Grandstaff Trail

Grandstaff Trail is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Moab, Utah that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

At the end of this hike you come to Morning Glory Natural Bridge. The arch is only separated from the cliff behind it by 15 feet, so it is not as spectacular or photogenic as some other arches in the area that are not as big. When you stand directly underneath the span 75 feet above you, it is a very impressive piece of rock. On the list it is ranked 5th largest span in the world. Note: Be mindful of poison ivy along this trail.

Awesome hike!. We had 2 dogs with us (on leash!!) who had a blast. The mix of sun, shade, rocks and sand kept it interesting for all. It is not hard but long enough to call a hike. The arch and canyons all around are breathtaking. We were done by noon and it was not hot.

Amazing trail with beautiful views of the canyon! Great for dogs with many opportunities to play in water!

Good hike, good arch, heck of a good resting area under the arch

Lots of water and shade for the pup!

Fun hike, lots of water crossing when water is high.

What a gorgeous hike! The dog and I had a great time. Will definitely hike again the next time we're in Moab.

Easy hike and perfect for hot days you want to be by the water!

Fantastic hike. Hubby agrees. Says best hike we have done. We hiked in AZ and CA before arriving in UT. The canyon is beautiful. Arch at the trail end is incredible. Our pit bull terrier loved crossing the creek and trying to catch the lizards. Did see Poison Ivy but would not deter us from hiking the trail again. Only complaint is people who don’t respect the rules and allow their dogs to roam off leash and don’t pick up the poo. Head out by 0900 and you will enjoy the trail without the crowds.

Wonderful....great arch with shade at the end.

The bridge at the end is awesome. Unfortunately the trail getting there is infested in poison ivy. We vigilantly watched for it and tried to avoid it, but somehow both the dog and I started our week in Moab with poison ivy. I wouldn’t recommend for kids or pets.

Great hike. Beautiful Canyon. I'd say the hike is easy to moderate. only reason for 4 stars is because it was so packed. Not hard to keep your feet dry water is very shallow.

Probably one of my favourite hikes I’ve ever done anywhere. The scenery was breathtaking, it has equal parts sun and shade. I saw a lizard, lots of cacti and the river that you run along side was perfect to keep my dog hydrated. I would def go back and do this again. So glad I did it while I was in Moab

This trail was by far one of my most favorite hikes we did while in Moab. It’s beautiful! Trees, shade, sun, arches, rocks, water and dogs! It was awesome. I joked it in my Chaco sandals and shorts in April and it was perfect. Maybe bring a little insect repellent. I noticed bugs starting to come out. Also, watch out for cacti and poison ivy.

I would consider this an easy moderate trail. It was very scenic with the creek running alongside the trail, all of the greenery, the canyon walls towering on both sides, and of course the arch or land bridge at the end. You might get your feet wet since the trail crosses the creek several times. But, if you have good balance you might be able to stay dry!

I didn't get to complete this trail because I got there only an hour or so before the sunset. The colors and walking through the canyon had me awe-struck. Beware of snakes, I heard something rummaging through some shrubbery on the trail and know there's a fair amount of rattlers in the area. The sand was a pinkish red color that I'd never seen before, would definitely hike again!

Beautiful & fun hike. Especially good if you have a dog that you cannot take on a NP Trail. And having water along the way is nice too.

Great fun hike!

Planned to just hike but the trail was so perfect to run it. Not a lot of elevation change but absolutely gorgeous scenery. A few river crossings. Awesome natural bridge at the end. A couple small rock scrambles.

Great hike to wind down from spending the previous day at Arches. I actually liked this trail more than the ones I hiked at the National Park. It become very busy by mid day but we were already on our way out by 11:00 am. There are a couple spots that may be difficult for young children or dogs, but they are by no means impassable without a little help. The trail is gentle and easy to follow, and we enjoyed taking our time. We did not spot poison ivy, and neither did our dog. This tuckered out our 12 month old golden collie, but not us, so it's a good way to tire out your dog so you can spend the afternoon exploring Moab and getting some afternoon coffee and appetizers. Finally, just plan on some wet feet if you go, there are a number of stream crossings.

This trail was a lot of fun! I took my 2 ridgebacks with me and we all had a blast. There are still some slick spots with snow, ice and mud but no real issues with slipping and sliding (I didn’t wear Yaktrax). There’s also a few steep spots toward the back of the canyon that the dogs needed some help with, but they did fine. Great hike!

Still in mud season, so wear the Yak-trax. Fun, beautifu, trail. Easy to get distracted by the Canyon views....wet socks to prove it.

Really beautiful throughout. I went in december and saw only a handfull of people. Bring your yaktrax as what little snow was there was packed hard and icy.

You can get to the trailhead in under 10 minutes from Main St in Moab, so this is a pretty accessible hike. For the most part, it's very mellow, but in the middle there are a bunch of stream crossings and you can easily lose the trail (and get your feet wet if you are not agile). In my opinion, Morning Glory Bridge is not that great a payoff at the end, but the scenery around the canyon, especially as you are coming back, is great. I did not notice the poison ivy, along the way, so we'll see if that comes back to haunt me.

Beautiful!

Great hike! Quite busy on a Saturday morning.

loved the colorful landscape! arch was awesome at end!

Absolutely loved this hike! A varied, well traveled trail through gorgeous stream beds and little forests. A big change from the dry, exposed hikes in the area with a very cool payoff at the end. Not very challenging, but figuring out some of the stream crossings was a headscratcher at points. Perfect for a sunny day-- most of the trail is shaded!

Loved this short-ish hike! Many stream crossings and poison ivy, but a great hike next to a stream up a cool canyon leading to an arch. Myself and hiking partner didn't find it difficult, but does require some balance on the stream crossings.

Much harder trail than described in several publications. If you have any balance issues this is not the trail for you. You have to scramble up several rock outcroppings and cross a stream nine times. Most people seem to enjoy it we did not.

Beautiful hike but much more difficult than we expected. Crossed the stream 9 times. Some were difficult crossings. A couple large ricks to navigate. Worth the trip.