Geertson & Shupe Canyon Trail

Geertson & Shupe Canyon Trail is a 11.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Huntsville, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and birding and is best used from April until December.

Primitive trail climbing Geertsen canyon with a great view of Pineview Reservoir, and then turning east through Shupe canyon. Connects with Middle Fork Canyon for the return trip of the loop. Area is closed from December to the second Saturday in April. Trail starts through grassy meadows where you can see various wildlife and livestock. Once it crosses Powerline Trail, your path quickly becomes primitive as you make your way up Geertsen and into Shupe. This hike is very difficult but provides fantastic views of the entire valley.

Hiked this trail at the end of May. The first 40% or so is along Powerline Trail, which (unsurprisingly) runs parallel to some big ol' powerlines. If you can get over that, it's actually a very pretty hike along a stream and in a valley. Second half is crazy beautiful, with many opportunities for views on mountaintops.

It was a beautiful time to go, there were so many blooming mountain flowers with butterflies everywhere that you go. Downside is that the snowmelt causes all the streams to be real swole, so be prepared for stream crossings with icy-cold water. At one point you have to cross ~15 ft of stream that's moving real fast and is at least 1.5 ft deep all across; we dragged a few fallen trees to we could climb across.
There were no trail markers at any point during the hike (even at the trailhead). Much of the hike up into the mountains is way overgrown, so be prepared for some snags. Worse than that is that it up and disappears multiple times during the last 5 or so miles, we ended trespassing on some farmland for a bit while we made our way back.

If you're looking for a map, don't purchase one online, the trails don't appear on the official Uinta maps. If you go to the Ranger's Office in Ogden, they have a free hiking one with the relevant trails marked. (Powerline, Shupe Canyon, Geertson Canyon).

I hiked this trail on Star Wars day (May 4th). It was a challenging hike with a lot of incline at first. Due to the spring weather it was very tough to follow the trail on the shady side because of all the snow that was still there. There was a lot of fallen trees and shrubs that blocked the trail on the backside but it wasn't too hard to follow once I got past the snow. Overall it was a good hike! I didn't see anyone else on trail.

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Challenging hike with steady incline and rough overgrown trail in sections but well worth the hike. Plan on a few hours if your going to the top. I didn't see one other person on the trail. Hiked the canyon sept 21 very Pretty and great views

Monday, April 20, 2015

Only hiked this trail a little bit today and did not make it up to my favorite part in the canyon. Last year we had come across a den of foxes and upon inspection the den had been abandoned. However, a new den was about 100 yards away and we heard movement as we passed by.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

One of my favorite canyons - abundant wildflowers, some cool old trees, and interesting rock formations. Bring plenty of water and long pants since you will lose the trail at various points during the hike. I haven't made it into the Shupe Canyon sectionyet, but am planning to get out there soon and will mark it as completed once I finish the hike.