Golden Wall Trail

Golden Wall Trail is a 4.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Panguitch, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from April until November.

Park at the Red Canyon Visitor's center, then cross Highway 12 to begin your trip on the Red Canyon Bicycle Trail. Head west on the Red Canyon Bicycle Trail, then turn left when you get to the Golden Wall Trail after about 0.2 miles. The trail comes to a fork again after about 0.9 miles, where the western route stays along the Golden Wall trail, but the eastern route takes you along the slightly more challenging, yet scenic Castle Bridge section, which links back up to the Golden Wall Trail. You'll continue along until you link up with the Buckhorn Trail, taking you to the Red Canyon Campground. From there, you'll link back up with the Red Canyon Bicycle trail and cross Highway 12 again to return to the visitor's center.

It was an absolutely breathtaking hike. Just as you think it can’t get any better, you turn the corner and see another valley with more red formations.

If you have a chance, do this hike. The scenery is spectacular. I did it on a cold November morning, and saw absolutely no one else.

I did the loop clockwise, parking at the Red Canyon Visitor Center (closed right now), crossing Hwy 12, and walking down to the Red Canyon Campground on the bike path. I will say that without the AllTrails app, I might have had some trouble finding the trailhead inside the campground. This route got the boring parts of the hike out of the way first.

Once you hit the main part of the trail, it's great. A fair amount of up and down in terms of elevation gain. There are parts of the trail that have been affected by washouts/slides, but maybe someone has cleaned things up, because it was very easy to navigate. I was never in doubt for more than 10 seconds as to where to go to stay on the trail. The Buckhorn trail is a quarter mile spur up to an awesome high point. You might feel a little exposed on that part of the trail, but it's not dangerous. I took the Castle Bridge trail option on the way down. In fact, I didn't even see where the other option was, but the way I went was excellent. The trail ends on Hwy 12 again, maybe 50 yards before the Visitor Center.

Great views. Scenary is similar to what you would see at Bryce but on a much smaller scale. Trail was in fair condition as we encountered many rock slide areas. Fortunately it hadn't rained in a while so trail was dry.

Trail is lightly used. During our ~ 3 hour hike we didn't see another person until we got back to the parking lot. Trail is fine for adults or teenagers, but it wouldn't be good for young children as trail is narrow with many rocky slide off areas.

If you're looking for a leisurely hike with great scenary and few people, this hike is for you.

Skip Bryce NP (too crowded) and do this hike. Amazing views. Some challenging areas which make it more fun

Awesome trail! Breathtaking views throughout and hoodoos abounding! Should be pretty steady on narrow exposed hillside trails

This should definitely be rated as difficult. I just tried it yesterday and much of the trail is washed out. It is very tricky to find the trail as it is not well marked and gets washed out in several places. Go slow and look up not down to make sure you stay following the trail rather than a runoff. Amazing geology and colors. No one on the trail at all when I took it. Definitely take the castle bridge loop to the east. Amazing views.

amazing trail. we did it twice during our 4 days in Bryce. didn't see a single person on either hikes. some sections have loose rocks and soil so be careful. I ended up slipping and falling down the hill on the decent into the camp ground at the end of the hike so be careful. I liked it more than the fairytail loop. Somewhere in the middle you will see a rock balencing on a thin tendril of stone that seems to defy gravity. It amazed me more than anything I saw in Bryce canyon.

loved this hike. brought my two dogs and so it took us quite awhile but we stopped and took breaks when we found shade. the views were breathtaking and almost dr seuss out of this world like.

great first hike when we came into the area last week! met no one else on entire trail ! solitude n beauty

Friday, December 29, 2017

most of the trail is under snow right now. we still ventured out a mile or so before the snow got deeper and sketchier. the view was still fantastic though. definitely want to come back when the trail is clear.

Friday, September 29, 2017

Nice trail with many beautiful views I will say one thing though that is worth noting. There is a part of the trail that says "Castle Bridge" I ran into several people myself Included that were confused about what "castle bridge" was and where it was located I was expecting it to be a flat top arch or a bridge arch but it's not, it's just a big dip In a wall of rocks, there is no arch or anything like that so hopefully this may help someone in he future.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Beautiful views that don't stop. I highly recommend this trail. One of the most amazing in the area.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

This is a moderate hike with amazing views and a small arch. DId it in end of June and thankfully there was some cloud cover,a cooler day in full sun would be best for pictures.This is about 5 miles and was fairly easy even after the previous days 21 mile hike. This trail is worth doing!

Friday, December 22, 2017