Heughs Canyon Trail

Heughs Canyon Trail is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The City of Holladay has moved the trailhead parking to Wasatch Boulevard and part of Oak Canyon Drive has been closed to parking.

It is a great trail

I live in the last house before the trail and let me tell you, we love that hikers use it! Some neighbors down the street are real strict about parking and we have been fighting to prevent a gate at the bottom of the street. there are lots of wasps on the trail (especially by the 2 water spots near the beginning of the hike) and occasionally a snake in the bushes. i take my small dog up there nearly every day and would say the bees are the only pests. It has some steep parts near the top with loose rock so be careful and go straight then right to see the waterfall when you reach the rock slide. Please pick up after your dogs and throw it in the bucket at the bottom of the trail and don't be shy, say hi if we're outside!

!!GETTING TO THE TRAILHEAD!!
you'll have to park on the east side of Wasatch Blvd. Then walk up canyon cove road, take your first left, then your first right up wind canyon rd, I believe. THEN you get to the teailhead. enjoy!

Great burner trail run when you’re short on time. Be on the lookout for rattlesnakes tho, one at the top today right before the waterfall.

Pretty steep on the way up! Luckily didn’t see any rattle snakes. Loose rocks at the top so be careful where you step. I almost slipped and fell pretty far. But the views were well worth it! Got done in about and hour and fifteen

Good workout w/ rewarding view @ the end.

Trailhead is kind of hard to find. It is buried deep within a privileged McMansion neighborhood. Seemed like people built their fancy abodes directly around the trail, then got mad that hikers were trying to use the trail. Weird negative vibe. Description says “part of Oak Canyon Drive” is no parking. Hard to miss the 100+ no parking signs aligning the street. So I parked beneath them. Place was pretty empty. Started up the street with my old dog, when some kid called out to me. Told me to move my car “no parking”. Even though I was below the signs and totally out of the way. Just weird to walk through a residential neighborhood and someone’s driveway to get to a trail. Anyhow, I get it fancy kid. Just trying to take a quick hike on a mellow evening. The place just had a weird negative vibe, then to be so rudely talked to. Yeah, I don’t need it.

I like this trail but it is quite overgrown at all times of the year. Two young rattlesnakes on the trail today, but it’s hard to watch your step in a lot of places. Keep your eyes open because you can hardly hear the young ones.

Great trail didn’t see a single hiker nice a and shaded most of the way with a little stream up the whole way my dog loved it! There is lots of bugs.

Very beautiful trail but the map/mileage needs to be updated since the trailhead is on Wasatch Blvd now. We didn’t run into any snakes thank heavens but hiked it early before the sun was on the trail. When you get to the boulder field go RIGHT- not up. There was a cairn up high that led us to keep going up and it got extremely steep and we missed the falls. We found it on the way down after some searching. The trail end on this map is not where the falls are! My Strava said 4 miles with 1400 ft elevation gain. Great hike though!

Rattlesnakes! About 100 yards up from where you leave the pavement my wife ahead of me got rattled at. I spotted it 14 inches above the trail so had to detour down below the trail to get around it. It was slightly bigger than a golf ball so a pretty good sized one. In informing others where it was two different groups alerted us to where they had encountered one and showed us pictures. One was just before the 2nd stream crossing, and one was on a log sunning its self. BE CAREFUL!

Lots of poison ivy this year also.

I wish I had read this before I went! I saw one of the rattlesnakes as I came back from the waterfall before I got back on the boulders. I grabbed my dog and got out as fast as I could. Otherwise, I loved the hike. I wouldn’t recommend for small dogs though as I had to hold my dog as we went across the boulders.

This had to be one of the best hikes I’ve been on in my long career of trail hunting. From the beautiful growth and vegetation leading up the trail, to the treacherous quest over boulders scaling up the Mtn to the tiny waterfall in the pocket of the canyon. Definitely a sight to see!

Beautiful scenery and great hike. Bit of an incline but worth the hike and a rewarding beautiful waterfall.

Steep but great waterfall!

