Frary Peak Trail

Frary Peak Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Syracuse, Utah that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and birding. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

My husband and I completed this hike on June 17.

We started at about 2PM..... not our best move. We also didn't pack enough water, so we were rationing the entire way. Fortunately, we remembered sunblock (the trail is 100% exposed) and bug spray. Additionally, we had the good luck of having an occasional breeze accompany us the entire way. That wind prevented us from being eaten alive by bugs. In fact, we were hardly bothered at all. In the two days since our hike, we've only discovered one bug bite each!

The trail was steep.... we took rest breaks every 10-15 minutes. The views were phenomenal! The crystal-blue water seemed to extend forever, and we could hardly stop looking at it.

Would recommend this for anyone up for a challenge!

The landscape, the views! Very mild wind and no bugs whatsoever (beginning of June). Also almost no bison seen, where is the supposed 1000 herd?

BUGS BUGS BUGS !!!
Good Views fun hike but the no-see-ums WOW !
If you go take a good bug screen / head net, cover exposed skin and use a good repellent. Itch and swelling from the bites have lasted over a week now.I would suggest waiting till the swarms subside.PS as you climb higher the swarms get worse kinda freaky, almost panic if your not prepared .

Went up on May 9th from 3.30 to 6 pm. It was hot and sunny, bring plenty of water. The bugs do get you - not sure if there is a good way to keep them at bay. Good workout. Awesome view.

This is a great hike, yet you must be aware of the no-see-ums if considering hiking in April through June. If the wind is less than 10 mph you will encounter swarms of these flesh eating insects. Be prepared with fine mesh netting (typical mosquito netting is not fine enough). Deet is ineffective.

Hiked it last Friday. Upper parking lot is back open. Still snow on upper half of trail but not too deep, few inches at most. Moderately difficult trail, but has flatter sections that give a nice break. Beautiful views of the lake.

Definitely wouldn't want to do this one when it's hot and sunny. No shade at all and it's quite the workout! Well worth it though. Views are incredible the entire hike! Bugs are out right now so be ready for that

I went on this trail with a YM group. Begins steep but flattens after a while. We stopped near the first peak as it was extremely hot and the bugs were eating us alive. I’d recommend going early or late in the day. The first half of the trail is rocky, and you can easily trip on them. There is very little shade at all on this trail so going at a cooler time is likely better. Otherwise, it was a good trail and can by done by anyone, definitely not a hard.

Great hike! The views are stunning from the time you start the hike until the summit! I even got the chance to see a buffalo that was grazing on the train! I made a mistake and didn’t reapply sunscreen and am definitely paying the price, so make sure to bring something to cover you from the sun!

I really enjoyed this hike. We went at the perfect time. Bugs were just barely starting to come out but not the mean ones. I wouldn’t do this hike in any warmer weather than what it was (around 70). Elevation gain is very gradual other than the very beginning of the trail and the little push to the wire. Still not terrible though and absolutely beautiful!

decent trail with some good views pretty sketchy trails at the peak but nice hike up to the tower

We were driving from SLC to Jackson and wanted a day hike and picked this trail as "something different". This was a fun day hike although there is no shade on this trail so water and heat can be issue. The three of us drank 2-32oz Nalgenes. This is a steady climb and there are not many steep sections. Great view of the Great Salt Lake at the top and take some binoculars to see the wildlife. Although ranked as hard, I have hiked moderate trails that are significantly harder.

Be sure to go right after the cell tower. To the left gets sketchy with dogs on lease but it’s possible to hike the ridge across.

Tough but worth it. Still a decent amount of snow on the ground. Pretty rocky at the end

Upper parking lot is closed, so adds .5 miles from lower lot. No snow to speak of, and only a tiny patch of ice on the last portion of the trail ( past the communication tower ). Don't forget sunscreen, even in the winter, as you are fully exposed for the entire trip.

Frary Peak Sunday. No real snow, didn't need traction. Today was a treat, only one spot with any real wind, calm at the summit, (no bugs in the winter) and only the bypass section with some soft snow on the trail near the summit. Dead calm at the summit. Upper TH is closed so this is a 8mi round trip.

Great hike , trail in great shape just a bit sketchy at the very top with a little snow on the trail. Busy day with a lot of hikers.

great hike today, able to see big horn sheep, deer, bison and eagles. I would say it's more of a moderate hike.

amazing trail! the views were beautiful for the amount of effort you put in. although this trail is rated hard, I would say that it is a more moderate trail.

