Grandeur Peak East Trail from Church Fork

Grandeur Peak East Trail from Church Fork is a 6.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Did this hike with my wife on Saturday morning around 930am. Should’ve left earlier because it got blistering hot on the way down. Also, asthma suffers beware! With the wildfire smoke so dense I’ve never felt my self literally gasping for air towards the top. I recommend if you are sensitive to this bad air right now, stay away. Other than that, lots of little lizards looking for bugs on the trail. Lots of bugs at the top. Can’t wait till the smoke clears so we can hike this one again and enjoy the views!

My family would tell you I am obsessed with this hike. Beautiful trail, flowers in early summer. Just enough alternation of elevation and then some levelling out to feel like a good bit of interval cardio. It does get more difficult towards the end, but oh so worth it. I tended to hike in the afternoon, so the temperatures were lovely, and shade was about 50/50. It took me 2 hours from the freeway to reach the peak. Views at the peak are gorgeous. Half of the view you can gaze over Salt Lake, the other half you can look over Emmigration and Wasatch canyons while feeling that you're miles from the city.

Heard the rattle near the top! Hike had pretty even elevation gains and was nicely shaded below, lots of exposure second half. Amazing 360 degree views from the top but the wildfire smoke was a lil damper. Started at 7am on a Friday and only saw a handful of people.

My first summit! Did this one back in 2012, but it was what would become the first of many loved climbs. :-)

Great views. Brought my Huskies with me.

This is a shot in the dark... my cell phone fell out of my backpack today . If someone stumbles upon an iphone 7 with a gold glitter case, a message will appear who to call once charged. Likely place it fell: towards the top of the map, there's a spot on the trail that takes a sharp right then turns left again making a Z. Instead of taking that sharp right I veered to the left into a sandy/rocky area for a bit before realizing I was off trail. We think it fell somewhere in there. As for my review... moderately strenuous hike with incredible views! (disappointed to have had to turn around early today!)

I just did this one this morning. The views at the top are amazing!

Loved it! The hike was certainly moderately inclined throughout. I don’t think any parts were steeper than any others. The trail was nice, soft dirt, but not loose dirt. Not a lot of rocks. The views as you climb get better and better. The peak is magnificent. 360 degree high-level views as far as your eye can see. The trail is mostly shaded in the beginning and much less so as you get nearer to the peak. No nearby water for refills, so bring plenty. We did this hike around noon Sunday and there were very few people on the trail. Highly recommend!

Great warm-up peak if you're planning some of the taller mountains in the area. Fairly steep early on, but becomes easier for a stretch until the final push to the top. Snow melts early too, so it's a great early season hike.

This hike had some pretty incredible views! The only thing that bothered me was how much exposure you get to the sun in some areas.. so I would suggest hiking this pretty early to avoid the heat. We didn’t see any wildlife.. but the views made up for that. We also managed to lose the trail in one area where there’s a sharp turn, but there’s also another trail going straight at the same point.. if you end up scrambling up sliding red rocks, you’re going the wrong way haha

This is my new favorite! Lots of tree cover on the bottom half, sweet earthy smells along the creek, absolutely stunning views. Did this as a solo hike, and there were just enough other people on the trail that it felt safe, but not crowded. Ample parking @ 7:30am. As others have indicated, do be aware of rattlesnakes, I saw two within feet of the trail. Also got to see a few lizards, and two unidentifiable large birds with unusual flight patterns, perched atop the tallest tree at the peak. I can’t wait to do this one again!

Great hike, especially the views. Lower half has more shade, upper half has better views. Didn't see a lot of wild flowers. There were plenty of hikers with dogs. Lots of lizards. Saw a spotted towhee and a female dusky grouse. Saw one rattlesnake at the very top. Lots of little lizards. Any spot where water crossed the trail was swarming with wasps/hornets on the way up, but we just walked through and they didn't bother us. They were gone by 8pm on our way back. Definitely park at the trailhead vice the the highway. Just enter the Church Fork Picnic Area and keep going by all the picnic spots until you can't go any further.

Beautiful hike!

This trail is perfect for someone seeking a moderate hike that still gives them the satisfaction of conquering a peak. It has lots of really pretty views, and you can see mount Olympus, as well as most of the salt lake valley from the top. For those who are looking to intensify their adventure, it also is very fun to run.

