Gobblers Knob via Alexander Basin Trail

Gobblers Knob via Alexander Basin Trail is a 4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and cross country skiing and is best used from May until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Please note Mill Creek Canyon closes every winter to allow for groomed cross country ski opportunities. Mill Creek Canyon is closed from Maple Grove Picnic area to the top of the canyon. Gate is closed until July 1st, 2018. Trail can still be accessed, but you will need to walk from the road closure to the trailhead.

amazing views! very steep and will kick your butt! the only thing that would make it better is a nice creek.

I’d truly say 3.5 but not an option. Once the trail gets technical (trail vs rock slide) there are no cairns! I figured it out after looking at the trail for a few minutes but contemplated just scaling the mountainside like an idiot biker.

I was at 2.8 miles by the time I got to the top, when I hit 2 miles I hadn’t wandered off trail so the 4 mile out-back range is wrong. I did hit up Raymond so I can’t give an accurate mileage report for you.

The bees, gnats, flies, and ladybugs (they were biting too) were outta control up top but still worth the scramble.

Short but sweet! Great views! Still need to tackle Raymond! … :-)

I don’t mean to be a kill joy, but this was pure misery coming back down. I’m all for a challenge climbing up a steep incline, but I fell 3 or 4 times on the way down because of the rocks constantly sliding under foot. It took hours of inching myself down and I was very very done by the time I got back. Am I doing something wrong? I am wearing hiking shoes. Sorry to be a crybaby, but just a warning if that doesn’t sound fun to you. The views ARE magnificent. It’s just hard to enjoy the hike when your eyes are glued to your feet the whole time.

Early 30’s; home regularly and this one kicked my butt. VERY steep. Beautiful the whole time and very rewarding.

Dogs are allowed on odd numbered days

Hiked this today and this hike was definitely a challenge... it didn’t waste anytime making you climb 3,000 feet. Once you get out of the dense canopy/trees, you have awesome views of the mountains down below. Once you get to the basin, there’s a ton of pretty wildflowers. The view from the top made it well worth it-360 view of everything down below. Would recommend for average-above average hikers.

Omg, this trail was very challenging in places and incredibly beautiful! Lots of wild flowers and cute little bees pollinating. Plenty of shade in certain areas, and once you make it to the top, the view was epic! I will definitely be doing this one again. Make sure to bring lots of water. We weren’t planning to do such an intense hike today and so didn’t plan appropriately and ran out of water at the top. Had to make it all the way back down with no water . Thank god for the shade! Very steep in places, but so rewarding!

Very steep. Great views the whole hike and amazing wildflowers.

Excellent! Beautiful!!

Steep! Worth it.

buttkicker

Went on this hike yesterday and it was AWESOME !
Its steep and it gets steeper till the end but you get to see some amazing views. You also get to witness the beauty of the big cottonwood canyon on your left when you are close to the summit.
Was a challenge but worth it ! ⛰

Great hike, enjoyed the views all around.

Grasses and flowers higher than your knees. The first part and the last part are steep. Nice work out.

Gate closed till 01Jul

The gate is closed to part of the canyon so you have an extra 3 mile walk up a snowy road to get to the trailhead. there are still several feet of snow on the trail itself so I highly recommend snowshoes.

Had my first encounter with a black bear on this trail!

Lovely hike as always. The gate is now closed, so I biked up the 3 miles to the trailhead. The trail was pretty clear up to the steeper climbs through the meadows, then icy but manageable. I was out of time and so turned around before the final climb - it was snowcovered and probably would have been difficult with the ice.

Hiked this morning and couldn't quite summit due to dangerous ice on the last part of the trail. If I had some trekkers I would have done it. Came across a moose! I would love to go back in the summer. It's a little late in the year for this one as it is in the shade most of the morning. It was very steep much of the way. Definitely a difficult hike but I can tell the views would have been worth it about 2 week ago.

Steep! Awesome kick butt workout!

This was a doozy. 6-8” of snow on the upper third of the hike and no clear trail. Took me 2 hours up and just over 1 to get down. Views are beautiful. Fall color is visible in the lower valleys. Worth the work.

One of my favorites, took für pass back down... had to bush whack, since this trail is not used often. So beautiful though, and way easier on the knees. Ran into a moose!

difficult but great views at the top. get ready for some steep climbs. we went when the wildflowers were out of bloom but could tell how beautiful it would have been!

Get the hiking boots or shoes ready! Steeeeeeeep trail, aggressive grade pretty much all the way to the top. It flattens out a bunch of times throughout the hike, only to get you ready to go up. The hike up is challenging, and most likely you will be staring at the ground. But the top and the way down is well worth it. The views while hiking down make it seem like a different trail! Have fun! Bring water!

LOVED this hike. It is verrrrry steep though. The first mile feels like 271921 miles but it is so so worth it once you get to the top. The only thing was that there was no running water for the dogs. Wear good shoes and bring lots of water!

The trail was great! The first two miles do feel more like 10, but totally worth it one you are at the top! If you track your trip on the app you will see that the miles take forever to complete. We Took short breaks as needed. We packed lunch and had it atop the mountain! We would definitely do it again earlier in the day. The way down was a lot quicker, we did it in about 3.5 hours total

Definitely difficult but gorgeous and well worth it when you get to the view at the top.

Took my pup and he loved every second of it. Saw a nice bull moose on the way down.. luckily some people coming up scared him off.

Also! It may be helpful to know, as I almost went up the wrong way, when you get to the giant rock field and start preparing yourself to climb it, look to your left and there's a big boulder, the trail is right next to that :)

You gotta work for it but the views are spectacular! Took the dog and had a great time!

thought I did 7 miles but I guess that's from bowman fork.