Garner Cave Trail

Garner Cave Trail is a 1.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ogden, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

cave

Garner Cave is a rather heavily visited cave since it's close to the city. The cave has been visited by lots of people. There are a few spots that you could hurt yourself in there, but it's a pretty simple system for the most part.

Not really a hike for beginners. There are quite a few slick slopes so bring decent footwear. We didn't make it too the top but there were still very pretty views and we enjoyed it overall.

the trail can be a little hard to follow but we used the GPS on the app and got there just fine. The ropes are looking a little rough, be cautious.

A little difficult to find the trail splits off in many directions if we didn't have this app I doubt we'd ever of found it! But if you're persistent and looking for an adventure this is your hike. it's not for beginners and bring lots of water it's gets very steep and tiring.

Although the area is beautiful, it was basically impossible to follow the trail because of overgrowth. If you're going I'd recommend taking someone who is really familiar with the trail. I tried to follow gps and still never found the cave because of poor signal. It was a steep and dangerous hike without the trail. The views were beautiful though.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

This cave is pretty awesome and really does exist. I was kind of sceptical at first after reading all of these comments that people were unable to find it. Its really there! We got lost at first and missed an important dirt trail in the beginning which lead us to a lot of huge rocks that were unnecessary to even climb. But on the plus side we did find some other cool caves. After being lost for a while we eventually found the trail and it was easy to make if to the cave. I highly recommend bringing some gloves cause the cave is full of rat droppings. It also smells horrible in there. But its so worth it!! The view is amazing!! I just hate how people (Probably teenagers) tagged some rocks up and then there's so much trash from lazy people. Please take your trash with you and enjoy the beautiful cave!!!

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

I've done this trail a few times. The first, I couldn't not find the cave. You have to stay to the left and the fork in not very obvious. The trail is rocky and steep in some parts. Cave is small and requires you to climb a rope to enter.

Monday, August 15, 2016

I was not able to find the cave. We used the directions feature from this app but only saw signs to the Garner canyon and nothing to the cave. Can anyone tell me some more specifics directions to get to the cave or where exactly to park?

Thursday, July 28, 2016

the hike itself was tough, but the cave was worth it! i don't recommend hiking at 3pm in the middle of the summer. bring a flashlight and gloves (rat excrement). we went about 150 ft into the cave, but stopped because it started to get tight.

Friday, June 10, 2016

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

we did this trail on Memorial day and do not see a single person. the trail is very steep and a little hard to follow in places, which just makes it feel more like the adventure it is. the first place that has a rope to help you get up something steep is very helpful. The actual cave is only going to be accessible if you are willing to climb 15 feet up the side of a cliff. There is another rope here but my wife and son did not have the upper body strength or courage to make the climb. For those that can't get to that cave there is a smaller cave just 20 feet East of this one that can be looked in.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

This trail really isn't too bad. It does get quite steep for parts of it, but as long as you pace yourself it's really not that hard. I'd say this is more of a moderate hike but you do have to climb up some rocky ledges. The main thing with this hike is not to miss the turn off. It can be easily missed if you're not looking for it. When you get up past the creek trickling down the big rock (kind of looks like a water slide) and then hike until you reach the river bed, follow the river bed for a while and watch for a trail on your left. The cave is pretty great, though not a cave for people who are claustrophobic. It requires a short ascent on some pre-installed ropes. I've trusted those ropes for a few years now and they haven't let me down. Overall great hike, definitely one of my favorites.

Friday, April 08, 2016

The GPS shows that the cave is about 0.69 miles from the road as the crow flies. The trail is very direct so the hike in is only 0.71 miles However the trail to the cave is very steep and treacherous and it takes about 2 hours to hike up. The return hike only took 25 minutes. There are several sections where scrambling is required or where ropes have been left to help ascend small cliffs. The cave is high and requires ascending ropes to get to the mouth.

Sunday, July 15, 2012

This is a sweet hike. I've done it many times. It's my go to hike if I can't think of any good places to go. I went up with a few friends and we camped on the top of the cave. Lots of fun but make sure you go when it's warm.

Wednesday, May 04, 2011

I was wrong about the poop in the cave, you'll notice a little bit of animal activity but there is nothing in there other than crickets. The cave is awesome and the hike up there offers you some amazing views. I was going to get an exact GPS coordinates but I forgot to charge it. So I'll include that next time we go up to get into the mud rooms that are suppose to be in there. Awesome time up there though, and the directions on this guide are pretty simple.