Grandaddy Lake via Grandview Trail

Grandaddy Lake via Grandview Trail is a 7.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Hanna, Utah that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until September. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,305 feet Route Type: Out & Back

From Heber City, take US Highway 40 east to SR 208 which is about 6 miles east of Fruitland. Head north on SR 208 for 10 miles to SR 35. Follow SR 35 northwest 10 miles to Hanna, From Hanna, follow a dirt road, Forest Road 144, 11 miles northwest to Hades Campground. Stay on the same road another 0.5 miles to a junction. Go right northeast about 5 steep miles to Grandview trailhead.

Trail head was not reachable by car due to snow. We had to park at the road gate, about 1.5 miles from the trail head. The trail itself had 3 to 6 inches of snow on most of it, but also many spots with 8 to 12 inches. We did not make it all the way to the lake because we forgot our gators and our feet got wet. Not enough snow yet for snow shoes on the rocky trails.

Heavily use, moderate trail, rocky and sandy in places. Yield to the horses! a great way to get into the Uintas for a multi day overnight trip

Beautiful area, and the numerous lakes are amazing. Sad that so many of the trees have been killed by the bark beetle. The trail is rocky, but very doable, and mostly not too steep. If you’re staying the night, don’t forget to look up! The stars and the Milky Way are breathtaking!

We hiked this trail as an easy two night trip. The first day, we hiked over the pass and into the basin. Once we got close to the lake, we bushwacked off trail to get far enough from the water to exit the campfire-restricted area. Then we set up camp and stayed two nights while day hiking fishing, and just enjoying the scenery. The basin is beautiful. My past experience with the Uintas was mostly high meadows, but this area is densely forested. The main trail was kind of crowded, but once we got off the primary path, we didn't see any other people, except across the lakes. Very nice trip, and close enough to the city to make it possible for a quick weekend get-away.

Say Hey to the Horses as they pass! Fun for all ages, had my 16/13/9 yr olds with me - very doable. First 1.5miles are chunky rocks and steep switchbacks - the next 2 miles are pretty flat, then a mile of downhill to the lake. Bugs were mild, deet was effective, wind was a gift. Camped on the East side of the lake and had the place to ourselves. It’s a big lake with lots of room to spread out. Beautiful scenery, still very green, tons of frogs and wild flowers.

The hike up was great. I've been hardcore in the past but I'm 40 now and backpacking trips are getting less frequent. This hike wasn't too short yet long enough to be enjoyable. I brought my wife too for her first backpacking in her life! I won't say how old she is but she liked it and is looking forward to a day hike tomorrow without a backpack on her back.

This was a gorgeous hike. Very enjoyable. Pretty steep the first mile and a half then it's down hill. It's a really rocky trail so wear your hiking boots. I made the mistake of wearing trail runners and my feet were very sore. Mosquitoes at some times were pretty voracious; deet spray and a mesh head cover highly recommended. Follow the 200 feet from lakes no camping rule; Rangers enforce it and at times they seemed, in a nicer way, as numerous as the mosquitoes.

Rained on us for most of the hike and the mosquitos are unbearable. Not a very enjoyable outing.

We camped on the north end of Betsy Lake the first night, the mosquitoes were so bad you couldn't get out of your tent without being fully covered and face net. Second night we camped about 1/4 mile west of Grandaddy and that was much better. A few bugs that could be manage with some spray. The hike and weather were perfect. If you go I would advice not to camp anywhere near water. Fishing was great as well.

Trail was dry and the hike was beautiful. Mosquitoes were nearly unbearable without deet bug repellent and a face net. We heard some large trees fall late at night near where we camped which was a bit unnerving. The fishing was excellent.

Sunny and warm the first day/night, bugs were almost not noticeable. It was overcast with lots of mosquitos the following morning and rained on us on the way out. There was no snow along the trail but muddy at spots—easily avoidable. Great hike!

a little muddy but was a good little hike. took my kids all the way up with no problems.

This trail is probably 4 weeks away from being completely open. The western side was generally snow free. Where there was snow it was easily avoided. The eastern slope was a completely different story. In the morning it was walkable but by mid day it was slushy. The northern end of granddaddy had ice on it. Surprisingly the ice didn’t slow the frogs down as they were in full concert. It was beautiful in an early spring sort of way. If you go I advise good boots and a change of socks. It’s a bit sloppy up there.

Wed Sep 12 2018

Really beautiful trail. If you’re planning on heading there this weekend, please keep an eye out for my dog, Maggie. She has been lost since 9/2/18 at Mohawk lake but is hopefully somewhere close by Granddaddy lake by now. She is a 60 lb black and white lab mix.

Mon Aug 27 2018

As others have said...nice easy trek. Made a loop from Grandaddy/Betsy/Marsell/Mohawk and back to Granddaddy. Nice easy trail but the fishing was terrible. Not quite sure if it was just bad timing on my end. Because of the lack of difficulty, this is a busy and well used basin, yet large enough that you can find solace if you just walk a bit further. Great place to cut your teeth if you are new to backpacking or if you are taking a rookie along.

Sun Aug 26 2018

The hike from the Grandview Trailhead to Mohawk Lake (where we camped) is a relatively easy trail for backpacking. Not a lot of incline. I suppose timing is everything—we did this on the weekend before Labor Day. Most families (kids) were back in school and likely waiting for Labor Day weekend for their next excursions. We saw five people on the way into Mohawk Lake and we saw around 20 people on our way out—mostly at Hades Pass. No mosquitos. Beautiful weather. Perfect little get away.

Sun Jul 29 2018

My son and I loved Grandaddy Lake! This was my son’s first overnight backpacking trip and it did not disappoint. The hike up was challenging for him, but he’s only 9, so there was a little complaining; however he did great on the way back. We fished a little and didn’t get any bites. Our only regret was not staying one more day to explore the area.

Fri Jul 13 2018

A lot of mosquitos. After being there for an evening and night I have over 20 bites and I used bug spray plus a bug net around my head.

Mon Jul 09 2018

This was a great trail. I'm 62 and, although I do a couple of 8-12-mile day hikes a year, I haven't carried a full pack for an overnight stay in 12 years. To my delight, I was able to do this trail with no trouble. Yes, the first mile is vigorously uphill, but it wasn't bad. And once past that point, it's just miles of the reasonably easy mountain up and down I'm used to. The environment and views are outstanding. The fishing is splendid but the catching is no better or worse than anywhere else. Be prepared for mosquitoes, however, and I mean bring the big guns or full-coverage nets. 100% DEET kept them from biting, but they swarmed and hovered within inches of treated skin by the score whenever I wasn't moving.

Mon Apr 09 2018

We decided to hike this one last year. It was the first hike I’ve done on the south slope. It sure seemed like a never ending uphill. The fishing wasn’t very good at Betsy or Mohawk. It appeared to me that this trail gets a lot of traffic. We had a group of annoying kids yelling across the lakes the whole time which was definitely a major annoyance. Overall this hike was ok and so I wouldn’t do it again. The drive up to the trailhead is pretty cool though. You drive right along the edge of this huge mountain and keep going up and up and up.