Frary Peak Trail

Frary Peak Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Syracuse, Utah that features a lake. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and birding. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great hike! We went early and got some shade - I would recommend this. I expected all uniform and boring terrain, but there was quite a lot of variety and some fun surprises with the rock formations. We saw deer and antelope and it was a good length for our 10-year-old.

At the ridge at 3 miles, take the right trail down unless you're ready for some wild rock scrabbling.

Even with the views being limited by a thick haze, what I could see was very impressive. I imagine they'd be amazing with higher visibility. I'd recommend an early morning hike for this one during the summer months. There's no hiding from the sun on this one. I did come across some sharp-tailed grouse near the weather station.

The skies were so cloudy because of all the surrounding fires. Started early and had a slight breeze that was nice. This trail is almost entirely exposed until you get past the weather station, so that breeze was nice. Went down the left side after the station and came down across the ridge. That required some scrambling. And please people, if you have do poop, don't do it on the ledge of this trail! Can't you at least hold it until you get down or plan and go to the bathroom beforehand?! Not a nice thing to see when trying to find places for foot and handholds while scrambling.

My first ever hike. 4th of July this year. Loved it! Would not rate it as hard or difficult, but its lengthier so take alot of water and sunscreen. No bug issues like some other posters have said; think it must vary from day to day at GSL. Took us about three to 3.5 hours up and back. Breathtaking views and an experience I will remember always and forever.

I will never do this hike again. Both times there were so many bugs, and gnats you can't keep off. We were bleeding all over from them. The views, volcanic arc rocks left behind and cap carbonates are something to experience, but only once.

truely enjoyed the trail and like promised it was rewardingly difficult at times. the last little bit towards the peak was pretty sketchy and I was fairly uncomfortable as the trail was incredibly narrow tilted down towards the quite steep hill (as in if you messed up, youd fall down said hill) beautiful view from the top tho and was well worth it.

This is the best trail on Antelope! (My opinion) I have done this trail 3 times in the past month. The trick is going early....gates open @6:00am. This trail is moderate for the first 3 miles to the radio towers then after that it can be a bit tricky but nothing too bad. Yes if you are a first time hiker I would look at maybe doing lakeside trail. But this opens up a hidden side of antelope island. The first time doing this trail it took me 2hrs 49 min today I did it in 2hr 19min, not the fastest but I would say I’m a slower hiker but I jogged down. If you can do waterfall you can do this hike. If you are worried about the last half mile just go to the radio tower! Don’t miss out on the awesome views!

Great hike! And better views! Saw 3 bison on June 21st,2018. My GPS read 7.2 miles total though. From start to finish this hike took me a little over 3 hours. I stopped once mid way up and once at the peak. Descent took about 55 minutes but I was running most of it.

Some suggestions for first timers like myself:

1. Bring bug spray and lots of sunscreen. The bugs can get pretty gnarly at some points toward the beginning and end of the hike. If you have any open wounds (like me) make sure to cover them up. The bugs are attracted to this and will not leave you alone. Make sure to cover properly.
2. When you reach mile marker three stay right . Do not try and climb the rocky trail that looks like the right way. It’s dangerous and the trail needs to have a marker advising people that this is the wrong way.
3. Bring a hiking stick. You’ll thank yourself on the way up.
4. Wear proper footwear. Sneakers will do fine but beware there is some rocky terrain. If you have hiking boots or trail running shoes I would use though.
5. No shade on this trail. All sun which is what I prefer.

I would not recommend this for the first time hiker or somebody with mobility issues. This is not a beginners hike. The last .5-.7 miles was a bit challenging and quite steep.

LOTS OF WATER. I went through appx 2 L of water on this hike and wish I had more.

My husband and I completed this hike on June 17.

We started at about 2PM..... not our best move. We also didn't pack enough water, so we were rationing the entire way. Fortunately, we remembered sunblock (the trail is 100% exposed) and bug spray. Additionally, we had the good luck of having an occasional breeze accompany us the entire way. That wind prevented us from being eaten alive by bugs. In fact, we were hardly bothered at all. In the two days since our hike, we've only discovered one bug bite each!

The trail was steep.... we took rest breaks every 10-15 minutes. The views were phenomenal! The crystal-blue water seemed to extend forever, and we could hardly stop looking at it.

Would recommend this for anyone up for a challenge!

The landscape, the views! Very mild wind and no bugs whatsoever (beginning of June). Also almost no bison seen, where is the supposed 1000 herd?

BUGS BUGS BUGS !!!
Good Views fun hike but the no-see-ums WOW !
If you go take a good bug screen / head net, cover exposed skin and use a good repellent. Itch and swelling from the bites have lasted over a week now.I would suggest waiting till the swarms subside.PS as you climb higher the swarms get worse kinda freaky, almost panic if your not prepared .

