Grandstaff Trail

Grandstaff Trail is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Moab, Utah that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

At the end of this hike you come to Morning Glory Natural Bridge. The arch is only separated from the cliff behind it by 15 feet, so it is not as spectacular or photogenic as some other arches in the area that are not as big. When you stand directly underneath the span 75 feet above you, it is a very impressive piece of rock. On the list it is ranked 5th largest span in the world. Note: Be mindful of poison ivy along this trail.

Relatively easy hike. When you get to the bridge and short of water you can refill your bottle with the water seeping through the rock. Several spots to cool off if you choose to dip into the stream. I did.

One of my favorite hikes now. Even though there is shade bring water when it's hot out. Some minor scrambling but just a pleasant hike with a great cavern at the end. This will be on my to do list each time I visit Moab. Highly recommend.

Wildlife, wildflowers and yes, poison ivy. I think we successfully avoided the poison ivy. The bridge and area around the bridge, amazing.

Beautiful hike but watch out for the poison ivy and take plenty of water

Did this trail with two of our kids yesterday ages 21 and 10. Beautiful scenery but there is an abundance of poison ivy so be careful! There were some parts of the trail that were a tight squeeze on slippery rock but it was very manageable for all of us.

A great hike for a summer day! Able to take the dogs and it’s partially shaded so it wasn’t as hot as other trails in the area. Lots of water crossings, your feet will get wet! Nice scenery with the rock canyons, bushes, plants and stream/river! Be careful, there is a lot of poison ivy but easy to avoid- just be aware.

Total 5.0 miles. I would rate this as easy.

Awesome hike for a hot day with a great destination. The stream is cold and refreshing. There are small fish and a few crawdads in living in the stream as well. Make sure to take time to try and catch some! It's a blast.

Excellent and part shade was a bonus!!

Great trail and scenery. Our favorite trail in Moab.

We went about 30 minutes in and had a nice time. We liked that we could bring our dog, but parts of the trail were overgrown. It was dry enough that we did not get wet, but we could get close enough for our dog to drink from the stream. About half the time we were in shade and it was a nice walk.

Loved this hike. One of the most puppy friendly ones I’ve done. Lots of places for the dog to cool off. Pretty interesting views along the way.

One of my favorite trails in the area- possibly ever! Very easy to follow and you follow a stream for most of the hike. Diverse ecology yields many different beautiful aromas in the canyon. I try to go every time I go to Moab!

After hiking Arches and Canyonlands, this may be my favorite all around hike in Moab. It has a little of everything; open, wide trail, several stream crossings, and some rock scrambling. The payoff at the end is more than just the bridge, the entire cavern is impressive too!

This was a great hike. Not too long or too hard, but enough to feel like you deserve your snack :-) Beautiful arch at the end and lots of shade.

very enjoyable! great hike on a hot day. cool spot at the Arch at the end.
Don't pass up a dip in the creek.

I found this to be a surprisingly enjoyable hike, but would recommend doing it as part of a canyoneering trip (a lot of the places in Moab offer a Morning Glory route that drops you right on the trail). There are great views of the canyon, and a number of creek crossings that make it a little more fun than a standard hike.

Nice trail, some nice shady areas, but lots of poison ivy. Trail can be hard to follow at times. Wish i had worn chacos to walk through the water! Lots of dogs!

Conveniently close to highway 128 campgrounds. Great hike with a spectacular view of morning glory arch at the end. Follows a river with lots of poison ivy growing, but as long as you can identify it it’s not hard to avoid. We used a preventative lotion before and poison ivy wash after just to be safe.

The trail was shady with multiple water crossings all of the way up. I honestly didn't even notice the arch at the end until someone told me to look up. There is a nice rest area at the end with slick rock, water, and lots of shade. CAUTION: There was SO MUCH POISON IVY. The last 1/8 of the trail was a forest of poison ivy on both sides of the trail. Be very careful bringing dogs and children.

Nice shady hike along the stream to the arch. Many beautiful views and vistas along the way. Warning - lots of poison ivy, so stay on the trail and it is easily avoidable. Prickly pear are starting to bloom. There is a nice half-mile side hike in the canyon to the south at the 1.2 mile point from the trailhead that ends in a nice waterfall grotto - no water flowing at this time, but still worth it if you want a little extra. Stay in the stream bed to get there.

Amazing hike! The water all along the way made it so much fun, especially for our dog. I wore my Merrell hiking sandals, so I walked in the water a lot of the way. Our 7 month old baby loved playing in the sand once we reached Morning Glory and we enjoyed a nice little lunch and relaxed for a little. It's now one of my favorite trails.

Awesome hike!. We had 2 dogs with us (on leash!!) who had a blast. The mix of sun, shade, rocks and sand kept it interesting for all. It is not hard but long enough to call a hike. The arch and canyons all around are breathtaking. We were done by noon and it was not hot.

Amazing trail with beautiful views of the canyon! Great for dogs with many opportunities to play in water!

Good hike, good arch, heck of a good resting area under the arch

Lots of water and shade for the pup!

Fun hike, lots of water crossing when water is high.

What a gorgeous hike! The dog and I had a great time. Will definitely hike again the next time we're in Moab.

Easy hike and perfect for hot days you want to be by the water!

Fantastic hike. Hubby agrees. Says best hike we have done. We hiked in AZ and CA before arriving in UT. The canyon is beautiful. Arch at the trail end is incredible. Our pit bull terrier loved crossing the creek and trying to catch the lizards. Did see Poison Ivy but would not deter us from hiking the trail again. Only complaint is people who don’t respect the rules and allow their dogs to roam off leash and don’t pick up the poo. Head out by 0900 and you will enjoy the trail without the crowds.