GSL Shorelands Preserve

GSL Shorelands Preserve is a 1.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Layton, Utah that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

wheelchair friendly

Enjoy a boarded walkway meandering through the Great Salt Lake Shorelands Preserve - a unique system of salt and fresh water marshes, ponds, pools, sloughs and mudflats. The Great Salt Lake Shorelands Preserve is a unique system of salt and fresh water marshes, ponds, pools, sloughs and mudflats. It is a rich feeding ground for tens of thousands of migrating birds, which use the Great Salt Lake as a resting point on their journeys from Canada to points in Central and South America. In fact, some of the largest gatherings of wildlife ever recorded on the Great Salt Lake have been observed here. The innovative visitor center at the Great Salt Lake Shorelands Preserve offers you the chance to experience and learn about the wetlands and its birds while keeping your feet dry! The wetlands of the Great Salt Lake provide important nesting and foraging habitat for over 250 species of birds. The lake is a critical link in the Pacific Flyway between North and South America. In fact, so many birds (between four and six million!) visit, feed and nest at the lake and its wetlands annually, it has been named as one of only seventeen sites of Hemispheric Importance in the Western Hemispheric Shorebird Reserve Network, an internationally important designation. Visitors may experience the Great Salt Lake Shorelands Preserve any time of year. The visitor center is open every day: April September: 7am to 8pm October March: 8am to 5pm

nice short boardwalk adventure, recommend going early morning or evening, middle of the hot day barely any wildlife. late summer seems like the marsh waters are pretty low as well. not a lot of cover so being water and sunscreen. pavilion is awesomely built.

Easy Trail

Hearing the birds and seeing all the beautiful mountains is very peaceful here. Be careful of the tower, there's lots of wasps.

Really beautiful trail. Nostalgic.

Short walk on a boardwalk over the marshy shoreline of the GSL. Saw numerous birds, loved the watchtower. Great place for kids. Don't forget your binoculars.

Not a hike. Nice place for a level stroll or bike ride. Love the architecture of the pavilion, the little fact boards along the way, and the observation tower in the middle of the marsh, which is one of my new favorite places. Though the spring migration is underway, not many birds around yet. Lots of cows, though, including one that had gotten around the fence to greet visitors on the trail and take a dump on the boardwalk. There were some bugs around the observation area, but not enough to bother me. No shade, but the day was cool and cloudy enough that I didn't require a hat.

Quaint and pleasant with lovely views of the mountains

We fat biked this trail in the winter when it was full of snow and then we did it again during the summer with our road bikes. Beautiful views of the marsh lands and the birds.

This is a great little walk in a beautiful setting. We learned a lot about the millions of birds who use it as a refueling stop during their long migrations from the signs along the way. The observation tower was our favorite part. Easy for little ones, strollers, or wheelchairs.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

omg so beautifu and relaxing.

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Excellent contribution to the preservation of nature. Location is in our backyards (Syracuse, Layton, Kaysville). Very accessible. Within 2 minutes you can see the marshlands without signs of civilization. True, they did cut down a forest to provide the elevated walking path that is so beautiful. The observatory is very serene and peaceful. Throughout the trail are information signs on local birds, insects, amphibians, etc. Very beautiful and just a turn off of Gentile street.

Monday, June 26, 2017

mmffcmmmmmmmmmmmm

Sunday, June 25, 2017

We went early spring with our 2 year old. It was a nice family friendly hike with amazing views. No bugs at that time however, I could see that being a problem in the hotter months.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Pleasant stroll on the boardwalk. No shade at all so plan accordingly based on weather.

Monday, June 05, 2017

Fun Sunday afternoon walk. Been twice so far. Mid-March was still too early for birds, but the view was gorgeous. Came back in start of June...wow! Birds and green everywhere! Perfect for strollers and wheelchairs as it's a boardwalked area.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Thursday, May 04, 2017

It was pretty, and it was a nice, easy hike. Well, it's more like a walk really. There were a lot of bugs though!

Friday, April 21, 2017

First hike on my journey back to health after cancer. Nice and easy. A few bugs but not too bad. Saw two rooster pheasants trying to decide which one was tougher. Pretty cool.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

This trail was great! We brought our 2.5 year old for a nice easy walk to get some energy out. We brought along the stroller just in case we didn't feel comfortable on the boardwalk but we didn't have to use it at all! The wooden towers along the boardwalk were awesome and we had fun climbing to the top and seeing Utah's beauty!

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

The kids loved this. We were out early enough the bugs weren't to bad.

Monday, April 03, 2017

I love the textures of this area, Therese peaceful feeling I get when I walk around the trail.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

it's a fantastic trail for the whole family,I really enjoyed it.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Short trail and not much of a hike but honestly it was beautiful with great sites. Mountains looked amazing!

Tuesday, November 01, 2016

great place for a first kiss

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Love this trail close to home

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Just a little nature walk, but the sunsets are gorgeous. Bring bug spray, and a camera. Lots of varying birds. A fun way to spend an hour or two.

Saturday, August 27, 2016

This is a nice walk, easy and toddler friendly , I will do it all the time

Friday, July 15, 2016

I didn't really enjoy this hike. It is a wooden ground bridge that circles around over marsh land. It has beautiful views of the surrounding landscape and that's why I rated the two stars. I enjoy being surrounded by trees and plants, this walk does not provide the nature appeal I desire. The walk lacks shade. I didn't really see birds. We also avoided walking up to the top of the tower because it was surrounded by bees and wasps. I don't know that I would do this again unless it is a time of year bees are hibernating.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Beautiful and super easy, kids friendly but no pets allowed.