Frary Peak Trail is a 11.1 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Syracuse, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and bird watching and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 11.1 km Elevation Gain: 712 m Route Type: Out & Back

Users have reported that during the winter there is a closed gate that adds half a mile each way to the hike.

fee

This was nothing short of an amazing hike. The ride out to the island is gorgeous, and the setting is filled with wildlife. The hike up is not too bad at all. The 360 degree views from the top are jaw dropping. You can see Ogden, downtown Salt Lake City, and the Great Salt Lake. We hiked up mid-afternoon and it was the perfect time!

Moderate hike until the end, where it gets a bit harder. Medium traffic. Views at the top are awesome. Called ahead to the ranger station to ask about the bugs. There was none on the day of our hike b/c of overnight rain and several windy days ahead of the hike. Always seem worth it to call and inquire because the bugs can ruin the trip. Saw a bison along the trail up.

Absolutely jaw dropping views the whole way up, but especially from the peak! Well worth the hike. This trail is rated as “hard” but I think most anyone in decent shape shouldn’t have too much trouble with this hike. There’s a bit of a scramble the last half mile or so, but nothing dangerous or too challenging as long as you stay on the trail. We went on May 20 in the morning and had NO problem with bugs. At one point, about halfway up, a few landed on us but after spraying ourselves with some back woods Off, we never saw another gnat. In terms of scenery and breathtaking views, this trail is #1 on my list.

It’s kinda easy until the last part. So worth it at the end. Pack some snacks. I would recommend to have a bug spray. It didn’t bother us, cause we sprayed a lot.

A great trail but we didn’t head the warning of the biting noseums. They are relentless and got all in out hair. Even through a mesh hat. Regular DEET bug spray does nothing to slow these creatures down. But the trail is nice. Sleep at some Places but mostly winding and cool Rock formations. Pretty wildflowers are in bloom now too

5/7/20 Excellent evening hike! Incredible sunset. The trail is well worn and easily identifiable. I got no bug bites, but had no bug spray and did not use the net I had. (Yesterday was a big windstorm...) The trail is gradual incline or level traverse for the majority, with some steep sections. Coyote calls after sunset were beautiful. (And made me run faster). Sunset from the peak is wonderful.

fee

Didn’t get half way before I ran out of sun. But the west side of the hill looks like something from Jurassic Park. However I was either eating mosquitos or getting eaten by them. Would like to try the trail in the morning, in the rain or on a windy day.

love this hike. i felt like i wasn’t in utah but like Scotland. the greenery with all the boulders and rocks were so beautiful. when you get to the top peak, you get a 360 view of the great salt lake and valley! HOWEVER, we got eaten alive with the gnats. actually, i have about 10 bites just on my right eye. we used bug spray but had to reapply every 15 mins. It did help a little but not worth it. do this hike when the gnats go away. also there is no shade so make sure you bring sunscreen.

The bugs were abysmal. I love this hike and usually have no problems braving it, but the bugs never stopped. I was fully covered and even had a full face/head covering but I made it 2.5 miles up to the ridge before running back to my car when it didn't calm down like it usually does. I'd wait to do this trail for the biting gnats to calm down.

Great hike and definitely a unique 360 degree view. The Wasatch mountains are stunning and a great vantage point to see the Great Salt Lake. Be prepared for the bugs. They were swarming along the whole trail from the parking lot all the way to the peak.

DO NOT GO WITHOUT A FACE NET! The bugs are out and they will bite! Came back with 56 bites. Great views though, just make sure you’re covered head to toe!

The gnats were so thick we couldn’t get very far into it before turning around. Come when it’s raining