Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Grandeur Peak Trail (West Face)

Grandeur Peak Trail (West Face) is a 4.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From Wasatch Blvd at 33rd South the approach is reached from about 2900 South on Cascade Way which is a frontage road.

This is a great hike with amazing views. Earlier today was a mix of dirt, mud, snow pow, deep snow and slush! I will definitely be doing it again with my hiking poles and in the spring & summer!

Good hike. The trail was deeply etched because the Wasatch Hiking club went up earlier. The view was good from this minor Wasatch peak.

Great smaller practice peak if you wanna do shorter periods for mountaineering training in winter. Great for trail running or simply just super fitness. More of a slog in winter but can be a quickie in summer. Doesn't ever flatten out and is really good for cardio and increasing VO2 max (I'm trying to sound smart here....so...). Anyway hard but rewarding. The view and eating out afterwards are definitely worth it.

I hiked yesterday before reading the reviews. Hiked all the way with trail running shoes with very little grips. Not a good idea.

Last week of February but there is a lot of snow on the trail. Very challenging due to ascension almost 1500 feet each mile. Highly recommend to use micro spike and/or nice pair of waterproof hiking shoes along with hiking poles to come down. Beautiful view of the Mt Olympus and part of wasatch as well as great view of Salt Lake City. It’s absolutely worth it getting to the peak.

Phone died but completed the summit in at 4:40 pm

Hiked before a snowstorm hit on December 30th. Kind of wish I’d taken the East trail as the West seemed to have deeper snow..It was a slog through all of the snow and definitely would recommend setting aside 3-4 hours at least in the winter to summit. Powder levels at the summit were almost 4 feet and deeper in some areas so you really have to watch your step and the coming back down was slippery. Microspikes and waterproof spray for boots/water resistant boots are a must this time of year. Want to hike in the summer now.

I planned to hike the church fork route from the east, but did not specify to Google maps, which took me to this trailhead. With limited time before my flight left, I decided to go for it. It was unrelentingly steep for sure, but not overwhelmingly. The afternoon sunlight on the golden grass and city view made it worth it. The east route was likely cold in the shade. Being from Michigan, a handful of breaks were need to catch my breath. It was a cool experience, but will likely explore other options the next visit to SLC.

Great views at the top, tough going getting there. SO STEEP, but I would still recommend. I went up around 4:30 and came down just in time to see the sun setting.

Once you get close to the first summit, there's snow but it has been tramped down and isn't really a problem. I was running and it wasn't very slippery. More positive still, the recent snow/rain has firmed up the trail a bit. (Downside to the West approach to Grandeur? You hear I-80/215 the entire time.)

This trail is rated 'hard' and probably deserves it. I went up it today, Monday Oct 1st. It was extremely windy just below the summit coming down and blew me down once. It rained hard icy rain for about 10 minutes. But all that passed and it was fine the rest of the way down.

Facing the mountain, I took the right-hand path up and same path down. This is the harder path and is a lot of elevation gain in a short climb. You'll definitely get a workout. The footing is also treacherous with loose gravel covering steep surfaces. Be careful, especially coming down.

Accidentally chose a severely windy morning, nearly blew off the mountain several times on the way down. This was a brutal hike, started at 5:45, got to the top just before 8. The way back was rough for me as well, fell several times due to the winds and the descent. I think this hike deserves a mailbox!!

I really did love this hike. If the sky Is clear you have mountain Views to the east and valley views to the west! It did have some areas of the trail where if I failed to look up I definitely went along the wrong trail as it seems there are some lightly trafficked areas that can pass as trails. The ascent was steep but a great workout and the descent was pretty challenging as well. I consider myself fit and was sore for a few days after. I saw 2 snakes that definitely made me jump but they were otherwise harmless. Definitely more bugs above the tree line but they didn’t bite.

We just finished the loop for the first time. This was a very difficult hike! Constant uphill. The views where incredible though. I highly recommend trekking poles for the decent. Our knees were wrecked afterwards without them. We did see a rattlesnake in the evening right before the loop. It was on the right side of the trail in the brush. it was small, agressive, coiled and not happy we we're walking by. We left it alone and steered clear but I just thought others should be aware.

