Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started
Learn more

Hidden Valley Trail is a 4.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Ogden, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,001 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The path to Hidden Valley uses the Indian Trail for approximately one-half mile. At this point a trail leads up into the hills and back to the south, and can easily be missed so watch for words painted on rocks on the uphill side of the trail. This is the beginning of the Hidden Valley Trail. It is a fairly steep trail but the path is well defined. The hike is about 2.5 miles one-way dead end. It calls for a vertical ascent of about 2,200 feet. Hidden Valley, a substantial mountain bowl, was for centuries a favored hunting ground for Indians, trappers and the early pioneers. Populations of Rocky Mountain sheep, deer, elk and other game animals used the area for spring forage or relief from the heat of the summer. The hike offers spectacular views of the Ogden area. Carry along water and a snack. This is a non-accessible, simple/minor developed trail.

icy

Awesome hike. still a lot of snow. Last 1.5 miles is thru snow. Didnt. bring crampons but wish I had. Cold the top too, have another layer. Hiking pole for sure will save ya coming down when its slick. Amazing views!

icy

Quick trip up this Valentine's morning. Extremely icy, but once in the Valley it was perfect. Going down takes a little more effort due to conditions.

Loved the hike. Great views. Some of trail unclear due to recent snow and no other tracks. Bring snowshoes if going close to this time. 2/4/20

Just did Hidden valley on 12/8. Definitely bring your snowshoes and poles. The packed trail gets narrow in spots but overall a great hike. I would not recommend continuing down into Taylor canyon unless you want a challenge. There are only two sets of tracks going this way (one being mine).

New favorite trail! The view, from all angles, are amazing! Steep but not nearly as bad as I was expecting. Gorgeous and will definitely be back!

This is a nice trail with views of the Ogden Valley. The turn off to the hidden valley trail is a little tricky and unmarked but if you follow the app you’ll find it fine. The stunning view of Mt Ogden at the end was unexpected and fabulous!

Quite a challenging ascent but it was the descent that really got me. Good traction is a must. Poles optional but would help with the steep slope. Beautiful views throughout the hike.

Good incline trail. The turn off from Indian is not marked but has a stair step of boulders that is visible as a trail. Last part at the top is meadow with flowers and quite pretty though with some bugs. I recommend poles as some of the inclines as sand and loose rock.

Terrific trail and many changes in scenery. Meadows, desert, and otter amazing terrains...

Excellent trail, very pretty. But man... those inclines, though!

Excellent hike, challenging with the steep ascent but well worth the view and rock tower at the top. Highly recommend.

This little trail kicked my trash! I did it at the hottest time of the day which was a mistake and after I hiked the Indian trail. Pretty steep at some points. Beautiful view once you get to the end

This little trail kicked my butt! It was steep and hot. Do it earlier in the day to get the cooler temps. Amazing views

Steep, rocky, dusty trail, so definitely challenging. But the scenery is gorgeous once you get into the hidden valley. The meadows and the trees help to cool the air during the summer. Lovely views as well. Definitely recommend.

Super got in the late afternoon, bring plenty of water. Fork off Indian trail was hard to spot, and I got lost. good shady spots on the way up, and plenty of trees and brush in the second half at the top.

This trail was definitely one of the steeper ones I have done. I completed it in about 3.5 hours and to be honest I felt the view at the end didn’t live up to the work it took to get there. I did hear the route from Taylor’s Canyon is much more pleasant. When I got to the top of this trail I couldn’t even stay long because of all the bugs. It was hot and mostly unshaded and I wish I would’ve had poles. I feel like you can get similar views from other trails in the area without killing your legs on the incline and with much more shade.

Great view. Beautiful morning hike. Reached the top at noon. You will miss the turn if you are not watching... sign is on the little rock. Beautiful meadows.

very steep climb up. it was worth it in the end. the wildflowers are beautiful. we definitely had to take it slow at parts going back down because of the steepness and the loose gravel, but we made it just fine in our trail running shoes. multiple hikers we met on the way back down told us we should have kept going at the top and taken Taylor's canyon down as it'll loop back around to the cars as well.

This hike definitely falls into the hard category with long stretches of vertical climb. Hiking shoes/boots are a must as trail is rocky and loose in spots. Trail is narrow and sunny for the most part. I enjoyed the challenge and length of this hike. We clocked 6 miles total from 22nd St trailhead. (Good parking at the trailhead on paved road). Glad it wasn’t another mile longer! There were lots of scenery changes - valley views, rocky outcrops, forest and lush valleys, wildflowers, and dense brush. Things level out once you reach the narrow valley at the top. You know you’ve reached the end of the hike when you get to the large cairn with a gorgeous open view of the mountain across hidden valley. It’s worth sticking it out to the end of trail! Just pace yourself and take breaks after the steeper climbs and save some water for the way back. It’s slower going than you’d think on the way down due to the steepness of trail.

Not moderate by any scale I'm familiar with and I've hiked just about every trail from Ogden Canyon to Mueller park in Bountiful. It is a grind with no shade until you do 1000 ft+ of elevation gain--start early and take lots of water. Well-maintained trail though often fallen trees/muddy on the last mile. The views at the "end" are spectacular.

Pretty difficult, we did it while carrying 2 kids. The top is beautiful with pine trees and a great view. You need to go when the flowers are in bloom.

Love this hike. I think more difficult than moderate. It’s a steep uphill. Went up Hidden Valley and came down Taylor Canyon. Had to cross the stream 3 times on the way down. Not easy with rushing water but it made it exciting. I would not take a kid on the Taylor Canyon part of this hike until stream can easily be crossed. We were so thankful we did not have our 6 yr old with us!

Pretty nice hike, but I would say it's closer to difficult than moderate. We hiked to the top, then continued past the rock pile that marks the end, down into Taylor Canyon. We then took the Taylor Canyon trail back to the 22nd Street trailhead. Parts of the loop were quite rough and un-maintained, and I would recommend wearing long pants. Not much shade is available, especially in the afternoon, so I would recommend going before 8 am. It took us about 4 hours to complete the loop at an easy-going pace. The turnoff from Indian Trail is very easy to miss and unmarked, so keep an eye out for what looks like a pile of rocks you can climb up and perhaps keep your phone's GPS on.