Fortymile Gulch and Willow Gulch Alternate Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(10)
Glen Canyon National Recreation Area

Fortymile Gulch and Willow Gulch Alternate Loop is a 10 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lake Powell, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November.

Length10 miElevation gain1778 ftRoute typeLoop
BackpackingCampingHikingNature tripsWalkingBird watchingViewsWaterfallWildlifeOff trailFee
Description
Waypoints (4)

Glen Canyon National Recreation Area charges a fee to enter. Fees are $30 per vehicle/vessel or $25 per motorcycle. If you are entering on foot or bike the fee is $15 per person. You can also purchase a park specific annual pass for $55.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (10)
Photos (76)
Recordings (10)
Completed (18)
Robert Greer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 20, 2020
HikingGreat!Over grownScramble

My wife and I did this loop starting at the Broken Bow Arch Trailhead so we would not have to do the 2 ½ mile hike on the road back to the car in the afternoon sun. When you reach the 15 ft drop into the canyon you will want to take the path to the right, we took the left at first and did not have rope to drop down in the canyon so we had to backtrack to the right path to find an easier way to drop into the canyon. The narrow canyons had about chest deep water and those were so much fun and full of crawdads. There is also lots of vegetation and is sometimes hard to navigate, that part was exhausting. You will want to download the route and follow it using your GPS. We had to backtrack a couple of times after checking the route on my iPhone. Once we got close to the end and climbed out of the soft hot sand, we were exhausted, very hot and grateful we parked at the trailhead. I agree with the others this route is more like 15 miles so be sure to take lots of water.

View Robert's Recording
rayni lewis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 14, 2020
HikingMuddyOver grown

My boyfriend and I are avid hikers but by no means canyoneers and we found this hike a little difficult. We started at Willow Gulch but I would recommend doing it the other direction. The hike through both canyons was beautiful and lots of fun. There is a lot of vegetation at the bottom which can make navigation difficult. Be prepared to hike through several pools and even swim through one or two, bring water shoes! I discovered a new irrational fear of crawfish as there were seemingly hundreds in the small pools. The only downside about this hike was the trail was very difficult to follow hiking out of Fortymile gulch and we had to backtrack several times (which is why I recommend going from the other direction), so make sure you are paying attention to the trail. It was also a bit longer than 10 miles, probably closer to 15. Overall a wonderful and challenging hike!

Daniel Moreland
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 4, 2019
HikingMuddyRockyScramble
First to Review

Incredible. My wife and I had an amazing adventure. Doing the full loop from sooner rocks parking lot to 40 mile to willow back to sooner is actually more like 15 miles. When heading on the trail head take the sooner wash trail on the east side of hole-in-the-rock, follow the gulch until you come to a slot with about a 15 foot drop in. Take the right hand side, this party is a little sketchy and definitely takes a little grit, but essentially hike along the rim until you can find a spot to slide in, we did this with two Pomeranians, and we each had 35-40 lb packs on, it was nerve wracking. After that it’s pretty straightforward, see the ruins and plan on getting wet, like chest deep and I’m 6’3”. After the ruins there is NO camp spots until after the confluence into willow creek. Most of the hike is in a sheer slot canyon with absolutely no potential to bail out if a flash flood occurs so check the weather before you go! I would do this again, beats the narrows in Zion.

View Daniel's Recording
Jeff Barney
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 23, 2020
View Jeff's Recording
Eli Hays
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 12, 2019
Nate Lucas
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 23, 2019
View Nate's Recording
cesar castro
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 5, 2019
View cesar's Recording
Marlene King
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 3, 2018
View Marlene's Recording
Rudi Hoste
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 4, 2018
View Rudi's Recording
Ian Lee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 11, 2018
View Ian's Recording