Hensky Overlook Trail

Hensky Overlook Trail is a 3.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Provo, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I have no idea where the name Hensky comes from but I believe this is actually the Primrose Overlook. It says Lame Horse Trail at the beginning but then you find you are actually on Horse Flat Trail. Very confusing signage. It does veer left at one point, right before the overlook, which is Horse Spring Trail and loops you to Lame Horse which takes you back to the Summit Trailhead. We ended up just going to the overlook and going back the way we came and it took about an hour and a half. The overlook is very pretty and overall was a very fun hike.

We hiked this trail like some others have done as a loop going out on Horse Flat trail and coming back on Lame Horse trail. There must be some significance to the name of this trail that is lost on me because none of the trails are named Hensky. The trail goes through mixed conifer and aspen groves interspersed with meadows. The fall colors were lovely. Along the trail there are views of some of the mountain peaks that were beautiful. The overlook into Primrose cirque at the end is spectacular. We hiked this route in the afternoon and in hindsight, it would have been better in the morning because the east side of the mountain was in the shade and it would have been much better for pictures if it wasn't. Ideally, next time we will time it so we hike in the am and have a nice early lunch at the viewpoint. Horse Flat trail has the meadows. Lame horse trail has tons of ferns and a small pond. Both trails were nice. The trail does have some steep portions and hence the moderate rating. We are looking forward to coming back in the spring and summer.

So we hiked the Lame Horse trail to reach the Hensky Overlook as some reviews had suggested. Not sure if that was the right path since it said 2 miles not 1.6. I also made the mistake of passing on some info I read in a different review to my kids which said the hike is pretty easy except for the last 250 ft which are steep. So at every steep section, they thought they were almost there, only to be disappointed. We were climbing the steepest hill yet almost 2 miles into the hike, and we were sure it was going to lead us to the Overlook. Nope. We could see the mountain and Valley through the trees, but there was another steep descent and steep incline to go. For my kids with autism, this was a huge blow. We would have continued on, but my 7 year old had twisted his ankle, and the sun was setting. It was a very beautiful hike, the aspens leaves glittering like gold coins. But it was a little tough for my kids (who aren't the most agile creatures).

A friend and I really enjoyed this hike this morning! The path was shady and beautiful and the views at the end were breathtaking! There was hardly anyone else on the trail. Moderate difficulty, mostly due to the high elevation. The trail name was marked as Lame Horse trail - not Hensky Overlook, but based on the pictures, it was easy to tell that this was the same trail. This is definitely one of my new favorite hikes in Utah!

Beautiful hike with a nice view of the east side of Timp at the end. I would recommend continuing to Bob's Knob for more great views of Timp and Aspen Grove.