Grandaddy Lake Trail

Grandaddy Lake Trail is a 6.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Hanna, Utah that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until September. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

fly fishing

From Heber City, take US Highway 40 east to SR 208 which is about 6 miles east of Fruitland. Head north on SR 208 for 10 miles to SR 35. Follow SR 35 northwest 10 miles to Hanna, From Hanna, follow a dirt road, Forest Road 144, 11 miles northwest to Hades Campground. Stay on the same road another 0.5 miles to a junction. Go right northeast about 5 steep miles to Grandview trailhead.

Fantastic place to backpack. Beautiful vistas, red butted, and lots of fish. My son and I were there 3 days. We had quite an adventure. While exploring we found someone's y2k bug out cache complete with a boat and oars. Was fun as always. The mosquitoes were few. The uintas didn't disappoint. 4 stars because of all the people camping next to the lake and having fires... Where is the Ranger when you need him.

Hard first mile uphill climb. Then drop in towards lake. You have to earn your lake visit. Good trail. Clean and beautiful views.

Was a very pretty hike. My 10 yr old daughter and I made it up to the lakes areas and she was in awe most of the way. There were several areas where the rocks were a little much. My daughter nearly rolled her ankles on the loose stones several times going up and on the way back. There were a lot of dogs, but we didn't see a single one that was a problem, most of the owners were really good to keep them near and clean up after them. All in all it was great daddy daughter date.

Hiked in for 4 days with my wife and kids. (14 year old daughter and 13 year old son). What a great family vacation, we hiked over 25 miles. We lucked out and never got rained on once. We were prepared but it was nice not having to pull out the rain gear. Beautiful scenery, lakes, ponds and streams all over the place. We can't wait to go back.

best hike this year

Did a day hike on 7/13/17 and explored grandaddy, Betsy, Mohawk and fish hatchery lake. Grandaddy Basin is one of my favorite places in the High Uintas to explore. There are a ton of places to go off and explore and hike. This time of year the mosquitos are horrible. When we got up to fish hatchery lake we had planned to stop and eat lunch but the bugs were so bad we were forced to leave and eat somewhere else. Later in the year this place is perfect tho. After you get up over Hades Pass it’s pretty easy going for the most part.

Only 3 stars because the 6-mile road to access the trailhead is currently closed until possibly mid-June (as per a posted sign), so we didn't get all the way to the trailhead. The road is a pretty hike by itself though, but makes for a long day if you go all the way to the Lake and back!

Great hike for a quick and not too strenuous adventure. We left earlier in the week (Wednesday) and it was fairly quiet...passed a few hikers. By Friday it was like a scout camp up there. Fishing was very poor except for power bait (but I'm kind of a fishing snob and power bait isn't fishing unless you're 5 learning how). Plus it's really over fished. It seems to be a popular place to hike with dogs ...I took mine and she loved it. The down side was a lot of barking at night. It was easily one of the most beautiful places I've been though and will go back. Next time I'll hike thru the basin over to mirror lake instead of stopping at Betsy. I'm also going to take my three girls on a daddy daughter trip...it's perfect for that

Also we went in early August and didn't kill a single mosquito...lucky I guess

Monday, August 15, 2016

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Fun hike and beautiful lake. Plenty of places to set up camp and lots of springs to get water. Did a 3 day trip. Brought the dog and she loved it. It is a moderate hike with a heavy pack. Probably more on the easy side if you are just doing a day trip. Fishing was good. Please take care of fish and do as much catch as release fishing as you can. It is a natural reproducing lake and we want to keep the fish population healthy.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Great trail to the high mountain lakes. Still had some patches of snow to hike across in mid-June. Weather was perfect but have some water resistant shoes. We will definitely do this hike again.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

bugs are scarry. millions of mosquitos. took a 6 year old and 8 year old. very pretty, stayed at Mohawk 1st night across the lake was a group of 20ish year old drunks... almost left in the middle of the night from the noise th hey were making. but stayed and sought revenge at out 6 am morning hike out... singing right next to their camp just off the trail. revenge is sweet. we hiked to pine island caught some big fish then went to secret lake and to lodgepole lake where we made camp 2. woke up early and hiked out... the wrong way around the lake.. there is not a very good trail on the south side of the lake. saw loads of elk sign. we heard them moving around early in the morning but didn't see any. great hike... but the bugs were horrible. wife has chicken pox looking legs and arms now... 100% deet did nothing.