Frary Peak Trail

Frary Peak Trail is a 6.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Syracuse, Utah that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

2099 feet

I found this hike to be difficult but worth it. There are times when it does flatten out, but for the most part you are going uphill the entire way. We went went in early spring and the ascent to the peak was very slushy and sketchy on rocks. The views are otherworldly once you are to the top, you just have to push through.

This hike is a mental one , be prepared if you are going to the top especially if you are doing this one Solo and late afternoon. You should have a good gauge of what this hike is going to feel like by the time you hit the frary peak trail head about a half mile in. I passed multiple hikers at and just barely passed this point that already called it quits. This hike will mentally test you and try and make you give up simply based on the fact the sun is beating you up like Mayweather in a multi round fight. There is absolutely minimal shade so if you are doing this hike be well equipped with at minimum 4 liters of water. My whole climb to the peak was completely sun and got lucky with some overcast the way down I felt like I was climbing pyramids in Egypt at times. I kept a slow and steady pace and stopped and stayed hydrated as often as I could, the hike itself is not necessarily bad or difficult however the last half mile is a bit sketchy with loose rock and steep slope. The reward is worth it, I've never felt so accomplished after a solo hike. The views are worth it and seeing the peak in a distance from the causeway is something to feel really proud about.

If you are doing this in the summer be prepared!!!
I went through nearly 4 liters of water and 3 of which were all from the climb.

I hike this trail on April 12, 2017 and thought it was a lovely hike with great views. I started around 8:30 in the morning before the swarms of bugs came out near the shoreline. Steep start, and then a steady climb the whole way, but the views were so nice, it was necessary to stop to take it all in. I felt like I was hiking through the Scottish Highlands! So green! I did turn around before the scrambling near the peak. I was by myself and there was hardly anyone on the trail. Didn't feel safe for me, so I descended and called it a great day!

We flew into SLC and were driving up to the Tetons so decided to go to Antelope State Park for a quick hike. The Frary Peak trail was recommended by the Ranger for its 360-degree views. You certainly get those at the top and a great view of the lake, The trail is tough at times. Saw several hawks and bison in the distance with the binoculars. It was pretty hit the day we hiked the trail and there is no shade. Make sure you have enough water for the entire trail as there is none on the trail

It has really cool views, it's pretty tough though, real steep most of the time and absolutely no shade, so it's very hot. Just pack plenty of water.

Enjoyed this trail very much. Beautiful sights throughout and lots of solitude.

A steep hike at times, but no scrambling. Trail is rocky at times, but is mostly dirt. There are only a couple of opportunities for shade by way of some of the ancient tall rocks and maybe a little by some of the shrubs at the actual peak. Bugs didn't bother me except for some flies.

Would definitely suggest this hike. Bring plenty of water and sunscreen and get ready to give your calves a decent workout!

Enjoy the 360 degree view from the top. It's breathtaking!

Incredible sunset hike, if you are willing to hustle down or walk back in the dark. Beautiful 360° views. The app shows it ending before the trail actually runs out, so it is longer than expected. I imagine it to be a hot summer hike as most of the trail is exposed.

Great trail overall. We actually did not summit Frary Peak, we stopped at Stringham Peak (which is where the antenna is). Nonetheless, the hike was still moderate, I wouldn't say difficult. Pretty steep at some points, would recommend hiking shoes for sure, gym shoes may cause you to slip up. The bugs weren't as bad as other reviews mention. That being said, there was a breeze so that kept them away for most of the time. Even then, they still had a noticeable presence. We didn't wear insect repellent, but from what I've read, it doesn't help anyway. It is a long hike. When you think you are close to the top, you aren't. Come prepared for a long hike. Bring water. We didn't even make it to very end of the trail and it was still a 3 hour round trip hike. For the views, they were nothing short of amazing. You get great views of the Wasatch Front and the Salt Lake City skyline to the east. To the west you get great views of the surrounding mountain ranges and the rest of the island. Overall I would say a visit to Antelope Island, more specifically the Frary Peak Trail, is the best way to view the Great Salt Lake. Definitely recommend this trail to anyone interested. If you come prepared, this is a great hike and a lot of fun. Coming back again for sure.

This hike is magnificent. Views all around the entire way. It didn't feel like I was hiking in Utah. A steady incline most of the way. Best early or late in the season to avoid bugs. GPS told me 7.2.

Pretty fun trail. Climbs immediately from trailhead, but isn't too bad after that. The last section from the antenna station to the peak is a little rocky and narrow, but the views are great. Can see excellent all 360*

great trail, beautiful views on every segment of it. lots of other reviews talk about the gnats, so we went prepared with plenty of big spray but it turned out there weren't many bugs at all on the trail. This trail feels much longer than 3.2 miles in each direction, keep that in mind if you're taking kids.

Bugs! Start early! Gorgeous views of the lake!!!