Grandeur Peak East Trail from Church Fork is a 6.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

partially paved

46 minutes ago

Such a beautiful hike! The leaves were just turning colors and there was a lot of shade.

Perfect low elevation hike while the weather permits. No snow on the trail nor at the top, which is why it was perfect for this time of year.

Great mid-range hike. Passing through Church Falls is beautiful, and the views of Millcreek Canyon from the top are amazing. Legs got a little tired towards the top, though.

Consistent climbing up, amazing views along the trail!!

1 hr up. 30 down push hard for a great leg day. great fall views

I've hiked the east face trail of Grandeur several times and I love it. For me, it's the perfect combination of length + elevation gain that gives me a great workout but I'm not exhausted when it's over.

The parking is not great, however. There's only room for about 8 cars at the trailhead, then you have to park out on the main road which adds about a half mile to your hike.

Well maintained trail but no great views until the top. Pretty steep incline throughout most the hike, so you will definitely feel your legs burn. Overall a pretty fun hike!

Hiked w/ my 9 yr old son, 2 hrs up, 1 hr down. Well-maintained, heavily travelled trail, smooth and steady climb. Good for serious trail runners (very few rocks/roots). Dog-friendly. Not much of a view until you get to the top. No cell reception until top ridge. You CAN PARK up past the picnic areas but there are ONLY 7 spots at the trailhead. They were all taken on this hot sunny weekday afternoon, but it saves you 0.4 miles.

Gorgeous fall colors all along the way and spectacular view at the summit. I would classify this as a hard, not moderate. I consider myself in shape but this mountain kicked my butt! Temps were just perfect. It took us 3 hours 40 minutes. Watch the tree roots on the way down, I took a nasty spill.

Awesome hike to a 360 degree view!

I am a beginner hiker in okay shape and this was a toughie! For me this was on the harder side of moderate. It basically inclines steadily for 2 miles, then gradually for a mile, then sharply for .4 miles. First mile-ish is in the shade, then it's pretty much no shade until the top! Sunscreen is a must and I regret starting this trail at 10:30am. It took me 2.5 hours to get to the top, and much of this trail ended up being in over 80 degree weather and lots of sun. Bring plenty of water. A neat 360 degree view at the top. I won't do this again until I'm in better shape!

Grandeur Peak has spectacular 360 degree views. One side you have the Salt Lake Valley and the other you have nearly untouched wilderness of the Wasatch Mountains. There are some points up the trail that are a bit steep and rough on the knees, but nothing technical at all or anything too hard. The payoff in the end is absolutely worth it.
A lot of dogs on the trail. Nearly as many as humans. We did see a sign that stated dogs were allowed on odd-numbered days only, so if you aren't one to want to share the trail with pups, then try an even-numbered day. Also, few children on this hike unless they were being carried by their parents. I think a child 8 and over could do this hike.

Beautiful views of the canyon and the valley!
Went with the intention of watching the sunset but we got chased out by a lightening storm!

There are a lot of things to trip on. There is some scrambling involved in a few spots. I'm 5' 5" and me and my two dogs handled it... pretty well.

Caution : There are plenty of little water spots for dogs to try and drink from. One of my dogs got very sick about 6 hours later... And it lasted all the next day. I don't know if it was from the water or something on the ground.. Just be aware of your pooch!

I would love to try this again, when it isn't storming.

08/17/2018

Did this hike with my wife on Saturday morning around 930am. Should’ve left earlier because it got blistering hot on the way down. Also, asthma suffers beware! With the wildfire smoke so dense I’ve never felt my self literally gasping for air towards the top. I recommend if you are sensitive to this bad air right now, stay away. Other than that, lots of little lizards looking for bugs on the trail. Lots of bugs at the top. Can’t wait till the smoke clears so we can hike this one again and enjoy the views!

My family would tell you I am obsessed with this hike. Beautiful trail, flowers in early summer. Just enough alternation of elevation and then some levelling out to feel like a good bit of interval cardio. It does get more difficult towards the end, but oh so worth it. I tended to hike in the afternoon, so the temperatures were lovely, and shade was about 50/50. It took me 2 hours from the freeway to reach the peak. Views at the peak are gorgeous. Half of the view you can gaze over Salt Lake, the other half you can look over Emmigration and Wasatch canyons while feeling that you're miles from the city.

Heard the rattle near the top! Hike had pretty even elevation gains and was nicely shaded below, lots of exposure second half. Amazing 360 degree views from the top but the wildfire smoke was a lil damper. Started at 7am on a Friday and only saw a handful of people.