STEEP!!! If you’re looking to gain as much elevation as possible within a short distance, look no further. The trail is ruthless on the ascent and descent if you choose to not do the loop. Save your knees and descend via the loop. Throughout the trail, you have a beautiful view of the city and an even better view from the top. Start early to beat the heat since there isn’t much shade. Overall, decent trail (besides all the snakes).

Holy hell this is steep. Are you crazy enough to hike this at noon on the day that reaches 100° I hope not. If you’re smarter than me and you to start early in the morning while there is more shade this trail has great views of the valley with occasional spots to stop in the shade at least that’s the first half mile. Stop in the shade and watch a white line and airplane slowly glide across the valley heading north to the airport. 4920-5576 ft. in 1mile.

I had to take approximately 50 breaks on the way up because of the constant ascent. Just straight up, up, up for 2-3 hours depending on your pace. Not to mention the zero shade that the trail offers (Approximately 10 trees with shade in total). The views are absolutely breath-taking though, from start to finish! I definitely recommend doing this early morning or late afternoon or on a day when the sun won't be beating down on you. And wear some good grip hiking shoes as the rubble can be quite slippery!

The equivalent of 2 hours on a stair master, and instead of “looping” we doubled back on the same trail and wrecked our knees. Sad face.
The climb is a challenge; but a good one. There were beautiful birds and wildflowers- that was the best part, but I wouldn’t want to do this hike again unless we took the loop. I recommend going early in the day, as there is little to no shade. Round trip was about 5 hours due to pausing for bird watching, taking in the view and wishing for a flat stretch.

Steep but beautiful views and lots of shade!

Really steep and sunny. Quality views. The hike up was nice and challenging. The flies on top were a bummer. The descent was just plain punishment.

Holy hell this hike was hard! Great if you want a hike to kick your butt. We initially wanted to do the moderate side of this hike, but ended up doing the hard one. That was a bit of a surprise. However, the views are stunning the whole way. It took us about 4 hrs round trip and we stopped a lot to catch our breath. Bring lots of water and beware of the sun. There was a nice breeze and there were some shady spots, but it’ll be a hot hike later in the summer.

It’s hard because it is constant steep. My fit bit said 7.5 miles. Going up is much more fun then coming down.

Incredible views at sunset and a wonderful view of the valley the whole way! Killer uphills, and even harder since this was one of my first hikes of the season. Be ready for a workout and some sore legs. Probably best to do before it gets too hot considering there is very minimal coverage.

This has been the best training peak I’ve been on. If you want to challenge your cardio and push yourself. Very rewarding at the top but sad to say going downhill is even more difficult. Great for training, but choose the east side if you want a somewhat leisure but still difficult hikeZ

We wanted to hike the East trail(moderate one) but ended up at this(Damn you google maps ) . It’s a steep hike and a never ending trail(at least that’s how I felt). I wouldn’t recommend this to a beginner. Carry lots of water.

I took the loop counterclockwise, descending down the northern leg. Spicy! Haha. My GPS clocked the hike at 5.2 miles RT, with 3,325 ft of elevation gain. 2.5 hours up with plenty of breaks for water and pictures, didn't hang out at the top because of all the flies, and 1.5 hours down. I carried 2 liters of water and drank all of it. A little jogging at the end kept the trip under 4 hours. :)

I'm one for a challenge, and this route to the peak will definitely give you a workout. It's quite a steady incline the entire way up through gravelly rock at the beginning, and ending with a semi rock scramble. Great views the entire way. I'll be back!

absolutely stunning views over salt lake valley and also along i-80. views for days! took me 3 hours round trip with stopping to eat and allowing time for photos as well. highly recommend it before it gets to hot.

Well, I haven’t hiked in eight months. Needless to say this hike kicked my ass. We puffed and vented all the way to the summit despite the treacherous ice. The first 1.5 miles of this hike are by far the hardest as they are the steepest. Hiked on 4/8/18 and no spikes/crampons were needed to reach the summit.

very fun.

beautiful hike!

Great, steep trail for pack training. Also, conveniently located next to the gym for multi days.