Gobblers Knob via Alexander Basin Trail

Gobblers Knob via Alexander Basin Trail is a 4.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and cross country skiing and is best used from May until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Salt Lake City: Follow Mill Creek Canyon Road (3800 South Wasatch Blvd.) 7.8 miles up the canyon. Go past Elbow Fork and below Thousand Springs.

Hike risk, high reward. Hands down one of my favorite hikes in all of Utah! It's tough, but the wildflower, forests, and views are beyond worth it!

Amazing experience

Short but steep for a hike, not lightly travelled but wildflowers were beautiful and views from the summit were spectacular. Mr. Bull Moose delayed my departure for a bit, had to bushwhack around him.

5 stars for the view--3 stars for the crazy amount of work to get that view :)

One of the most physically strenuous hikes I've ever done due to the rapid ascent. It was a 4.5 mile hike, but felt like a 10 mile one. Legs were jello at the end.

The wildflowers were generally out in force, although the cone flowers were spent for the season. There were sections with shoulder high flower stalks!

The view from Gobbler's Knob is great--you get a good view of Salt Lake, and Big Cottonwood Canyon, AND Millcreek Canyon.

I did manage to get off-trail though. There's a section where you need to cross a rock fall. For some reason I decided to go up the fall ... that added an extra 45 minutes, and it was exhausting. I found the "right" trail coming back down. I deserve a merit badge for my stupidity, or something, for that one.

Also a heap of blessings upon a pair of hikers that shared a bag of frozen grapes with me--the most delicious trail snack ever!

The wildflowers are incredible.

Mostly uphill and rocky, views are incredible, well worth every second. Watch for moose though, a large bull had bedded down on the trail so we had to bypass him via some pines.

this is an amazing hike I found it difficult went straight up the basin trail this morning and walked to baker pass and followed bowman fork back to the main trail down. this fork is much easier than the main trail but is extremely over grown, making it hard to navigate at times. but overall this is by far one of the best and the hardest hikes I have ever been on. looking forward to doing it again some time

This is one of the best hikes in the Wasatch. It's very strenuous but it pays off at the top. The views are incredible.

I've hiked this four times in the past and I've seen a moose every time.

Gorgeous views from Alexander Basin! There's still a snowfield on the last climb to the peak and I didn't want to try and make it past by myself, especially given how steep it was and how I didn't tell anyone where I was going :) I'll definitely be back later in the summer!

this trail was so beautiful. we are definitely going back. its steep, but as long as you keep a decent pace you'll do just fine. worth going to the top.