Grandeur Peak East Trail from Church Fork

Grandeur Peak East Trail from Church Fork is a 6.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

partially paved

This took me 3.5 hours and I’m and out of town / somewhat out of shape person. Spikes were all I used but I wouldn’t have minded having some poles. Relatively steady incline until the end it gets a little steep but doable. Incredible views.

Just finished this hike. If your looking for a way out of the inversion soup, this is a great little hike to get above it. The trail is hard pack snow, making it a really nice, smooth hike. It’s actually a more comfortable hike than in summer in my opinion. With micro spikes and poles you’ll have zero problems on this trail. Beautiful, sunny warm skies up there above the smog. It’s well worth it!!

Great hike! Bring those spikes!

Just got down. Only spikes used, some areas I wish I had poles but overall doable without, at this time. Thanks to the postholers, everything is mostly compact. Great hike.

Beautiful hike this morning. Only used spikes. Did some post holing about the last half mile.

Great hike, great views. I would say its even better to do this hike in the winter on a nice day...just really beautiful from top to bottom with the snow. Microspikes are the way to go. If you're not running up or down the trail I would say you could knock this out 2/1/2 - 3 hrs of actual hiking time if you're in moderate shape. If you do run down it takes about 35-45 mins with some stretches of walking.

Trail is packed snow most of the time, wet dirt in many spots. Spikes are very helpful, especially at the steep parts near the top. Snowshoes would be overkill. It was a nice clear day which made for incredible views!

Hiked it this am. Had to park on the road since we started early (5:30am) and the gate was closed. It was cool in the predawn, but it warmed a bit as we left the creek and then again as the sun rose as we approached the summit at 6:30. Including a break at the summit to enjoy the view it was still under 2 hours round trip. A little steep in spots, but nothing technical or challenging. Under 90 minutes would've been possible if we'd run down.

Definitely recommend the hike. Had been 20+ years since I hiked it last but the rattle of the Aspen leaves and the smell of brush and wild flowers was very nostalgic. The view in every direction was fantastic.

A nice trail with great views but waaay too busy. The trail is packed all the way so I really did not need the snowshoes.

Beautiful hike. Steep at the beginning and the end but the midsection is mild. Views at the end were great. Trail is icy in spots so make sure you have proper footwear and/or poles. Trail was a little busier than I would have liked but worth it regardless. There is a $3 fee to access the canyon and dogs have to be leashed on even days.

Such a beautiful hike! The leaves were just turning colors and there was a lot of shade.

Perfect low elevation hike while the weather permits. No snow on the trail nor at the top, which is why it was perfect for this time of year.

Great mid-range hike. Passing through Church Falls is beautiful, and the views of Millcreek Canyon from the top are amazing. Legs got a little tired towards the top, though.

Consistent climbing up, amazing views along the trail!!

1 hr up. 30 down push hard for a great leg day. great fall views

I've hiked the east face trail of Grandeur several times and I love it. For me, it's the perfect combination of length + elevation gain that gives me a great workout but I'm not exhausted when it's over.

The parking is not great, however. There's only room for about 8 cars at the trailhead, then you have to park out on the main road which adds about a half mile to your hike.

Well maintained trail but no great views until the top. Pretty steep incline throughout most the hike, so you will definitely feel your legs burn. Overall a pretty fun hike!

Hiked w/ my 9 yr old son, 2 hrs up, 1 hr down. Well-maintained, heavily travelled trail, smooth and steady climb. Good for serious trail runners (very few rocks/roots). Dog-friendly. Not much of a view until you get to the top. No cell reception until top ridge. You CAN PARK up past the picnic areas but there are ONLY 7 spots at the trailhead. They were all taken on this hot sunny weekday afternoon, but it saves you 0.4 miles.

Gorgeous fall colors all along the way and spectacular view at the summit. I would classify this as a hard, not moderate. I consider myself in shape but this mountain kicked my butt! Temps were just perfect. It took us 3 hours 40 minutes. Watch the tree roots on the way down, I took a nasty spill.

