Gobblers Knob via Alexander Basin Trail is a 4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Please note Mill Creek Canyon closes every winter to allow for groomed cross country ski opportunities. Mill Creek Canyon is closed from Maple Grove Picnic area to the top of the canyon. Gate is closed until July 1st, 2018. Trail can still be accessed, but you will need to walk from the road closure to the trailhead.

Great hike! Not for those wanting an easy walk. The scenery changes as the summer progresses. I have Verizon as my cell carrier and get service right before hitting the saddle of the basin. Love that because I can share pictures at that moment. I wear microspikes and take hiking sticks every time.

One of the best hikes in all of the wasatch! Certainly challenging but worth every second of it!

Up to the trail split is very steep and loose. Not fun

This is a challenging trail with a steep climb. My poor knees were not happy but it’s definitely worth a try.

For me and my friends, this hike was the complete opposite of pure misery, but instead pure joy! Very scenic route up to the top, and WOW, what a great view at the very top. Yes you might feel a little tired going up if you aren't in shape, but that's just a given. Would do this hike again any day.

I hiked this today with the dog. She took it like a champ, but after hitting the saddle was pretty beat, so we turned around.

It’s definitely steep (60% grade near the top) and a bit loose underfoot. I wished I’d brought my poles to save my knees a bit on the way down.

There’s no water I found on the way up, so bring plenty for your four-legged friends.

It took us about 1.5 hours to get up to the saddle, and about an hour to get back down to the car.

The views up on the saddle are fantastic, temps are still nice, and I had no insects pestering me. Overall, a jolly stroll.

amazing views! very steep and will kick your butt! the only thing that would make it better is a nice creek.

I’d truly say 3.5 but not an option. Once the trail gets technical (trail vs rock slide) there are no cairns! I figured it out after looking at the trail for a few minutes but contemplated just scaling the mountainside like an idiot biker.

I was at 2.8 miles by the time I got to the top, when I hit 2 miles I hadn’t wandered off trail so the 4 mile out-back range is wrong. I did hit up Raymond so I can’t give an accurate mileage report for you.

The bees, gnats, flies, and ladybugs (they were biting too) were outta control up top but still worth the scramble.

Short but sweet! Great views! Still need to tackle Raymond! … :-)

I don’t mean to be a kill joy, but this was pure misery coming back down. I’m all for a challenge climbing up a steep incline, but I fell 3 or 4 times on the way down because of the rocks constantly sliding under foot. It took hours of inching myself down and I was very very done by the time I got back. Am I doing something wrong? I am wearing hiking shoes. Sorry to be a crybaby, but just a warning if that doesn’t sound fun to you. The views ARE magnificent. It’s just hard to enjoy the hike when your eyes are glued to your feet the whole time.

Early 30’s; home regularly and this one kicked my butt. VERY steep. Beautiful the whole time and very rewarding.

Dogs are allowed on odd numbered days

Hiked this today and this hike was definitely a challenge... it didn’t waste anytime making you climb 3,000 feet. Once you get out of the dense canopy/trees, you have awesome views of the mountains down below. Once you get to the basin, there’s a ton of pretty wildflowers. The view from the top made it well worth it-360 view of everything down below. Would recommend for average-above average hikers.

Omg, this trail was very challenging in places and incredibly beautiful! Lots of wild flowers and cute little bees pollinating. Plenty of shade in certain areas, and once you make it to the top, the view was epic! I will definitely be doing this one again. Make sure to bring lots of water. We weren’t planning to do such an intense hike today and so didn’t plan appropriately and ran out of water at the top. Had to make it all the way back down with no water . Thank god for the shade! Very steep in places, but so rewarding!

Very steep. Great views the whole hike and amazing wildflowers.

Excellent! Beautiful!!

Steep! Worth it.

buttkicker

Went on this hike yesterday and it was AWESOME !
Its steep and it gets steeper till the end but you get to see some amazing views. You also get to witness the beauty of the big cottonwood canyon on your left when you are close to the summit.
Was a challenge but worth it ! ⛰

Great hike, enjoyed the views all around.

Grasses and flowers higher than your knees. The first part and the last part are steep. Nice work out.

Gate closed till 01Jul

The gate is closed to part of the canyon so you have an extra 3 mile walk up a snowy road to get to the trailhead. there are still several feet of snow on the trail itself so I highly recommend snowshoes.

Had my first encounter with a black bear on this trail!

Thursday, October 26, 2017

Lovely hike as always. The gate is now closed, so I biked up the 3 miles to the trailhead. The trail was pretty clear up to the steeper climbs through the meadows, then icy but manageable. I was out of time and so turned around before the final climb - it was snowcovered and probably would have been difficult with the ice.

Friday, October 13, 2017

Hiked this morning and couldn't quite summit due to dangerous ice on the last part of the trail. If I had some trekkers I would have done it. Came across a moose! I would love to go back in the summer. It's a little late in the year for this one as it is in the shade most of the morning. It was very steep much of the way. Definitely a difficult hike but I can tell the views would have been worth it about 2 week ago.

Thursday, October 05, 2017

Steep! Awesome kick butt workout!

Wednesday, October 04, 2017

This was a doozy. 6-8” of snow on the upper third of the hike and no clear trail. Took me 2 hours up and just over 1 to get down. Views are beautiful. Fall color is visible in the lower valleys. Worth the work.

Saturday, September 30, 2017

One of my favorites, took für pass back down... had to bush whack, since this trail is not used often. So beautiful though, and way easier on the knees. Ran into a moose!

Friday, September 15, 2017

difficult but great views at the top. get ready for some steep climbs. we went when the wildflowers were out of bloom but could tell how beautiful it would have been!