Grotto Falls Trail

Grotto Falls Trail is a 0.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Santaquin, Utah that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Grotto Falls trail follows a small stream and curves its way through the forest crossing stream on large timbers put in place by the forest service. At the end of the trail you are greeted with a beautiful water fall cascading into a small pool of water, surrounded by steep rock walls.

closed

road closed due to huge pile of snow on the way there

Loved this trail. Unfortunately it burned in sept of 2018. who knows when someone will go and replace all the wood bridges. Even if they did it will be a very sad sight for a while.

Beautiful hike. Not much water this time of year. Want to do this in the spring.

Fun little trail with the kids. Loose cows on the trail, so watch for the cow pies. I was surprised at the amount of liter on the trail. Packed out what we could. Beautiful area and easy hike.

Just a quick walk but a beautiful little spot.

It's very easy hike. My two year old loved every minute of it. It's pretty and we loved the water fall.

Short and sweet! There are a lot of bridges to help you along the way and make it easier for your kids.

Great in the fall during the Nebo loop.

Always a beautiful, short hike along water. The grotto is easy to access too. Good for young children

This was a perfect little hike for my 2 and 4 year olds. I thought it was a little too short for me but was fun to do. Beautiful along the trail. We had the waterfall to ourselves at around 9:30 am but close to 10 it started getting pretty crowded (for a week day too).

Hiked with my 5 year old granddaughter and her mother....we all had a great time .... I received much instruction from my granddaughter. Only two people met on trail. Hiked at 8:00 in morning back home by ten

Easy, short, family friendly and fun, but usually extremely busy with lots of people.

Very pretty, fun little hike it can be crowded though.

The trail on its own is a great introduction for inexperienced hikers. My 5 year old son could accomplish the trail without needing any assistance or requiring a break. It has a few log bridges that cross the waterfall's stream that kids enjoy. The stream's size fluctuates depending on the run-off, but I have never seen it go above ankle deep.

This trail seems to attract a big crowd. plan accordingly around peak times or you maybe disappointed.

The easiest hike I’ve done it is short and so pretty with all the pine trees around. The water fall is small but a really nice place to go . I recommend it to go really early in the morning so you can enjoy the place to yourself.

Overcrowded and unsafe.

It was packed with people and little kids. Someone above the grotto dislodged a bolder that came crashing down into the area below. It was a miracle no one was killed or seriously injured. It was a hot day so everyone was in the shade around the edges around the edge of the grotto. If a kid was in the sun or crossing from one side to the other they could have easily been crushed.

My sister in law's ankle was hit by rock fragments. We did some quick first aid, packed up and left.

There are dozens of other great hikes in Payson Canyon. If you do go to the grotto, I would suggest avoiding crowded Saturdays during peak summer. In any case, keep your kids close and be hyper aware of who and what's above you.

Super easy and lots of fun for kids and our puppy. My 2 1/2 year old did it with no problems. I did have to help him on a few areas but otherwise very family friendly. Bring water shoes to walk in the water at the end.

We did not see anyone when we went in October. It did have lots of trash. Fun little falls for the girls but nothing to write home about.

Perfect trail for smaller kids, beautiful waterfall. Plenty of space for kids to play but super crowded. I rated 4 stars for that reason. if it were less crowded it would be 5 no question. The trail is really pretty but short.

There is no doubt this is a very heavily trafficked trail. The trail is quite leveled out by all the foot traffic as well as some trail sides. Finding loose stones or gravel is almost impossible on most of this trail due to the heavy foot traffic. That being said, there are times this trail is very quiet. When we went in, we saw only one couple at the falls, then exiting we saw a few people entering, which meant we had the whole trail virtually to ourselves for the hour we were here. While the trail is easy, and they have made it easy to get to the falls, there are places there are wooden boards, bridges and logs that go over the stream. Once you get to what seems like the end of the trail, there will be a rock face to your left, a very smooth tree stump ahead of you, and a place to step down into the creek to the right. Go down into the creek and cross through the water or over the log bridge, and around that rock face you will see the falls. You have to go down into the ravine to see the falls or you could see it from above if you climb/scramble up the rock.

Note on the distance: Alltrails mentions .6 miles, the trailhead says .5. I have tallied .9. Actually it would be closer to .8 (.1 from car parking to trailhead).

We visited in the fall and the colors were gorgeous. The trail and grotto were a little busy since it was a Saturday morning. A fairly easy hike with lots of crisscrossing over the creek.

Super fun! Very quick, would be great for any age. Bring the baby! Beautiful hike, and the falls make for a satisfying destination. Good one for a hot day, as the trial is mostly shaded and the falls provide a nice cool-off at the end of the trail. Would do again! Great for a last minute outing or before or after work.

Fun for families and short.

Absolutely beautiful! Short, easy trail, but busy.

Love this hike! We take our kids and dogs and it is very easy! Our favorite and our “go to hike”.

Was really easy...even took a stroller, had to lift it a few times, but the trail is super easy and beautiful! Water is super cold, would recommend going on a hot day so you can enjoy the cool off!

Worth a visit

Pretty and enjoyable. I definitely do it again, and our two year old managed it quite well. But super crowded. There were so many people in The Grotto that was didn’t spend a lot of time there. So avoid on holidays/weekends!

Small little hike up to the waterfall. It was a little muddy from the rain but it was great and fun

Gate is open. There's lots of water and around The Grotto it's muddy. No dinosaurs were found!