My first summit! Did this one back in 2012, but it was what would become the first of many loved climbs. :-)

Great views. Brought my Huskies with me.

This is a shot in the dark... my cell phone fell out of my backpack today . If someone stumbles upon an iphone 7 with a gold glitter case, a message will appear who to call once charged. Likely place it fell: towards the top of the map, there's a spot on the trail that takes a sharp right then turns left again making a Z. Instead of taking that sharp right I veered to the left into a sandy/rocky area for a bit before realizing I was off trail. We think it fell somewhere in there. As for my review... moderately strenuous hike with incredible views! (disappointed to have had to turn around early today!)

I just did this one this morning. The views at the top are amazing!

Loved it! The hike was certainly moderately inclined throughout. I don’t think any parts were steeper than any others. The trail was nice, soft dirt, but not loose dirt. Not a lot of rocks. The views as you climb get better and better. The peak is magnificent. 360 degree high-level views as far as your eye can see. The trail is mostly shaded in the beginning and much less so as you get nearer to the peak. No nearby water for refills, so bring plenty. We did this hike around noon Sunday and there were very few people on the trail. Highly recommend!

Great warm-up peak if you're planning some of the taller mountains in the area. Fairly steep early on, but becomes easier for a stretch until the final push to the top. Snow melts early too, so it's a great early season hike.

This hike had some pretty incredible views! The only thing that bothered me was how much exposure you get to the sun in some areas.. so I would suggest hiking this pretty early to avoid the heat. We didn’t see any wildlife.. but the views made up for that. We also managed to lose the trail in one area where there’s a sharp turn, but there’s also another trail going straight at the same point.. if you end up scrambling up sliding red rocks, you’re going the wrong way haha

This is my new favorite! Lots of tree cover on the bottom half, sweet earthy smells along the creek, absolutely stunning views. Did this as a solo hike, and there were just enough other people on the trail that it felt safe, but not crowded. Ample parking @ 7:30am. As others have indicated, do be aware of rattlesnakes, I saw two within feet of the trail. Also got to see a few lizards, and two unidentifiable large birds with unusual flight patterns, perched atop the tallest tree at the peak. I can’t wait to do this one again!

Great hike, especially the views. Lower half has more shade, upper half has better views. Didn't see a lot of wild flowers. There were plenty of hikers with dogs. Lots of lizards. Saw a spotted towhee and a female dusky grouse. Saw one rattlesnake at the very top. Lots of little lizards. Any spot where water crossed the trail was swarming with wasps/hornets on the way up, but we just walked through and they didn't bother us. They were gone by 8pm on our way back. Definitely park at the trailhead vice the the highway. Just enter the Church Fork Picnic Area and keep going by all the picnic spots until you can't go any further.

Beautiful hike!

This trail is perfect for someone seeking a moderate hike that still gives them the satisfaction of conquering a peak. It has lots of really pretty views, and you can see mount Olympus, as well as most of the salt lake valley from the top. For those who are looking to intensify their adventure, it also is very fun to run.

I'd give this 3 1/2 stars, but given no half stars it drops to a 3 for reasons to follow.

The hike is a good workout, and I extended it a bit by starting at Rattlesnake Gulch, then connecting over with a short 2-mile stretch of Pipeline. That alone gets it 2 stars.

The flowers were really nice when I did it on Friday, June 22nd, and that gives it another star, as does hiking next to water for a fair bit.

The drawbacks were that the views from the top are good, but not great. They're expansive, but not Alpine. Additionally, once on the upper ridge and on top then noise from some industrial operation down in the valley broke up the potential for serene appreciation.

I'd do this again, but there are so many hikes in the greater SLC area I wouldn't be rushing back...

Very pretty trail, but better done in the morning. The flies would not leave me alone and I was spooked by 3 rattlesnakes and a couple of smaller, probably harmless snakes.

Completed this hike on 6/16 late afternoon/evening. This was a difficult hike for the being rated moderate. The hike is more like 4 miles each way if you start from the road, which is what the signs say to do. Wide trail for the first mile or so, but gets quite narrow after that. Lots of beautiful wild flowers this weekend, which got better as you get closer to the peak. Tons of bugs the whole way. Lots of shade at the beginning of the hike, but less as you get farther up. We saw a snake a little ways from the peak. Not sure what kind it was, but it didn't look like a rattlesnake. Gorgeous panoramic view at the top, with views of the city and the surrounding mountains.

Moderate? Really? As I lay in bed with my broken body haha! It was very beautiful, and one hell of a hike. It being my first peak, it was quiet the work out and I really had to push myself. Lots of cute lizards and shade here and there. The views are amazing and the wild flowers were beautiful.