Hat Shop via Under the Rim Trail

Hat Shop via Under the Rim Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bryce, Utah that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 4.0 miles Elevation Gain: 967 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Great trail. We were the only ones on it. The hat shop itself is very unique.

A truly beautiful trek with the otherworldly views that Bryce is famous for. The best Hatshop photos can be had if you take the trail a few hundred yards beyond the AllTrails turnaround. Did this on a Saturday and saw maybe 8 people (even though I waited about 10 minutes for a parking spot). The only reason this does not hit 5 stars is I did Navaho and Peek-a-boo loops 3 years (almost to the day) ago. Those loops brought you up close and personal with God’s artwork - at a price of a touch of congestion - making them even more breathtaking.

We walked this trail in the early afternoon after wandering the Peekaboo Loop in the morning. He was completely different, which we liked very much. We find this trail, contrary to the mediocre, other reviews, highly recommended.

I thought this was a great, less popular trail despite the mediocre reviews. I hiked this on a busy Saturday evening in the park and somehow I was the only soul on the trail - took me 2 hours to complete. The hat shop hoodoos were quite iconic in my opinion and worth a visit if you can fit it in your schedule. The only thing I will say though is the hike back up is quite strenuous on the legs and if you're not used to the elevation yet, you might be huffing and puffing alot. It's a workout for sure.

First mile a descent on trail with loose rock surface. Good and sturdy footwear and trek poles a must for balance assist. First vista is breathtaking, but overall, the return ascent is nothing to dismiss when determining if this trail is worth it.

The trail itself is unspectacular, but the Hat Shop is really cool. Definitely not a hard trail, but I'd recommend going later in the afternoon unless you want to get some sun.

Great trail. Only people we saw on trail was a ranger and two other hikers. Hat shop is really cool but the big views you get are what’s really worth it. The top mile or so is rocky but it smooths out after that.

I really enjoyed this hike! It’s a great alternative to the more “popular” Bryce Hikes, taking you down the lower rim to the Hat Shop which is a really neat configuration of rocks. I left later in the day and still only saw one other person on the trail. The trail took about 2 hours to complete with frequent stops for pictures and to catch my breath on the way back up.

Great hike! Did this route after sunrise at Bryce Point and we did not see anyone else until about the last half mile on our way back. The formations at Hat Shop are definitely an incredible sight to see. It is steep- would probably say this is only hard due to elevation change- but the views are well worth the exercise!

Absolutely beautiful hike! It took us just under 2 hours return, going at a decent clip. All downhill to Hat Shop, and all uphill back. But it’s got just a few switchback sections and is never too intense (it should be rated as “Moderate”). The rock formations at Hat Shop are outstanding, and there are great views along he way. Not many people on the trail today, despite great weather. Enjoy!

Fri Aug 17 2018

Did this right after watching sunrise at Bryce point and was literally the only person on this trail. Gorgeous views of the grand staircase. To me, those views we're more awesome than the hat shop formations. Really easy going to hat shop because it's all downhill. So, coming back was really steep. Even just those two miles back were exhausting.

Thu Jul 05 2018

Hat shop formations are worth it! Hike early in the morning or later evening. Take water. Save most of it for the return. Great views along the way. It took us about 3 hours. We went in the middle of the day. The way out is much harder. We are average ability hikers.

Tue May 22 2018

I really liked this trail. I hiked it in the early morning and enjoyed the contrast with hoodoos and trees. The Hat Shop is cool looking! Definitely a nice hike!

Thu Nov 30 2017

nice going down, STEEP on the way back out - it's fun to go part ways but doing the whole thing is a drag - if you want a less travelled trail which won't kill you on the uphill try the Riggs Spring Loop instead

Wed Jul 19 2017

Excellent trail, took us 2 and a quarter hours with lots of stops for photos. Amazingly lightly trafficked for Bryce in the summer season - we saw only one other person! Quite a work-out on the way back but totally worth it. Hat Shop itself was great to see close up. Look out for the pine tree, right by the trail, recently struck by lightning, blasting large chunks of trunk off the tree

recorded Under the Rim Trail