Awesome hike to a 360 degree view!

I am a beginner hiker in okay shape and this was a toughie! For me this was on the harder side of moderate. It basically inclines steadily for 2 miles, then gradually for a mile, then sharply for .4 miles. First mile-ish is in the shade, then it's pretty much no shade until the top! Sunscreen is a must and I regret starting this trail at 10:30am. It took me 2.5 hours to get to the top, and much of this trail ended up being in over 80 degree weather and lots of sun. Bring plenty of water. A neat 360 degree view at the top. I won't do this again until I'm in better shape!

Grandeur Peak has spectacular 360 degree views. One side you have the Salt Lake Valley and the other you have nearly untouched wilderness of the Wasatch Mountains. There are some points up the trail that are a bit steep and rough on the knees, but nothing technical at all or anything too hard. The payoff in the end is absolutely worth it.
A lot of dogs on the trail. Nearly as many as humans. We did see a sign that stated dogs were allowed on odd-numbered days only, so if you aren't one to want to share the trail with pups, then try an even-numbered day. Also, few children on this hike unless they were being carried by their parents. I think a child 8 and over could do this hike.

Beautiful views of the canyon and the valley!
Went with the intention of watching the sunset but we got chased out by a lightening storm!

There are a lot of things to trip on. There is some scrambling involved in a few spots. I'm 5' 5" and me and my two dogs handled it... pretty well.

Caution : There are plenty of little water spots for dogs to try and drink from. One of my dogs got very sick about 6 hours later... And it lasted all the next day. I don't know if it was from the water or something on the ground.. Just be aware of your pooch!

I would love to try this again, when it isn't storming.

08/17/2018

Did this hike with my wife on Saturday morning around 930am. Should’ve left earlier because it got blistering hot on the way down. Also, asthma suffers beware! With the wildfire smoke so dense I’ve never felt my self literally gasping for air towards the top. I recommend if you are sensitive to this bad air right now, stay away. Other than that, lots of little lizards looking for bugs on the trail. Lots of bugs at the top. Can’t wait till the smoke clears so we can hike this one again and enjoy the views!

My family would tell you I am obsessed with this hike. Beautiful trail, flowers in early summer. Just enough alternation of elevation and then some levelling out to feel like a good bit of interval cardio. It does get more difficult towards the end, but oh so worth it. I tended to hike in the afternoon, so the temperatures were lovely, and shade was about 50/50. It took me 2 hours from the freeway to reach the peak. Views at the peak are gorgeous. Half of the view you can gaze over Salt Lake, the other half you can look over Emmigration and Wasatch canyons while feeling that you're miles from the city.

Heard the rattle near the top! Hike had pretty even elevation gains and was nicely shaded below, lots of exposure second half. Amazing 360 degree views from the top but the wildfire smoke was a lil damper. Started at 7am on a Friday and only saw a handful of people.

My first summit! Did this one back in 2012, but it was what would become the first of many loved climbs. :-)

Great views. Brought my Huskies with me.

This is a shot in the dark... my cell phone fell out of my backpack today . If someone stumbles upon an iphone 7 with a gold glitter case, a message will appear who to call once charged. Likely place it fell: towards the top of the map, there's a spot on the trail that takes a sharp right then turns left again making a Z. Instead of taking that sharp right I veered to the left into a sandy/rocky area for a bit before realizing I was off trail. We think it fell somewhere in there. As for my review... moderately strenuous hike with incredible views! (disappointed to have had to turn around early today!)

I just did this one this morning. The views at the top are amazing!

Loved it! The hike was certainly moderately inclined throughout. I don’t think any parts were steeper than any others. The trail was nice, soft dirt, but not loose dirt. Not a lot of rocks. The views as you climb get better and better. The peak is magnificent. 360 degree high-level views as far as your eye can see. The trail is mostly shaded in the beginning and much less so as you get nearer to the peak. No nearby water for refills, so bring plenty. We did this hike around noon Sunday and there were very few people on the trail. Highly recommend!