Heughs Canyon Trail

Heughs Canyon Trail is a 3.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and snowshoeing and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,942 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The City of Holladay has moved the trailhead parking to Wasatch Boulevard and part of Oak Canyon Drive has been closed to parking. Please note: the bottom half of the hike has poison ivy right on the edge of the trail. Watch your step and your pets.

Went up in the morning with my kelpie and we heard a bigger animal, totally freaked my dog out, and me!! Full mohawk, barking and whimpering. I slowly backed away going back down. Stay safe y'all carry bear spray it protects against all mammals. I think it might have been a mountain lion.

Definitely better in the spring. The waterfall is only a trickle now. Lots of wasps by the water. Raspberry bushes are big. Still very green above the waterfall. No one on the trail today but me. Watch out for snakes: most people mistake the gopher snake for a rattlesnake which isn’t a bad thing but all the reviews make it sound like there are rattlesnakes around every corner. I’ve done this trail dozens of times and never seen a rattlesnake, not to say they aren’t there but I think most people assume it’s a rattlesnake. I’ve seen them in the grass and they always scurry off when I go by. GPS seems to have trouble with accuracy in this canyon but the trail is easy to follow.

Great trail for dogs due to the multiple river crossings. A lot of shade depending on the time of the day. Nice little waterfall. House at the Trailhead sometimes has a 'dog poop' bucket for you on the way down.

We didn’t get to finish because at the boulder part, me and my 12&11 yr old ran into two rattlesnakes... bummer. I’d say I’m in good shape, and this was a lovely challenge. Little much for my kids, but I would like to do it again. Lots of water and bug spray is a good idea.

This hike was a really fun one. Not steep really at all but make sure you have water. And be weary of rattlesnakes. My friends and I saw two on the trail so that made for an interesting rest of the hike.

From the parking lot, to the waterfall and back was a steep 3.5 miles. We got directions from the parking lot to the trailhead from the Girl on a Hike blog. Once we got to the boulder field we had a hard time finding the falls, so I uploaded some photos that should be helpful to figure hikers! You’ll want bug spray!

I was a bit worried for this hike because it was my first in a few years, but I genuinely enjoyed it! The parking is on Wasatch Boulevard, you can navigate to it through google and then it’s up into the neighborhood, a left on Oak Canyon Dr, right on Canyon Winds Ln, and all the way up. You pretty much have to walk through the house at the end’s driveway, but that is in fact the trailhead (it isn’t marked, that I saw). We luckily had a nice mailman making his rounds to help us out. The trail itself is paved pretty well, though the dirt does get slippery the steeper it gets. The entire hike is pretty much an incline, and as you go further the trail gets more narrow and more steep. I would definitely recommend having a walking stick or trekking pole, both to stabilize yourself toward the end, and to rustle the brush for snakes. We didn’t see any, but I was making a LOT of noise to avoid it thanks to the other reviews. And if you have a bee allergy, please be cautious and bring your Epi pen! There were several spots where we had to walk through swarms of wasps because there was water on the trail. We didn’t get stung, they minded their own business and let us pass as long as we didn’t linger, but I would still be careful! And for dogs and small kids, please be aware that to GET to the water, you have to scale across the red rocks that a lot of people have posted pictures of, so I’d be cautious if you can’t carry them and they don’t have sure footing. Bring plenty of water in case you can’t get to the falls because that obstacle is right at the end. We passed a lot of tired dog owners on our way back down who asked us if they were close because their pup was hot. Once you get across to the lower part of the trail, you go through a tunnel made by the trees and the grotto there is tiny but beautiful and shaded. It was clean and quiet, and really refreshing after the climb. My only trouble was that we didn’t finish the hike, I assume you had to climb up the rocks instead of across to get to the last .2 miles of the hike but I’m not sure. Either way, if I went back I think I would want to try to complete it and see what else there was to experience.

It’s hard to get to the actual trail, I recommend reading the site girl on a hike dot com to actually see how to get there. It’s nice, shaded and not crowded. It gets pretty steep and bring bug spray!! I didn’t make it to the waterfall because I had my pup and I was scared of sliding down the gravel

This trail has a lot of shade and is so pretty. The trail follows a stream that is pretty swift so keep a good eye on your little ones! I only hike up to the big rock pile, sit on a rock and eat a snack or look at the valley. I am not advanced (or adventurous) enough to scale them and go to the waterfall. There is not a lot of parking so I'm not sure where you are allowed to park on a busy day.

Could never find the entrance to the trail head very disappointing as I was looking forward to this hike with my dog after work if anyone has better directions that would be great I parked where it said trail head parking and water at all it through the neighborhoods and never found a marked or else

Fantastic option for a steep that is mostly shaded. The stream is really running strong but the main waterfall was covered by the vegetation this year. The trail continues across the rock slide but then it became way too overgrown to continue to the very end, especially with the rattlesnake sightings.

Super awesome. Really steep for a good incline most of the hike. But I saw kids and other younger kids doing it. It definitely wasn’t an easy hike. The waterfall is small...but cool I guess. Fun hike!

Dang that hike did not disappoint. The first half was “eh” then all of a sudden boom there is the river and the waterfall was gorgeous! Wasn’t expecting how pretty it was going to be. Then if you keep going up past the waterfall...the vegetation gets thicker and thicker...and it was gorgeous! Highly recommend....it’s pretty steep at points...so you have to work for it...but it’s worth it! Bugs kind of sucked..so be prepared for that. And WATCH OUT for rattlesnakes. Saw one on the way up and he wouldn’t move off the trail. So be careful! All in all...great hike!

private property

Amazing hike, bumped into a baby rattle on the way up and turned back. Can’t wait to come back!

Hike to the lower falls is worth the climb, you get to this about 1.5miles up and there is a rock scramble (as others have said) to actually view the falls. From there we went all the way to the top (and end of the red all trails line) and it gets steep with a lot of loose rock and I would call fully difficult. I had a single pole and that was invaluable. This part of the hike I would recommend two poles. The view at the top is good for the valley but we couldn't see the waterfall only hear it through the foliage

It is a short but intense route, the slope increases little by little, the final section has large rocks that cover the path to the waterfall, if you want to go to the waterfall be careful when crossing over the rocks

I love this trail. It’s weird because you almost have to walk up someone ms driveway to get to it, but it seems to be legal! It’s fairly steep, but really beautiful. Nice workout and the falls are amazing!