Hidden Valley Trail

Hidden Valley Trail is a 4.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Ogden, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,001 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The path to Hidden Valley uses the Indian Trail for approximately one-half mile. At this point a trail leads up into the hills and back to the south, and can easily be missed so watch for words painted on rocks on the uphill side of the trail. This is the beginning of the Hidden Valley Trail. It is a fairly steep trail but the path is well defined. The hike is about 2.5 miles one-way dead end. It calls for a vertical ascent of about 2,200 feet. Hidden Valley, a substantial mountain bowl, was for centuries a favored hunting ground for Indians, trappers and the early pioneers. Populations of Rocky Mountain sheep, deer, elk and other game animals used the area for spring forage or relief from the heat of the summer. The hike offers spectacular views of the Ogden area. Carry along water and a snack. This is a non-accessible, simple/minor developed trail.

1 hour ago

Terrific trail and many changes in scenery. Meadows, desert, and otter amazing terrains...

Excellent trail, very pretty. But man... those inclines, though!

Excellent hike, challenging with the steep ascent but well worth the view and rock tower at the top. Highly recommend.

This little trail kicked my trash! I did it at the hottest time of the day which was a mistake and after I hiked the Indian trail. Pretty steep at some points. Beautiful view once you get to the end

Steep, rocky, dusty trail, so definitely challenging. But the scenery is gorgeous once you get into the hidden valley. The meadows and the trees help to cool the air during the summer. Lovely views as well. Definitely recommend.

This trail was definitely one of the steeper ones I have done. I completed it in about 3.5 hours and to be honest I felt the view at the end didn’t live up to the work it took to get there. I did hear the route from Taylor’s Canyon is much more pleasant. When I got to the top of this trail I couldn’t even stay long because of all the bugs. It was hot and mostly unshaded and I wish I would’ve had poles. I feel like you can get similar views from other trails in the area without killing your legs on the incline and with much more shade.

Great view. Beautiful morning hike. Reached the top at noon. You will miss the turn if you are not watching... sign is on the little rock. Beautiful meadows.

very steep climb up. it was worth it in the end. the wildflowers are beautiful. we definitely had to take it slow at parts going back down because of the steepness and the loose gravel, but we made it just fine in our trail running shoes. multiple hikers we met on the way back down told us we should have kept going at the top and taken Taylor's canyon down as it'll loop back around to the cars as well.

This hike definitely falls into the hard category with long stretches of vertical climb. Hiking shoes/boots are a must as trail is rocky and loose in spots. Trail is narrow and sunny for the most part. I enjoyed the challenge and length of this hike. We clocked 6 miles total from 22nd St trailhead. (Good parking at the trailhead on paved road). Glad it wasn’t another mile longer! There were lots of scenery changes - valley views, rocky outcrops, forest and lush valleys, wildflowers, and dense brush. Things level out once you reach the narrow valley at the top. You know you’ve reached the end of the hike when you get to the large cairn with a gorgeous open view of the mountain across hidden valley. It’s worth sticking it out to the end of trail! Just pace yourself and take breaks after the steeper climbs and save some water for the way back. It’s slower going than you’d think on the way down due to the steepness of trail.

Not moderate by any scale I'm familiar with and I've hiked just about every trail from Ogden Canyon to Mueller park in Bountiful. It is a grind with no shade until you do 1000 ft+ of elevation gain--start early and take lots of water. Well-maintained trail though often fallen trees/muddy on the last mile. The views at the "end" are spectacular.

Pretty difficult, we did it while carrying 2 kids. The top is beautiful with pine trees and a great view. You need to go when the flowers are in bloom.

Love this hike. I think more difficult than moderate. It’s a steep uphill. Went up Hidden Valley and came down Taylor Canyon. Had to cross the stream 3 times on the way down. Not easy with rushing water but it made it exciting. I would not take a kid on the Taylor Canyon part of this hike until stream can easily be crossed. We were so thankful we did not have our 6 yr old with us!

