Learn more

Hidden Valley Trail is a 6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Moab, Utah that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 6.0 mi Elevation gain 1,171 ft Route type Out & Back

Description
Waypoints (0)
Facilities
Getting There

From the parking area, follow the trail up to the base of the Moab Rim and then ascend a series of steep switchbacks. At the top of the switchbacks, the trial heads north and enters Hidden Valley - a broad shelf between the top of the Moab Rim and Spanish Valley. Follow the trail to a low rise that separates the two halves of Hidden Valley and continue along through the northern section to a point where the trail swings to the left and goes over a low pass. At the pass, the hiker will be rewarded with a view of the large sandstone fins of the Behind the Rocks area. The trail continues down the west side of the pass for about 1/3 mile where it meets the Moab Rim four-wheel-drive trail. The hike may be extended to the Colorado River by following the Moab Rim four-wheel-drive trail to its starting point. NOTE: During the late afternoon, in the summer, this trail is largely in the shade of higher cliffs.

Trailhead with no facilities

Trailhead Drive 3 miles south from Moab on U.S. 191 and turn right onto Angel Rock Road. After two blocks, turn right onto Rimrock Road and drive to parking area.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (178)
Photos (160)
Recordings (128)
Completed (315)
Michelle Jacobi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jun 26 2020
Nature tripsBugsNo shadeRockyScrambleWashed out

So, I gave this five stars for the die-hard hikers who have cultivated a love for adventure more than they have cultivated brain cells. To the reviewer who stated something like, “This was a lovely hike, a mixture of streams, scrambles, and easy strolling, a delightful hike for the late afternoon or early evening,” I have one thing to say: You are a shitty human and I hope you get a lot of laughs about those who, stupidly and naively, believe your review and take that hike at the hottest time of day. The ONLY time to do this hike is before “the hellfire and brimstone fury of hell” sun peaks over the eastern sky and literally obliterates every living thing on that mountain side. To the reviewer who called it a local favorite, I would say: The locals like it because they have literally hiked everything else and so they created a hike to NOWHERE because what the hell else is there to do. Needless to say, this is NOT a child friendly hike unless you enjoy the constant ringing and dissonant sound of belly aching and whining for hours on end OR you have overweight children who need to lose 15 pounds in the first 1.3 miles. If so, may god bless your saintly souls and may your children turn rabid on you at the end of the trail. I’m confident I lost 5 pounds in 1.3 miles of straight uphill “hiking”. If I didn’t, there is no justice in the world. I know a piece of my soul died up there, so that has to weigh something.

View Michelle's Recording
Chelsea Hopkins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 08 2020
HikingNo shade

Unreal, gorgeous hike. Steep in the beginning but way worth it. I went solo so I could only go out and back, went 3 miles out until I hit the Jeep trail. True to the name of the trail, I couldn’t find the petroglyphs. Still awesome and highly recommended!

View Chelsea's Recording
Craig Gilden
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed May 27 2020
Hiking

Amazing views of Moab! Very, very steep initial ascent. The valleys that you walk through on the way to the Moab rim Trail were gorgeous. We missed getting to the Moab rim Trail by about a 10th of a mile. We were concerned about our water supply. There’s very little shade, so check the forecast and take lots of water and sunscreen. Wonderful hike.

View Craig's Recording
bob cook
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue May 26 2020
HikingNo shade

nice trail, great views. bring loads of water, not much shade at any point in the day.

Danielle Hessong
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat May 16 2020
HikingNo shadeRocky

Worth the views! Very steep at first. Only went to the summit (2 miles in) then explored the area before having to turn back due to time constraints. Bring plenty of water!!!

View Danielle's Recording
Joshua Tolman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat May 09 2020
View Joshua's Recording
Ryan Taras
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Apr 23 2020

beautiful view

LORI ANN THOMPSON
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Apr 01 2020
View LORI ANN's Recording
William Perritt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Feb 23 2020
HikingIcyMuddy

Celebrated the third anniversary of a broken neck hiking this trail with my true love. Now one of my favorites.

Kim Henderson

Beautiful hike!