A bit tough, steep elevation gains but worth the views. Plus the water fall at the end is pretty cool

Beautiful hike next to the mountain stream, awesome views of the valley, canyon, and the waterfall. It’s pretty steep! I found the rattlesnake in the first part of the rock fall between some boulders.

The City of Holladay, because of safety problems on Oak Canyon Drive, has moved the trailhead parking to Wasatch Boulevard and part of Oak Canyon Drive has been closed to parking. I've uploaded two photos showing the trailhead parking sign and no parking signs.

Gradual steady incline all the way to the end of the hike. The view of the waterfall is very rewarding at the end.

nice hike, well shaded 2 ft rattlesnake likes to hang out on the trail 20 steps past the foot bridge just before rock slide.

5/16/2018 Strenuous and rewarding, not forgiving at all. Being just a short distance into a neighborhood, it’s so secluded sheer minutes into the hike. Not many people on the trail, which is amazing. Will do again.

Pretty strenuous hike due to the elevation gain in certain areas and towards the end you're scrambling on large rocks. The views are definitely beautiful though.

Beautilful hike, but steep for most of it. The views at the top are great though, and worth it if you are in decent shape. Once you cross the extremely rocky part of the trail, hike up until it levels out and that's the best view of the canyon.

The last 0.3 mile of the trail wasn't well trodden, and one of the steepest parts of the hike with no majestic views resulting at the end. The rocky part was hard for my dogs to cross.

First rattlesnake of the season was spotted May 5th. Fortunately the lady who was ahead of me about 50 yards had her dog on a leash (a rare event), but boy did she scream! It eventually moved off the trail. The homeowners at the top of the private drive are providing a "poop pail". Sadly, not getting much usage.

beautiful hike that wasn't crowded at all on a warm spring Saturday. very steep area towards the end before you reach the waterfall. if you decide to continue past the waterfall, the hike is very steep and rocky. there is a beautiful view just past the boulders and a fun mini waterfall to hang out and eat lunch by, but much further doesn't really lead to any destination point.

It was beautiful! There aren't many signs in the neighborhood below to figure out where to start. But it's pretty self explanatory.

It was amazingly green everywhere in the canyon. The trail is very steep the whole way there. It's only about 1.6 miles up but it took us almost an hour because of the elevation gain. The trail is skinny, and you can't see much with the trees, but once you get the the rock slide and waterfall it has an amazing view!

I would highly recommend it!

Fun! Wear shoes you can get wet, lots of run off water. Gets steep at times but the waterfall is worth it. Boulders were kinda sketchy with the dogs but they seem to get the hang of it.

It was beautiful today! I would rate this hike as moderate, it only took us a little over an hour to get to the top but there were a few steep spots. You walk by the stream almost the whole way which was perfect for the pups! We did see one snake though ☹️ waterfall at the top is absolutely beautiful!

Great trail! I didn’t like having to go through a neighborhood and up someone’s drive way, but what can you do right?

The waterfall was spectacular, views were amazing, and as a reminder for everyone, LEASH YOUR DOGS!!!!!

It's true there is no Bergdhalde Ln. but it's easy to google the two connecting streets. There is no parking any longer within the neighborhood along the streets closest to the trailhead. Trail parking spaces have been created at the entrance of Canyon Cove neighborhood along Wasatch, with a small sign stating this. It's a steep but short two block walk to the trail head, which involves cutting along a private driveway right before the trail start.

As far as the "rock scramble" mentioned in the comments, we headed straight across it (mostly half foot to foot tall flat surfaced rock from an ancient avalanche) which connected to the rest of the trail. Just look for all the cairns. This way does't take you down close to the largest waterfall in the stream, but you can also cut straight down the rock fall if you want. Another large waterfall is encountered a short distance on the other side of the rocks, with many wildflowers in the rock wall crevasses above the stream and falls. Really pretty this time of year. We saw at least 6 kinds of wild flowers but missed out on all the snake action. There was one small patch of snow in the shade, but the trail was mostly dry, otherwise. The next day it rained and snow flurried, so I'm sure that has changed.

Half the dogs were not leashed and of course, a bit of bagged and unbagged poop was found on the trail. Not cool.