Heughs Canyon Trail

Heughs Canyon Trail is a 3.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and snowshoeing and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,942 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The City of Holladay has moved the trailhead parking to Wasatch Boulevard and part of Oak Canyon Drive has been closed to parking. Please note: the bottom half of the hike has poison ivy right on the edge of the trail. Watch your step and your pets.

We hiked this trail from the Mount Olympus trailhead instead, taking the BST south to the trail. Adds about 2 miles but not much elevation, so it was worth it in my opinion. To reach the waterfall walk over the boulders/rock fall area at the end of the trail, at the bottom right side find the opening with the rock wall on your left and trees on your right. Try to follow the sounds.

private property

The trail starts at private property so be warned, and our group never really found which waterfall we were supposed to end at. You can keep going up as the trail does go up further, but I would recommend not going past the second major rock slide area because things will get difficult fast.

This trail was pretty steep and scrambly a good portion of the time. It is dog friendly so that’s a plus. The trail mostly follows the creek but we were unable to find the waterfall as there are not many trail signs. There was one pretty great view really close to the top and one maybe halfway up. We probably won’t come back unless we learn how to get to the waterfall.

private property

I rate this at 3 because I had to walk through a neighborhood to get to the trailhead behind someone's private property and I also couldn't get to the very tip of the end of the trail it was very steep at that point he had to scramble across 3 big giant piles of rocks and boulders. Though the Fall colors were out vibrant and beautiful. The river bed was dried. I did manage to find a spot to have lunch by a running stream.

Love this trail except for the traffic. Loose rocks and bouldering near top to get to waterfall.

Steep but worth it! It was so beautiful and my dog loved it.

This is a beautiful hike. I'd like to think I'm in okay shape and at the end after the scree field, this goes from moderate to super hard. It becomes very steep! This is a late afternoon or early morning hike, otherwise, be prepared to cook.

finding the trailhead was a pain. had to walk up a driveway to get to the trail. otherwise the trail was nice. pretty crowded.

Trail was in excellent condition although a bit tricky to find trail head as you first need to walk through a neighbor. You’ve got cross a steep hill covered on boulders towards the end too. Doable but just be aware.

I hiked this trail today (8/25/2019) with my dog. I was a bit hesitant to go because of all the recent snake sightings, but I've hiked this trail a handful of times and never once saw a snake. We started at 7:40am and got back to the car by 10:30am (we hiked at a slow pace and relaxed at the top for quite some time), no snakes in sight! I'd recommend bringing bug spray, especially if you plan on taking breaks on the way up to the waterfall. The waterfall was weak compared to a few months ago, but the hike overall was very nice!

look out for rattlesnakes and thirsty yellow jackets

I’d definitely recommend only doing it when there’s still snow runoff, if your goal is to see the waterfall.

Saw three snakes yesterday on our hike. Started the hike around 5 pm. One rather large snake (likely a bull snake) hidden in the rock field towards the end and two rattle snakes on the trail that rattled at us and one wouldn’t let us pass so we ended up turning around. With this level of snake sighting directly on the trail, probably won’t be back.

We parked at the parking lot by the main road. Not clear where the trailhead starts. You have to walk through a neighborhood before starting the trail. Enjoyed the hike, however, it has some steep parts. We also ran into a coiled rattlesnake. It was decently big. Met a couple of other hikers who also encountered a rattlesnake. Be aware, especially if you bring dogs.

It was a great hike, except for the snake on the trail. I will do it again, but be more aware of snakes.

Went up in the morning with my kelpie and we heard a bigger animal, totally freaked my dog out, and me!! Full mohawk, barking and whimpering. I slowly backed away going back down. Stay safe y'all carry bear spray it protects against all mammals. I think it might have been a mountain lion.