I'd give this 3 1/2 stars, but given no half stars it drops to a 3 for reasons to follow.

The hike is a good workout, and I extended it a bit by starting at Rattlesnake Gulch, then connecting over with a short 2-mile stretch of Pipeline. That alone gets it 2 stars.

The flowers were really nice when I did it on Friday, June 22nd, and that gives it another star, as does hiking next to water for a fair bit.

The drawbacks were that the views from the top are good, but not great. They're expansive, but not Alpine. Additionally, once on the upper ridge and on top then noise from some industrial operation down in the valley broke up the potential for serene appreciation.

I'd do this again, but there are so many hikes in the greater SLC area I wouldn't be rushing back...

Very pretty trail, but better done in the morning. The flies would not leave me alone and I was spooked by 3 rattlesnakes and a couple of smaller, probably harmless snakes.

Completed this hike on 6/16 late afternoon/evening. This was a difficult hike for the being rated moderate. The hike is more like 4 miles each way if you start from the road, which is what the signs say to do. Wide trail for the first mile or so, but gets quite narrow after that. Lots of beautiful wild flowers this weekend, which got better as you get closer to the peak. Tons of bugs the whole way. Lots of shade at the beginning of the hike, but less as you get farther up. We saw a snake a little ways from the peak. Not sure what kind it was, but it didn't look like a rattlesnake. Gorgeous panoramic view at the top, with views of the city and the surrounding mountains.

Moderate? Really? As I lay in bed with my broken body haha! It was very beautiful, and one hell of a hike. It being my first peak, it was quiet the work out and I really had to push myself. Lots of cute lizards and shade here and there. The views are amazing and the wild flowers were beautiful.

Took 2 hours up and 1.5 back down and I stopped maybe 10 times to take a 1 minute break. Cool view of the city but even better views of the mountains to the east. Beautiful wildflowers this time of year. One of my favs in Utah. Hiked this on a Monday morning and started at 7 am. Hardly anyone on the trail!

A great early season hike. I wouldn't want to do this hike on a hot day in full sun as it's fairly exposed. One of the easiest peak hikes you can do in the Wasatch!

Super petty, not too hard or crowded! But it has 0’shade!

Loved this trail! Some of the most beautiful views of the mountains and valley. Started at 8 am, got to the peak about 9:30. Got down in about an hour. Great workout but not as hard as other peaks. Definitely one of my favorite hikes now. Everything was super green & lots of beautiful wildflowers.

Took my pup up last night, did not disappoint. However, this is the most strenuous “moderate” trail I’ve ever seen haha.
Gets hardest the last half mile, so be prepared for that. Didn’t see any snakes. Returned to my vehicle close to 1am and felt safe the entire time. Love this trail!

On Sunday, June 10th, the wildflowers were in peak form. Lupine, penstemon, vetch, and wild roses surround the trail. No snakes or other wildlife except lizards, which used to be abundant in the Salt Lake Valley, but seem to be non-existent there now. A beautiful view of the valley from the summit is a great reward for a hearty hike.

super pretty!!! fairly steep and not many flat areas to hike i would say this is a little closer to hard an moderate but 10/10 would recommend. but watch for snakes we saw 4 today...

Great hike! It was the perfect length and difficulty. You have to walk through the parking lot for several minutes before arriving at the trailhead. Saw no snakes and the bugs weren't too bad either.

I did this super early in the morning, so no rattlesnakes, no bugs and not that many people. The downside of starting early is that the Church Fork gate is closed until 8 AM, so you have to walk .2 miles up through the picnic area to the trailhead, which may be the steepest part of the hike. Most of the people with dogs are considerate, but sadly, not all of them.

Such a beautiful and fun hike! Great during the day, and as a sunset hike!

Very fun trail with good views. Very very crowded though with some narrow parts that passing with dogs becomes an issue when the trail is crowded

Great hike with beautiful views! Please be aware the flies come out in abundance once it starts to warm up and literally stick to you from mile 1 and beyond. We had two different types of bug sprays with us and neither worked. Rattle snakes were also up and making their way across the trail in multiple locations. Recommend this as a early morning hike.

Beautiful! Flies are out once it starts to warm up. Still worth it. :)