Learn more

Hickman Bridge Trail is a 1.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Torrey, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

Distance: 1.8 miles Elevation Gain: 442 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Please note that the parking lot for this trail is closed due to COVID 19. The Hickman Natural Bridge trail is a very relaxing and scenic trail in Capitol Reef National Park. A trail brochure - available at the trailhead - points out 17 things to observe along the hike. Notable among these are an indian granary, a small natural bridge called Nels Johnson Bridge, and, of course, Hickman Bridge.

Fun hike. It was hot though. No shade until you get to the actual bridge. Then there is a nice breeze and cover.

Easy, family friendly, amazing views at the bridge! This hike is a must!

A definite favorite in the park! Easy hike to get to the bridge and I love how the hike actually takes you under the bridge.

Started our hike at 8pm. We had headlamps and were ready. I think this hike is best either early in the morning or later in the evening. Tonight was glorious because there was a full moon. Very easy hike, although my wife said she thought it was more moderate. Easy to follow the path and the arch is awesome.

Great short afternoon hike to finish out the day! Sunset was pretty amazing. Not crazy strenuous if you are in decent shape. I saw all levels of hikers out there. Some were just taking it slower than others so it seems pretty doable for a lot of folks. There are a couple steeper pulls so plan accordingly based on physical ability.

Fun trail! Had lunch under the arch. Recommend a hat, sunscreens, and plenty of water. Enjoy.

Great trail. Moderate is the right description. Went at about 2PM and it was hot but there was a nice wind to keep you cool.

Great hike. At first we thought the bridge was a little bridge we found first. Then we realized we had to keep going to the real thing! I recommend waiting for cooler weather! It was hot. My 4 year old was able to do the whole hike.

This was a fun scenic hike. Not too hard and quite scenic

Summer time it could be really hot to hike during the day. We did it at 6:30 PM, it is still hot on the way up there. Need bug sprays, if you stand still, many will flying around your face. AMAZING arch! We had it to ourselves for 15 minutes, and that was an intimate experience.

Beautiful hike, great for all ages. We went about an hour before sunset and got incredible light for photos!

Definitely a nice hike with a bit of elevation gain. All worth it when you get to the natural bridge, which you can walk right under and get some great photos from underneath looking up. A nice way to start the day at Capitol Reef.

It was a great hike. The bridge was magnificent. Well worth the time and effort.

We did this one at 3 PM, the heat made the first 0.3 miles pretty intense for our kids. The bridge is incredible.

We did this hike with our four kids, the four year old struggled a little but we all loved the bridge and rocks to climb on at the end. The climb was beautiful.

Short, easy trail to a stunning rock bridge. Great views from most of the trail. No shade - would recommend doing it early but since the trail is short, you might be able to get away with a mid-day hike if you don’t mind the heat. The uphills are not too steep. Highly recommend this hike if you are visiting Capitol Reef.

Really nice, relatively easy trail. Trail markings were placed well. A few shady and breezy spots along the way. The uphill sections aren’t too long either. If you have hiking poles, bring them! I found them very useful in some spots where it was a little rocky.

Lots of nice but not mind-blowing natural and man-made features packed into a short hike. If you arrive at end of day the explanatory brochures may be gone, but you can download a copy online which I recommend to get the most out of the hike

Really lovely hike. Ranger recommended we do earlier in the AM because the parking lot can get full. Not particularly challenging, I'd describe as the easy side of moderate

Good trail and short- lots of traffic because of this- less impressive than Cassidy arch for sure but a cool bridge- be sure and do the loop at the top for long views- our kids had no problem with the trail (11, 10, 8 & 6)

This was a great shortish hike and would be Good for kids but very hot. Bring water! We had shade at the bridge but went in the evening around 6pm which was a Perfect time for this hike. We were overwhelmed with little black bugs flying Everywhere. They didn’t bite just very annoying. They may be worse in the evening when it’s cooler. Spectacular views! If you have tripophobia do not go on this hike because there are holes and and caverns everywhere. follow the Cairns or people who look like they know where their going.

Beautiful trail! I wasn’t expecting much out of this short hike and it definitely exceeded my expectations. I hike at least once a week, each time 5 miles or more, usually with double the elevation gain. It’s a pretty easy 2 miles. We saw a lot of wildflowers and many great sights. We started about 9 in the morning and it was a little hot so I wouldn’t try it much later than that, there isn’t any shade. Definitely worth it.

I went early on Wednesday to hike this and it was still extremely hot. The trail was moderately easy and the views were incredible! The views of Capitol reef, the river, and rock formations I’ll never forget. Wear lots of sunscreen and watch your feet for snakes a lizards.