Grandeur Peak Trail (West Face)

Grandeur Peak Trail (West Face) is a 4.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From Wasatch Blvd at 33rd South the approach is reached from about 2900 South on Cascade Way which is a frontage road.

STEEP!!! If you’re looking to gain as much elevation as possible within a short distance, look no further. The trail is ruthless on the ascent and descent if you choose to not do the loop. Save your knees and descend via the loop. Throughout the trail, you have a beautiful view of the city and an even better view from the top. Start early to beat the heat since there isn’t much shade. Overall, decent trail (besides all the snakes).

Holy hell this is steep. Are you crazy enough to hike this at noon on the day that reaches 100° I hope not. If you’re smarter than me and you to start early in the morning while there is more shade this trail has great views of the valley with occasional spots to stop in the shade at least that’s the first half mile. Stop in the shade and watch a white line and airplane slowly glide across the valley heading north to the airport. 4920-5576 ft. in 1mile.

I had to take approximately 50 breaks on the way up because of the constant ascent. Just straight up, up, up for 2-3 hours depending on your pace. Not to mention the zero shade that the trail offers (Approximately 10 trees with shade in total). The views are absolutely breath-taking though, from start to finish! I definitely recommend doing this early morning or late afternoon or on a day when the sun won't be beating down on you. And wear some good grip hiking shoes as the rubble can be quite slippery!

The equivalent of 2 hours on a stair master, and instead of “looping” we doubled back on the same trail and wrecked our knees. Sad face.
The climb is a challenge; but a good one. There were beautiful birds and wildflowers- that was the best part, but I wouldn’t want to do this hike again unless we took the loop. I recommend going early in the day, as there is little to no shade. Round trip was about 5 hours due to pausing for bird watching, taking in the view and wishing for a flat stretch.

Steep but beautiful views and lots of shade!

Really steep and sunny. Quality views. The hike up was nice and challenging. The flies on top were a bummer. The descent was just plain punishment.

Holy hell this hike was hard! Great if you want a hike to kick your butt. We initially wanted to do the moderate side of this hike, but ended up doing the hard one. That was a bit of a surprise. However, the views are stunning the whole way. It took us about 4 hrs round trip and we stopped a lot to catch our breath. Bring lots of water and beware of the sun. There was a nice breeze and there were some shady spots, but it’ll be a hot hike later in the summer.

It’s hard because it is constant steep. My fit bit said 7.5 miles. Going up is much more fun then coming down.

Incredible views at sunset and a wonderful view of the valley the whole way! Killer uphills, and even harder since this was one of my first hikes of the season. Be ready for a workout and some sore legs. Probably best to do before it gets too hot considering there is very minimal coverage.

This has been the best training peak I’ve been on. If you want to challenge your cardio and push yourself. Very rewarding at the top but sad to say going downhill is even more difficult. Great for training, but choose the east side if you want a somewhat leisure but still difficult hikeZ

We wanted to hike the East trail(moderate one) but ended up at this(Damn you google maps ) . It’s a steep hike and a never ending trail(at least that’s how I felt). I wouldn’t recommend this to a beginner. Carry lots of water.

I took the loop counterclockwise, descending down the northern leg. Spicy! Haha. My GPS clocked the hike at 5.2 miles RT, with 3,325 ft of elevation gain. 2.5 hours up with plenty of breaks for water and pictures, didn't hang out at the top because of all the flies, and 1.5 hours down. I carried 2 liters of water and drank all of it. A little jogging at the end kept the trip under 4 hours. :)

I'm one for a challenge, and this route to the peak will definitely give you a workout. It's quite a steady incline the entire way up through gravelly rock at the beginning, and ending with a semi rock scramble. Great views the entire way. I'll be back!

absolutely stunning views over salt lake valley and also along i-80. views for days! took me 3 hours round trip with stopping to eat and allowing time for photos as well. highly recommend it before it gets to hot.

Well, I haven’t hiked in eight months. Needless to say this hike kicked my ass. We puffed and vented all the way to the summit despite the treacherous ice. The first 1.5 miles of this hike are by far the hardest as they are the steepest. Hiked on 4/8/18 and no spikes/crampons were needed to reach the summit.

very fun.

beautiful hike!

Great, steep trail for pack training. Also, conveniently located next to the gym for multi days.

Great hike yesterday steep, a little snowy at the top with a great view. No spikes but would have been useful on the way back down.

Great well marked trail, challenging and steep hike! Great views from the top!

Just did this yesterday! Pretty Steep, great views. Snow is solid up top, my micro spikes came in handy but not necessary. On the steeper side so not necessarily for first time hikers. Took us about 4 hours...lots of breaks haha.

Great hike! Lots of snow and ice, so definitely need micro spikes.

Good hike, but it is steep and in early February there was a lot of ice and snow toward the top

pretty good hike there is snow and ice in top but ice cleat or micro spike will work prefect. great work out.

Whoa! Amazing climb! Very steep - mostly muddy and sludge today. Incredible view of the valley!!!

Jan. 27, 2018 hiking
Only need microspikes at the moment. It did get pretty windy towards the top so dress warmly. Pretty chill pace since I haven't hiked much the last few months and I developed a blister on my heel. 2 hours up, 1.5 down

Love this hike!

A little muddy but other than that very good. Had to ditch my crampons about 4/5 of the way up because the snow got so sticky it was forming in big chunks on the spikes

It was hard to run at first, as it was very steep. However after the first half I was able to jog the rest. Took about 1 hour and 45 minutes to summit and about 35 minutes to get back to my car.

Great Hike!

Awesome incline but a bit rocky in some spots! Watch your step and Mountain bikers.