Frying Pan Trail

Frying Pan Trail is a 8.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Torrey, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, rock climbing, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 8.5 miles Elevation Gain: 2,618 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

Directions from Capitol Reef Visitor Center: Hickman Bridge Access: Drive eastward on Highway 24 approximately 1.5 miles to the Hickman Bridge Trailhead. Park at this trailhead and cross the highway to the Cohab Canyon Trail's northern terminus. Follow Cohab Canyon Trail three-quarters of a mile to Frying Pan Trail junction.

Great trail! Very exposed. Plan ahead for the heat in the summer.

We did Cohab Canyon (departing from across from the Hickman Bridge parking lot) to Frying Pan to Cassidy Arch. I’d give this a 4.5- it was challenging enough, a good length, and some cool stuff to look at. There aren’t really any sweeping vistas or anything, but there are definitely cool rocks and the Cassidy Arch really sneaks up on you once you get there. It does a great job of revealing the oddities of the geology of the area, so if you’re into that, definitely check it out.

We did this hike on Th 03/28. This was definitely more of a difficult hike, due to the elevation gain. We started at the Hickman Bridge trailhead and are glad we went this direction. The scenery for the uphill climb was not as spectacular as we had seen throughout the park, but the hike downhill had some more interesting formations and colors. We only did this one-way and continued through the Grand Wash, which was impressive with its huge walls and a nice break after the hike up and over. We hitchhiked from the Grand Wash trailhead and were picked up by a great park ranger to bring us back to our car. The weather was perfect - in the 50s and sunny, but any warmer and we would have been fried as there isn’t much shade especially on the way down to Cassidy Arch and to the bottom.

Sat Oct 27 2018

Spectacular late October day. Low sixties. Perfect for this hike. The variety is incredible, ascending and descending through different layers multiple times. Be sure to see Cassidy Arch. It's worth the side trip.

Thu Oct 11 2018

My favorite way to do this trail is start at grand wash, and come up through Cohab. Ending up at the campground. Plan accordingly to have a way back to your vehicle. Such a nice hike

Sat Sep 08 2018

No traffic and incredible views. We started on the Cohsb Canyon trail at the Hickman Arch/Navajo Knobs Trailhead and hiked all the way to Cassidy Arch. About 9.5 miles round trip. The scenery was incredible. My favorite hike in Capitol Reef so far. Longer than some hikes, but worth it. I liked it better than Najaho Knobs, Cassidy Arch, Grand Wash, Capital Wash and Hickman Arch. Take at least 3-liters of water. There are many washes and slot canyons accessible about 1-mile into the trail from Cohab Canyon that are very inviting.

Tue Aug 28 2018

Views on the this hike are great. Started around 745am. I saw one big horned sheep and zero people! Fun taking the short, side hike to Hickman Bridge. The best way to do this hike is one way. I started from the campground and ended at the Hickman Bridge parking lot. Hitched a ride back, which was only a few miles.

Tue May 15 2018

We hiked this trail starting from the Hickman Bridge parking lot. Across the street you start out on the Cohab Canyon trail (sign may be blocked by vehicles parked on the road) and go about 3/4 of a mile to the interesection with the Frying Pan trail (sign marks the intersection). There are bathrooms available in the parking lot. From this direction, most of the hike was uphill, but that just makes the return hike easier! Once you pick up the Frying Pan Trail, be sure to look for cairns marking the way. The views on this hike were amazing! Just beautiful! We passed some other hikers, but not too many. So you can have a nice peaceful hike and enjoy the beauty and scerenity.

Wed Oct 18 2017

The best way to do this trail is to park a vehicle in grand wash, and hike from there. The start is the Cassidy Arch trail. It's a lot of gain in little miles.from there, you continue on the well marked frying pan trail. From that point, go through Cohab canyon. The views are spectacular. This will take you right down to the Fruita campground. We usually have another vehicle to get us back to the car in grand wash. We have also had a ranger take Us back too. Great hike.

Thu Sep 07 2017

We picked this trail up at the end of Cohab Canyon and followed it about halfway before returning to the Cohab trailhead. Great views!!

Tue Jun 21 2016

This is a great trail. We started at the Cohab Canyon trailhead, checked out the overlook, then continued on the Frying Pan Trail to Cassidy Arch, then down the Grand Wash Trail. I was able to hitch a short ride back to the car. Amazing scenery, great variety, One of my favorite hikes of all time! I think we did the hike in November, so there was a skiff of snow here and there. But the day was sunny and cool and perfect for hiking!

Sat Oct 17 2015

Awesome

Sat Feb 07 2015

This isn't a trail you can jump right on to from a trailhead. You either have to access it via Cohab Canyon from the N/NW or come from the South from Cassidy Arch Trail. This trail connects the two. Of this entire section (Cohab to Cassidy), this section was my least favorite. The views were great, and there was literally NOBODY else on the trail all day, but some of the cairns were poorly kept and placed. I found myself rebuilding some that had been destroyed as I returned to the trailhead. 80-90% of them are fine, but 10% is just enough to make you nervous several times along the trail. I'd recommend bringing a GPS to track your footprint in case you need to backtrack. My reflection of this section is not true for the entire Cohab-Cassidy Arch trail, which overall was a great experience.

Tue Sep 03 2013

Hike this trail in two sections. From the campground to US24 one day and from the campgrond to Cassidy Arch. Very scenic trail. Lots of ups and down on the trail to Cassidy Arch.

Wed Oct 31 2018