Unbelievable views throughout the hike. Challenging and beautiful. One of the best hikes I've ever done.

Beautiful at sunset. Lots of north facing slopes so the snow is soft and the trail slippery in areas. To the 3-mile marker, the trail is not at all exposed, however the last .5 miles to the peak requires you to cross snow-covered 40 degree slope angle side hills areas with nothing for hand holds. We made it without difficulty, but not for the faint of heart. The views from the top, but other than the view to the South, the views at the 3-mile marker to the East and West are almost identical. Have fun!

This was a great hike for early in the morning on an unseasonably warm day in November. I wouldn't want to do it in the summer heat or anytime there are bugs. There were bison everywhere when I arrived, across the road and in the parking lot at the trailhead. They are large and majestic, but not particularly charming. Hiking on Antelope Island is different than other hikes in the area, as you are walking through grasslands, with completely unobstructed views in all directions. The elevation gain on this trail comes in spurts, with interspersed segments that are level or downhill. It is a very well maintained and mellow trail right up until you get to the antenna near the top, at which point things change dramatically. The summit is on a rocky ridgeline, and it seems like some people just go straight and clamber up along the the rocks to the summit. That looked kind of iffy, so I took the obvious trail that dips down behind the ridge on the west side and loops around to climb up to the peak from the south. As described by Kristen below, that actually turned out to be a little scary also, and I would not recommend it for anyone afraid of heights or wearing shoes with poor traction. The scenery is great for the whole hike, but the summit is worth the extra effort.

Great hike.
Definitely a steep climb but well worth it. The views are fantastic.
The trail is in great condition.

Great hike with some fantastic views of the valley and Great Salt lake at the summit. I would rate this hike as moderately strenuous aside from a few steep bits. From what others have said, this hike is best done in the fall or winter as bugs can become a problem. I hiked in November and so had no issues in that department.

great hike today 11/12/17. a little windy at the top but the views are spectacular. all trails says no dogs, but there were a lot of them on the trail today (doesn't bother me, I'm a dog lover). seemed steeper than listed, but not too bad. took 4 hours with lots of photo stops, especially the sunset

If you want a kick butt hike this is it!!! Gorgeous 360 degree views of the entire valley from Brigham City to Tooele. Our legs were mush by the time we got back to our truck. Plan on 4 hours.

This trail was stunning. The views were constant and wildlife was everywhere. The weather was perfect (11-11-17). There was no snow or wind or anything else that might make it difficult. There is a $10 fee to enter the state park. I used the directions on all trails and it got me really close to the trailhead but missed the last turn. You’ll see a sign from the highway when you get about a mile out or so. Follow that sign to the parking lot at the trailhead. The first 3mi of the trail are great. Very well traveled, uphill the entire way and mostly marked well. There is a couple turns where you could take a wrong turn. The first one being after you go thru/under some rocks there’s a trail that cuts left and one that seems to continue straight. Take the one that cuts left and switchbacks up. Then once you get top of the false peak (where the radio tower or some type of equipment is) take the trail that leads down to the right. It was at this point that I did not like this hike. It’s a downhill slightly slanted dirt path with full exposure and nothing to break your fall. It’s very slippery and scary especially if you’re afraid of heights. It would have been helpful if I had my trekking poles. There were some areas that had rock slides therefore it was even more treacherous to cross those areas. Other than this last half mile Is the most difficult part and in my opinion it’s harder to get there then to get back.

I went yesterday (11-9-17) and couldn't't recommend this trail more. I have done it twice before, but this weather was perfect and the views were extraordinary. it is rated as difficult, but I would say if you are an avid hiker, this is more moderate. bring lots of water and enjoy the stunning views

What makes this trail great is it’s uniqueness... You will see amazing wildlife; last visit encountered bison, coyotes, mountain goat, whitetail herd, and a little flock of quail. Bring your good camera and be ready. The island also features some of the oldest geology on the Earth. Cool rocks and formations can be seen everywhere. The hike/run is good and slightly rigorous, but totally worth the view!

A great hike with 360 degree views that go on forever. The views of the Great Salt Lake and the surrounding mountains are stunning. Definitely do this hike on a clear day and in the fall, winter or spring. It would be miserable in the summer because there is no shade at all and the bugs would probably be overwhelming. I wouldn't describe this as easy but it isn't hard from a technical standpoint. It is a good climb to the top, similar in length and elevation gain to a hike to Lake Blanche. Loved it!