Hellhole Trail is a 3.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ivins, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

3.4 mile moderate rugged, unmarked out and back along a sandy/rocky wash, offering beautiful views and glimpses at ephemeral water basins throughout the canyon.

Moderate hike. Lots of sand & climbing over rocks. Get there early before sun comes out.

Seriously so beautiful. I went off trail a little bit and found a small oasis; it was beyond breathtaking.

Trail is sand and rock/boulder wash. Several places of shade to drink and take a break. The view of the mountains is beautiful. Leave early am in hot weather. Lizards, rabbits, birds, egg shells and flowering trees and plants right now. We took about 2 1/2 hours round trip, leasurely pace.

as has been said it is poorly marked on the trail and on this app as well, if you stop where the trail as marked on the app is you wouldn't reach the canyon walls. gotta keep walking

Was a very challenging hike, but once you reach the top the view is breathtaking.

Beautiful trail! Mostly walking through wash and rocks. can get tricky in some areas, but fairly smooth going. went with my daughter and she enjoyed climbing while I was fine reading on a rock and watching... so definitely something for all skill levels.

Definitely my favorite hike. I got bored at school yesterday so I ditched to go on a I hike. I ended up doing this one with my dog. Even though I do this hike all the time, it is still one of the prettiest views I’ve ever seen at the top. The entire city of Ivins is laid out before you like a patchwork quilt. It most definitely is one I’ll be repeating for years to come.

Decent trail! Poorly marked but absolutely beautiful views.

This hike shouldn’t be rated at hard. Trail not always clearly marked but you can take the riverbed as well. At the end it can be a bit tricky and steep when you go to the end of the canyon. Absolutely beautiful views and this trail can always be made more challenging by climbing the surrounding rocks.

No idea why this is rated as ‘Hard’. This should be rated ‘Easy’ since you will be hard-pressed to get winded on any part of this hike. Regardless, it’s beautiful once you reach the canyon walls at the end.

Easy hike if you follow the run off trail. We took the river bed trail to the right and it was moderate. We hiked in till we hit a wall and couldn’t go any further into the mountains. Beautiful hike.

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Great hike with beautiful views

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

although it is a paved trail it is beautiful

Monday, September 04, 2017

beautiful hike. Don't do it in the sun cuz you're walking most of the way through loose sand. did not rate it A5 with hikes like the Zion Narrows or angels Landing nearby

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Loved this hike. Though it's a bit of a trek through sand (not my fave) to get to the good stuff, it's totally worth it.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

named properly, worst hike I've done. you soend the entire time trying not to break your ankle, hopping rock to rock. only pretty views are at turn around point. the paw prints can make you nervous about moutain lion activity. will never do this again.

Friday, June 02, 2017

The trailhead was along the side of a neighborhood road with minimal parking but with few hikers on the trail it was sufficient. Start this hike early to beat the heat. The shady morning was a little cool so plan accordingly. We didn't think this trail was hard at all. Maybe could be rated somewhere between easy to moderate. The hardest part of the hike was hiking in the sandy, gravelly riverbed. There were some areas of climbing over boulders in the riverbed and also near the tail end of the hike. The views of the massive vertical cliff faces were amazing. Reminded us of hiking the narrows in Zion without hiking through water. There wasn't any running water on the trail but rather a few collection basins of water in the riverbed that had some tadpoles in them. The water was clear and could possibly be filtered if your absolutely needed a refill. The wild flowers were pretty and the views of the cliff faces, rocky outcroppings, and the valley below were amazing especially when the sun started to light them up. Awesome hike nothing like the trail name, hellhole. Great place to get away from the crowds on the trail. Enjoy.

Friday, May 26, 2017

This hike provides some amazing views from start to finish. With the Santa Clara Mountains in the distance, Red Mountain, and the walls of Kayenta Canyon surrounding you, photo ops abound. We started on the trail above the wash, which eventually dropped down into it. Temps were in the high 80's with no running water. There are some shaded areas as we continued up the wash, made up of dirt, sand, rocks, and boulders. Some scrambling over the larger boulders was required but, even so, I would rate this hike as moderate, not hard. The hike ends deep in the canyon with the beautiful red walls shooting straight up from the ground in front of you. There are huge boulders and large flat topped rocks filling the wash floor there which makes for a great place to sit and enjoy the scenery before heading back. Our total time was about 3 hours but we stopped for lots of photos. I highly recommend this fantastic hike with beautiful views! Not at all a Hellhole!

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Very nice trail near Ivins. Not difficult but sandy and a little hard to find the trail. We just followed footprints as best we could. Beautiful mountain scenery.

Saturday, March 18, 2017

I LOVE this hike, particularly in the spring... and when it's overcast/rainy outside. (Always be careful of flash flooding). It can be hard to find the main attraction if you don't know what you're looking for, but in the springtime, this hike is a hidden gem. Summer time, the colors aren't beautiful and vibrant anymore, and the flowers are all dead and there isn't any water flow, but it's still cool. Also, I'm an avid hiker but I don't think this hike should be considered difficult or challenging. If you aren't used to hiking, I'd rate this as moderate.

Saturday, March 04, 2017

This is a challenging hike, make no mistake about it. The wash to Hell's Hole Canyon is made up of both fine and course grand sand as well as rocks that are washed smooth and rock that has fallen down from Red Mountain. I didn't run into anything that required scrambling, but the hike requires sure footing. Be advised: anyone going up the wash should wear boots with good ankle support.

Next, bring at least 1.5 liters of water per person. When I hiked the trail, the temperature was ~65 degrees at the trailhead. However, the desert is full of microclimates, and this wash is one of them. My temperature gage read 79 degrees in portions of the wash. In the summer, I'd be very leery of taking on this hike at any part of the day.

Last, the wash to Hell's Hole Canyon goes through prime cougar habitat. Be aware of what's going on around you at all times. While I hiked up the wash, a cat followed me very closely. (I count myself lucky not to have been on the menu that afternoon.) On my way up the wash, it was absolutely silent, which certainly caught my attention, but I didn't realize what was going on until I started back and found fresh paw prints directly alongside my own boot tracks.

Based on this, a couple of things to consider by anyone hiking this trail. First, DO NOT hike the wash at sunrise or dusk. The sand in the wash had an abundance of cougar tracks, some old and some new. Tracks from sheep, deer, jack rabbits, coyotes, road runners, quail, and rodents galore were present everywhere. It's pretty clear the wash is a thoroughfare for all sorts of wildlife, including one form that can take YOU out for dinner. (I'll post some pictures of the cat tracks.)

Also, I would be very cautious about taking kids or dogs on this hike. If you do, keep the kids in front of you at all times and the dogs very close by.

Would I hike this trail again? In a second. It is interesting, beautiful, and challenging. In the upper reaches of the wash, the rock formations are very interesting, and things abound to keep one's attention. Have fun but be aware.

Wednesday, March 01, 2017

Hiking thru the river wash got annoying in a few places with rocks and boulders etc. we didn't get too far up into the canyon before turning around. Not sure how far it goes. Maybe we missed something really cool ahead.

Wednesday, February 08, 2017

Nice trail. Gets somewhat more difficult as you progress to the end of the trail but, not difficult. Get outdoors!

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Very cool trail. It gets progressively more difficult the farther you go, but nothing super difficult if you can climb up and down some large boulders. But there were ways around them as well, in most spots. At the end, where the canyon splits, it is absolutely stunning. The echo is so cool and you can actually climb up further and continue if you would like. We explored the left canyon. Beautiful photo opportunity! Take water. Take a picnic. It's a great hike!

recorded Hell Hole 10-10-18