Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Thayne Canyon Loop is a 1.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips.

Distance: 1.6 miles Elevation Gain: 436 feet Route Type: Loop

fee

SLC canyon hiking top quality hikes in this trail. Very good trail and overall experience. Of trail scouting a must

Perfect temperature

Incredibly beautiful trail! We went up at the Thayne Canyon turn off and then took the trail marked "Desolation Trail" to loop back around. Beautiful views of the canyon. The ascent is a pretty steady incline, but nothing to really get your heart pounding. the descent has nice switchbacks providing amazing views and plenty of room to let people pass. There are some steep drop-offs to the side and the trail is a bit narrow at some points, but it wasnt anything that made me fear for my life.

This is a really pretty hike. lots of shade. A pretty steady incline for the first .8 mile but not too steep. The second half of the hike is narrow and has some steep drop-offs. We had a 1 1/2 year old and she lost interest and had to be carried. Older kids will love to explore so plan time to let them.

Crowded during the weekend. And we thought we had gotten up early enough to beat the large family crowd.

Nice short hike. Parking lot was busy, no snow, good signs, dog friendly. I took my 2 year old and she did great going up the left side of the loop, but the down side had steep hills on the side of the trail making it not so kid friendly. I noticed Thayne Canyon is set up for a 3 mile loop of you choose, I’ll plan to come back and do the bigger loop with out the kid. Worth the visit.

Nice and easy trail. Lots of stuff to look at. Chris and I did it in a slow 1:30.

icy

Excited to come back and do this one in the summer as it’s heavily shaded. Can be a bit confusing- we were trying to complete the loop but ended up staying left per the sign & eventually just had to turn around.

icy

This is a nice short hike that took us about an hour. There’s lots of snow everywhere so most of the trail is packed down snow with a layer of ice on top. Some areas with slush. Would definitely recommend spikes.

icy

excellent trail condition for trail-running. no ice, not muddy.

icy

Nice short trail just what I was looking for as my daughter was at practice nearby. Not very busy on a weekday. Leaves barely holding on but still beautiful.

Solid climb up. Got there about 830 AM and was the only one on the trail. Much busier when I left. Good fall hike with views of the leaves changing colors.

This was a very nice shady short hike. It is not marked as thaynes loop signs will say desolation and then will come down thaynes trail but easily found and marked.

I just did it today and honestly I feel so unsafe the whole time there.. it’s a beautiful hike with shadows but the nature is just taking the trail which is good for people that like to be close to it but not for me..

This is a nice shaded hike with beautiful views of the mountains and canyons. It is part of the Desolation Trail and isn't marked separately. I was on the trail by 8:30am and there was quite a bit of human and dog traffic but everyone was polite and the pooches well behaved. There were areas where folks has bagged and then left their dog's poop, not cool. Otherwise, I found this an enjoyable hike to start the morning.

This trail was nothing great. You can't see the stream, no views, LOTS of bugs and LOTS of bags of dog poop all along the trail.

This hike is very shady and beautiful. It is not too steep and the trail is well maintained. The only issue is that there are a ton of dogs on the trail.

Easy short hike. Possibly good for trail running.

Sun May 26 2019

Great quick evening hike with lots of shade and pretty views.

Mon May 20 2019

Tue Sep 25 2018

A little steep for my young kids, but beautiful and serene

Sat Apr 29 2017

Nice loop for a quick hike