Patricia Park
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Feb 22 2020
HikingIcyMuddyRockyScramble
View Patricia's Recording
Jay Grob
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Feb 04 2020
Hiking

Great stuff on a cold February day. A lot of snow in the valley, snowshoes would work well. We hiked mostly in the rocks where the snow is not so bad.. Lots of fun

View Jay's Recording
Michael Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Dec 28 2019
Hiking

I enjoyed a very nice evening hike in the snow. The valley does look a bit different. Stayed at the end to capture the sunset. We had quite a snow in Moab the night before. Yaktraks + poles were handy.

jack bradley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Nov 15 2019
Hiking

You get a massive reward for the climb in the beginning. HIkes this early in the morning and was the only one out there. The fins are quite a sight.

Eric Haag
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Nov 11 2019
Hiking

Great trail. Nice views both out and back. Rated as hard, but really not too bad. Even though it is a well defined trail, somehow took a wrong turn right where the trail hits its high point. It was kind of a pleasant surprise as it passed several panels of petroglyphs before dropping down to rejoin the main trail.

View Eric's Recording
Maluna Dean
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Oct 24 2019
Hiking

My favorite hike in Moab! Good workout & gorgeous views and meadow at the top!

Kristy Spencer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Oct 18 2019
Hiking

Such a pretty hike. Great views of the La Sal mountains. Our 3 and 6 year old did it with minimal stopping.

Doug Green
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Sep 12 2019
Hiking

The Hidden Valley Trail is now one of my favorites. One the things that can make a hike great is a changing landscape. The surprise of have those new pieces of landscape revealed to me when I top a rise or round a boulder bring forth a smile of joy. I got a few smiles on the Hidden Valley Trail. The Hidden Valley Trail starts off with a steep rocky switchback climb. At first it seemed a bit itimidating, but as I rose away from the highway, the bonds of civilization began to slip away. I'm not in the best shape right now and I had to stop a few times to catch my breath but that gave me an equal number of opportunities to look back at the shrinking landscape below. In about half a mile, I had climbed about 600 feet. As I approached the top, I didn't know what i was going to see, but I was hoping for something great. My hopes were rewarded. A beautiful flat valley was laid out before me. This was mid-September and there had been rain in the past few days and the valley was a mix of green plants and yellow grass. The valley before me was a couple hundred yards long, with a rise and a large boulder at the end. As I walked down the middle of the valley, I couldn't see the highway that was to my right, but I could still hear some of the traffic sounds bouncing off the high rock wall to my left. I hiked to the end of the valley, climbed the rise, and made my way past the boulder. This time another valley was revealed to me. This second valley was much the same as the first, but had a higher rise at the end and a larger collection of boulders there as well. As I walked down this second valley, I no longer heard the sounds of man and was now fully in the embrace of nature. Wildlife was present in these valleys, but mostly in the form of small fast lizards and large slow ants. On the path, the lizards would scurry away from me while the ants trundled on in the work. I did see at one point a small mammel run across the trail in front of me. I did not get a close enough view of the furry critter to identify it, but I marveled at its speed as it ran further away from me. Crows visted the valley a couple of times and called out to each other. At the end of the second valley, the rise revealed that the path would wind its way down in a rocky area broken up by piñon pine. There were a few small cairns here and there to help keep me on the trails. In the distance I could see a cliff and mesa and more rock formations that I simply don't have the vocabulary to describe. To my right was a spine of sandstone that the effects of time was slowly breaking apart. I followed the trail to its end, a few hundred feet where it joined up with a jeep track called the Moab Rim Trail. I spent nearly six hours making the round trip of six miles. This is a slow pace to hike, but I can think of no other way to enjoy such a hike. I stopped a few times to snap pictures or to just sit in the wilderness to soak up nature into my soul. The total elevation gain of about eleven hundred feet is a respectable amount of work, but not so much as to ruin me for the rest of the day. Since the first 600 feet of gain is in just one-sixth of the total hike, having the other 500 feet of elevation gain spread out over the remaining hike doesn't seem as much of an effort.

Matt Christopher
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jul 29 2019
HikingNo shadeOver grown

Hot as the devil's ass crack on the four of July, but the trail was fun! long pants if you can for the flat portion tons of prickly shrub, don't go on this if you got weak ankles tho bihhhhh

Maria Pangan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 23 2019
Hiking

Steep start but so worth it.