Gooseberry Trail

Gooseberry Trail is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Moab, Utah that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 4.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,548 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Island in the Sky Visitor Center: Drive 6.25 miles southward on the Main Island Road. At the junction of Upheaval Dome/Grand View Roads bear left toward Grand View Point. Continue traveling five miles, past the Buck Canyon Overlook, to the Grand View Point Picnic Area.

Amazing hike! The descent is very fun! Getting back up to the trailhead is super strenuous, ~1400ft elevation gain. I did this solo, only saw 3 other people. The hike is closer to 5.5mi. Took me almost 3 hours exactly including the time I took to stop a take pictures/rest. Started around 10am finished around 1pm when it was 90 deg. Would not recommend going in the afternoon if it’s hot, the heat was intense.

Good hike! Very strenuous on the way back up the cliff side. Need to be sure footed in both directions

Oof, what a hike! It’s a steep and long descent (and then ascent) but dang, it’s worth it. You hike from the rim of a canyon down to another rim of a canyon! The views are outstanding the entire way. The significant climb is very well marked with cairns but returning up through the wash lead to a somehow walking up the wrong wash for a bit (the cairns are there, I guess I just wasn’t looking). We didn’t see anyone on the trail all day, and it took us a little under 5 hours with a lot of stopping on the way up. Bring a ton of water and sunscreen, there is very little shade once the sun hits the canyon wall.

Loved this hike, but found it hard going in the summer heat. Took us about 5 hours all up (including about an hour at the white rim and a couple of wrong turns). If you’re walking during the day in heat make sure you take enough water - we went through a lot more than we usually would as there’s practically no shade once you hit the wash.

Great hike and incredible views. Very steep so start out early and bring lots of water. We had some difficulties finding the first part of the trail but keep left over the first flat rock and then look for the stapled stone piles to guide the way.

One of the most rewarding hikes I've completed. It's most definitely "Hard". Take plenty of water, be mindful of the loose rocks in some spots, and enjoy. Straight down, short walk to the edge of a canyon through a sandwash and then straight back up. Very little shade so be sure to hike it early or later in the day during summer days and plan for minimum of 3 hours (unless you are an ultra runner).

I loved this trail! Obviously it is strenuous but the views are worth it (a park ranger had told me it was "uninteresting," and I'm glad I didn't listen to her). The trail is pretty exposed to sun except when you are first descending. Hiked in late march with perfect temperatures and breeze. took 2.5 hours total, with some meandering around the white rim at the bottom. Do this if you like to do hard things and look back at what you accomplish.

Great hike. Did it not long after sunrise, had a quick lunch at the bottom and took our time going back.

Sunday, August 19, 2018

Beautiful view hiking down. Loose and slippery rocks made for a slower decent but well worth it

Monday, April 30, 2018

This hike will test your endurance! Most of the elevation is in the first mile. Although a shorter hike (distance), make sure to bring enough water. It is fully exposed in the afternoon, and with the hot sun and the return ascent back up, we drank much more water than we usually would on a hike that short of a distance.

Friday, April 27, 2018

I really enjoyed this trail. But it is not for the faint of heart. The mileage shown here is inaccurate, probably due to the extremely tight switchbacks going down the canyon. The NPS map says 5.4 round trip. The majority of the elevation gain/decrease is in the first 1.3 miles of the trip. I don’t love hiking down as my knees aren’t the best. But the view as you hike down is unbelievable. It actually took us longer to hike down than up due to the fact that we stopped for photos and were cautious about the terrain. Once down, the wash was enjoyable and mellow. It took us an hour and 20 to get down. An hour going down the canyon and 20 in the wash. We got back out in an hour total. 20 in the wash and 37 minutes hiking up the canyon. I was surprised at how fast we made it up given how long it took to get down. But it was strenuous. And at the end we had the greatest sense of accomplishment.

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

This is an awesome trail down the side of a canyon (1400 feet in I believe less than a mile). The walk down the wash to the White Rim was a really nice break before the trek back up. Moving time was around 2 hours, including taking pictures and looking around the rim. Poles recommended.

Thursday, December 28, 2017

Great, fun, and short canyon hike. Little bit of scramble when leaving the canyon but its a fun one! Views at the bottom around the white rim make the walk through the wash worth it!

Monday, November 27, 2017

Great hike down, lots of scrambling on the way up (fun fun fun!). The wash was fairly unremarkable as far as washes go, but getting to the white rim was cool. There were a few mountain bikers and cars on the white rim, so it was neat to see "the other side" of an adventure. I took some time to walk around the white rim. Wish I would have planned better - I could have gone down one trail, walked the white rim, then walked up a different trail. Something to think about for my next trip out. Started at 730am, and with stops, walk on rim, and sun salutations, I still made it up by 10:30...which was a little shocking to me.

Monday, October 09, 2017

Excellent trail, highly recommended. I got up and down in 3:50, with a 20 minutes stop at the bottom (so 3:30 walking time) and I am fit but no superstar. Excellent views and a great place to stop for lunch. Great to see IitS from a different vantage point. Very peaceful and with lots of solitude. Only saw 2 other groups on the hike. As the other reviews mention this is a challenging hike. The bigger challenge is consistently putting your feet into good positions as slipping could be fatal. I could have gone faster, but rushing isn't a good idea. Make sure you were sturdy boots with rubber soles. I wouldn't even think about doing this on a day when it has rained or could rain. I would recommend not taking anyone who is 'on the fence' about going. If a lot of exertion and hiking steep trails is your thing you'll enjoy this - a more casual hiker on vacation might not. I wouldn't recommend it for children at all. In terms of exposure, I didn't feel that exposed for a lot of the hike but was acutely aware a big tumble could end in serious injury or could be fatal so took my time, and would recommend anyone do the same.

Friday, July 28, 2017

Very challenging hike, the steepest in Canyonlands. I did this after a rare rainstorm and there was a lot of rock scree on the trail, so had to be extra careful with foot placements. If you're in good shape, sub 4 hrs is very do-able.

Friday, June 16, 2017

WOW! This kicked our butt! We are in our late 50's and hike a lot. Completing this gave us that exhausted satisfied feeling! The trail is loose, but well maintained. You really need to be observant as you make your way down. Some places are just dirt, and you can slide very easily. The views as you make your way down are breathtaking....so is the hikeback...lol! Coming back was challenging. The 90+ degree heat made it more exhausting. We started out about 8, the heat comes early in the Summer. We finished and sat in the car for about 20 minutes, thinking"Wow Babyboomers Rock". Saw another older couple killing it too! Do this hike!

Sunday, June 04, 2017

Awesome hike! The trek down is no joke and very steep but the views are spectacular and you feel accomplished hiking out

Sunday, May 07, 2017

Loved this trail. You are climbing down a cliff, so the way back up will definitely test your endurance! Quite a work out. Trail is in great shape and the views are awesome when you get down to the White Rim