth of the total hike, having the other 500 feet of elevation gain spread out over the remaining hike doesn't seem as much of an effort.

Hot as the devil's ass crack on the four of July, but the trail was fun! long pants if you can for the flat portion tons of prickly shrub, don't go on this if you got weak ankles tho bihhhhh

Steep start but so worth it.

The first 0.6 miles climbs quickly, but the views at the top are worth it. Bring plenty of water, as there is very little shade. We started about 7:30 am in mid June and had a few places we could get shade behind rocks or trees. But by the time we finished at 10:30, there was little shade to be had.

Great morning hike

it is a great trail but my issue was they were no signs what so ever to tell me which way to go and I was by myself so it was a little bit of a struggle.

Lovely in the afternoon in mid April. Some shade by 3-4 pm. Only 2 miles and 680 ft elevation gain to the pass. View of the La Sals over the valley was gorgeous. Rock art at the pass was fun.

The beginning of the trail is very tough, meaning you go about 1,000 feet up in about a mile. But once you get up to the Hidden Valley area it is breath taking.

pointless

Beautiful hike in the Spring when all the greenery in coming into bloom. The first part of the hike is steep but then it becomes very mellow, and the view at the end is gorgeous. This hike is manageable if you are carrying a child in a baby backpack.

Steep incline at the beginning, then flattens out. Nice view, beautiful cliffs. Path is rocky and narrow. Fun, moderate-level hike

The climb up is much easier than it looks. The last mile after the second valley is less exciting for hiking.

Too icy, we had to turn around!

Fri Oct 05 2018

We had a great hike this afternoon from 1:30-4:30. We didn’t find the“difficult” rating to be as forbidding as expected; all four in our group managed it just fine. The views in all directions are wonderful and the petroglyphs one finds along the high-rocks base (as others have indicated) on the right side just kept getting better and better. We really loved this hike, especially because we had the trail to ourselves much of the time, only encountering a handful of other friendly hikers. The weather was perfect today too—cool, a few clouds, but mostly sunny after morning rain.

Sun Sep 30 2018

The petroglyphs are amazing!! Once you get through the valley, head to the right when the trail forks.

Sat Sep 22 2018

this hike is awesome in all seasons. bring water and go early in the summer; bring a walking stick and sunglasses in winter. it is kind of a beastly uphill climb in the first half mile; but worth every second. if I can do it; most anyone can. once you get up top - there’s views for days and secret treasures to be found all over. secrets of nature & secrets of the ancients ;) bunnies, lizards; falcons and tons of wildlife. PLEASE be polite when heading down the residential road to this trailhead •DRIVE LIKE YOUR KIDS LIVE HERE•

Sun Sep 02 2018

I enjoyed this - this was my first hike ever so may be a bit biased!

Fri Aug 31 2018

We got a late start,10:00am ,not recommended because the cliffs are in the sun. However, once we got to the valley it was really nice with good views. I could see that this could be a very hot hike during the day but we were treated to a very nice breeze which keep things comfortable. If I were to do this again lat afternoon or early evening before the sets would be the plan.