Pretty nice hike, but I would say it's closer to difficult than moderate. We hiked to the top, then continued past the rock pile that marks the end, down into Taylor Canyon. We then took the Taylor Canyon trail back to the 22nd Street trailhead. Parts of the loop were quite rough and un-maintained, and I would recommend wearing long pants. Not much shade is available, especially in the afternoon, so I would recommend going before 8 am. It took us about 4 hours to complete the loop at an easy-going pace. The turnoff from Indian Trail is very easy to miss and unmarked, so keep an eye out for what looks like a pile of rocks you can climb up and perhaps keep your phone's GPS on.

Not a lot of shade for the first 1.75 miles, and a bit of snow the last .5.

This was a steep trail. I have hiked some rated as difficult that were comparable to this one, maybe even easier. We enjoyed the beautiful views of the valley and the trail was reasonably easy to follow. Although we hit one spot where it was not clear if we had taken a wrong turn but appeared to be off the trail so we turned around.

Cut the last portion of the trail in. Snow is about 2 feet deep in the last section

The trail was well defined, serene, and quiet. I recommend, some water, a snack, spikes, and snowshoes. Worth the views!!

A real hidden gem, did this last week, got a little snow. I could see where the vegetation could block the views, but in the fall it was beautiful.

It was a really challenging trail for me. It’s a good trail to overlook the city, but not much of an escape. I would recommend it for fireworks watching. The traffic, planes, trains, and emergency vehicles are audible all the way up the trail. The work you put in doesn’t feel like an equal output.

Enjoyed the challenging hike during the cooler temperatures. Very peaceful at the end to relax.

Did approximately 3 1/2 miles round trip. Nice climb

Thursday, August 16, 2018

I did this hike by myself and for starters I would say it was harder than moderate... I’m a distance runner so I would say I am in pretty good shape and this hike kicked my ass! Very very steep and there’s hardly any shade so it was sooo hot. I didn’t have a lot of water left and I was dehydrated and I was alone so I didn’t make it to the top because I was nervous about fainting so I turned around after 2 miles. Pretty hike and very challenging. Would like to do it in colder weather for sure. If you’re looking for a challenge this is a great hike to do. When you turn off the indian trail pay attention bc I missed it but thanks to this app I found it quickly.

Wednesday, August 01, 2018

My husband and I and our friend Erin completed this hike on July 28. We started the hike at about 12:30, and made it down around 3:30 (although we did jog part of the way down). It was a 100* day, and only 10% of the trail is shaded, so we were roasting. The trail is moderately inclined the entire way, with sections that are severely steep. We stopped probably 10 times on the way up. The views at the top were great.... we're glad we made it! My only complaint for this hike is the directions. I've been on the Indian Trail multiple times and never noticed the turnoff for Hidden Valley. Would definitely recommend this hike for anyone who is in good shape and ready to take on a serious climb.

Sunday, July 15, 2018

Love this hike! It’s probably in my top top 3 in Ogden ❤️ it’s definitely a steep climb but the climb is worth the view!

Friday, July 06, 2018

Love this hike, but we ran into a rattlesnake this morning (July 6) so we ended up turning around. It’s also possible it was a gopher snake. It was only 7:00am so we totally thought we were going early enough. Just be careful on the warm summer mornings.

Monday, June 25, 2018

I would say this hike is a bit more on the harder side of moderate. There wasn’t much shade, so definitely wear sunscreen! We saw LOTS of lizards, butterflies, dragonflies and a couple of hawks.

Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Hiked this trail this morning, June 20, 2018, from 22nd Street via the lower Indian Trail connector, to the cairns overlooking Taylor Canyon. There are two cairns, one a little larger than the other, to each of which I added my rock. Fun hike, slightly strenuous, some loose and steep spots, but enjoyable. Passed through a couple of small meadows filled with wildflowers and dragonflies. Duration: 2:22:06, distance: 5.03 miles, elevation gain: 2,111 ft.

Thursday, June 14, 2018

Amazing trail, very steep, but that's what we are looking for.

Monday, May 28, 2018

the top of this hike is so peaceful and quiet it is a perfect escape from everything. you could hangout at the top and just look at the valley forever.

Saturday, May 05, 2018

One of my favorite hikes. If you’re looking for a good workout with a good view at the end of it then go this trail. Went up today and encountered a rattlesnake so keep an eye out. Passed by a couple hikers and a biker but the trail wasn’t traveled much. No snow or muddy spots and the backside of the trail where you connect with Taylor trail was clear as well. Definitely worth the time.