Went up on May 9th from 3.30 to 6 pm. It was hot and sunny, bring plenty of water. The bugs do get you - not sure if there is a good way to keep them at bay. Good workout. Awesome view.

This is a great hike, yet you must be aware of the no-see-ums if considering hiking in April through June. If the wind is less than 10 mph you will encounter swarms of these flesh eating insects. Be prepared with fine mesh netting (typical mosquito netting is not fine enough). Deet is ineffective.

Hiked it last Friday. Upper parking lot is back open. Still snow on upper half of trail but not too deep, few inches at most. Moderately difficult trail, but has flatter sections that give a nice break. Beautiful views of the lake.

Definitely wouldn't want to do this one when it's hot and sunny. No shade at all and it's quite the workout! Well worth it though. Views are incredible the entire hike! Bugs are out right now so be ready for that

I went on this trail with a YM group. Begins steep but flattens after a while. We stopped near the first peak as it was extremely hot and the bugs were eating us alive. I’d recommend going early or late in the day. The first half of the trail is rocky, and you can easily trip on them. There is very little shade at all on this trail so going at a cooler time is likely better. Otherwise, it was a good trail and can by done by anyone, definitely not a hard.

Great hike! The views are stunning from the time you start the hike until the summit! I even got the chance to see a buffalo that was grazing on the train! I made a mistake and didn’t reapply sunscreen and am definitely paying the price, so make sure to bring something to cover you from the sun!

I really enjoyed this hike. We went at the perfect time. Bugs were just barely starting to come out but not the mean ones. I wouldn’t do this hike in any warmer weather than what it was (around 70). Elevation gain is very gradual other than the very beginning of the trail and the little push to the wire. Still not terrible though and absolutely beautiful!

decent trail with some good views pretty sketchy trails at the peak but nice hike up to the tower

We were driving from SLC to Jackson and wanted a day hike and picked this trail as "something different". This was a fun day hike although there is no shade on this trail so water and heat can be issue. The three of us drank 2-32oz Nalgenes. This is a steady climb and there are not many steep sections. Great view of the Great Salt Lake at the top and take some binoculars to see the wildlife. Although ranked as hard, I have hiked moderate trails that are significantly harder.

Be sure to go right after the cell tower. To the left gets sketchy with dogs on lease but it’s possible to hike the ridge across.

Tough but worth it. Still a decent amount of snow on the ground. Pretty rocky at the end

Upper parking lot is closed, so adds .5 miles from lower lot. No snow to speak of, and only a tiny patch of ice on the last portion of the trail ( past the communication tower ). Don't forget sunscreen, even in the winter, as you are fully exposed for the entire trip.

Frary Peak Sunday. No real snow, didn't need traction. Today was a treat, only one spot with any real wind, calm at the summit, (no bugs in the winter) and only the bypass section with some soft snow on the trail near the summit. Dead calm at the summit. Upper TH is closed so this is a 8mi round trip.

Great hike , trail in great shape just a bit sketchy at the very top with a little snow on the trail. Busy day with a lot of hikers.

great hike today, able to see big horn sheep, deer, bison and eagles. I would say it's more of a moderate hike.

amazing trail! the views were beautiful for the amount of effort you put in. although this trail is rated hard, I would say that it is a more moderate trail.

Unbelievable views throughout the hike. Challenging and beautiful. One of the best hikes I've ever done.

Beautiful at sunset. Lots of north facing slopes so the snow is soft and the trail slippery in areas. To the 3-mile marker, the trail is not at all exposed, however the last .5 miles to the peak requires you to cross snow-covered 40 degree slope angle side hills areas with nothing for hand holds. We made it without difficulty, but not for the faint of heart. The views from the top, but other than the view to the South, the views at the 3-mile marker to the East and West are almost identical. Have fun!

This was a great hike for early in the morning on an unseasonably warm day in November. I wouldn't want to do it in the summer heat or anytime there are bugs. There were bison everywhere when I arrived, across the road and in the parking lot at the trailhead. They are large and majestic, but not particularly charming. Hiking on Antelope Island is different than other hikes in the area, as you are walking through grasslands, with completely unobstructed views in all directions. The elevation gain on this trail comes in spurts, with interspersed segments that are level or downhill. It is a very well maintained and mellow trail right up until you get to the antenna near the top, at which point things change dramatically. The summit is on a rocky ridgeline, and it seems like some people just go straight and clamber up along the the rocks to the summit. That looked kind of iffy, so I took the obvious trail that dips down behind the ridge on the west side and loops around to climb up to the peak from the south. As described by Kristen below, that actually turned out to be a little scary also, and I would not recommend it for anyone afraid of heights or wearing shoes with poor traction. The scenery is great for the whole hike, but the summit is worth the extra effort.