Hellhole Trail

Hellhole Trail is a 3.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ivins, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Rugged unmarked route along sandy/rocky wash reaching ephemeral pools in a canyon environment.

Very nice trail near Ivins. Not difficult but sandy and a little hard to find the trail. We just followed footprints as best we could. Beautiful mountain scenery.

I LOVE this hike, particularly in the spring... and when it's overcast/rainy outside. (Always be careful of flash flooding). It can be hard to find the main attraction if you don't know what you're looking for, but in the springtime, this hike is a hidden gem. Summer time, the colors aren't beautiful and vibrant anymore, and the flowers are all dead and there isn't any water flow, but it's still cool. Also, I'm an avid hiker but I don't think this hike should be considered difficult or challenging. If you aren't used to hiking, I'd rate this as moderate.

This is a challenging hike, make no mistake about it. The wash to Hell's Hole Canyon is made up of both fine and course grand sand as well as rocks that are washed smooth and rock that has fallen down from Red Mountain. I didn't run into anything that required scrambling, but the hike requires sure footing. Be advised: anyone going up the wash should wear boots with good ankle support.

Next, bring at least 1.5 liters of water per person. When I hiked the trail, the temperature was ~65 degrees at the trailhead. However, the desert is full of microclimates, and this wash is one of them. My temperature gage read 79 degrees in portions of the wash. In the summer, I'd be very leery of taking on this hike at any part of the day.

Last, the wash to Hell's Hole Canyon goes through prime cougar habitat. Be aware of what's going on around you at all times. While I hiked up the wash, a cat followed me very closely. (I count myself lucky not to have been on the menu that afternoon.) On my way up the wash, it was absolutely silent, which certainly caught my attention, but I didn't realize what was going on until I started back and found fresh paw prints directly alongside my own boot tracks.

Based on this, a couple of things to consider by anyone hiking this trail. First, DO NOT hike the wash at sunrise or dusk. The sand in the wash had an abundance of cougar tracks, some old and some new. Tracks from sheep, deer, jack rabbits, coyotes, road runners, quail, and rodents galore were present everywhere. It's pretty clear the wash is a thoroughfare for all sorts of wildlife, including one form that can take YOU out for dinner. (I'll post some pictures of the cat tracks.)

Also, I would be very cautious about taking kids or dogs on this hike. If you do, keep the kids in front of you at all times and the dogs very close by.

Would I hike this trail again? In a second. It is interesting, beautiful, and challenging. In the upper reaches of the wash, the rock formations are very interesting, and things abound to keep one's attention. Have fun but be aware.

Hiking thru the river wash got annoying in a few places with rocks and boulders etc. we didn't get too far up into the canyon before turning around. Not sure how far it goes. Maybe we missed something really cool ahead.

Nice trail. Gets somewhat more difficult as you progress to the end of the trail but, not difficult. Get outdoors!

Very cool trail. It gets progressively more difficult the farther you go, but nothing super difficult if you can climb up and down some large boulders. But there were ways around them as well, in most spots. At the end, where the canyon splits, it is absolutely stunning. The echo is so cool and you can actually climb up further and continue if you would like. We explored the left canyon. Beautiful photo opportunity! Take water. Take a picnic. It's a great hike!