Round, Sand, and Fish Lakes

Round, Sand, and Fish Lakes is a 8.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kamas, Utah that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, fishing, fly fishing, and horses and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.7 miles Elevation Gain: 2,299 feet Route Type: Out & Back

From Oakley, head east on the Weber River Road. Follow it about 11 miles until the pavement ends. The road forks there, and the main road swings to the right (south) toward Smith-Morehouse Reservoir. Don't go that way. Stay on the dirt road that goes east, which will end at Holiday Park. The trail starts at the Dry Fork Trailhead.

My husband and I just did a two night camping trip here. We camped at Round and hiked up to Sand and Fish during the day to do some fishing. There's definitely a lot of fish biting up there and the weather was excellent for a camping trip. The trail up to the lakes is certainly not an easy trail. It's primarily a rock bed and you're climbing about 2,000 feet in elevation the entire time, without any breaks. For someone with short legs, this proved difficult as I was climbing over rocks, river beds, and streams for the majority of the hike. We went about 3.6-4 miles until we reached the first lake, and that took us over 3 hours with all of our gear. The hike down took about 90 minutes because it's downhill the entire time. Just be warned that it's a steep climb. We do a lot of backpacking in the Uintas, and this hike was the most difficult one I've done this year due to the fact that's it's a straight incline the entire time. I'd definitely go back, but I might pack my backpack a bit lighter next time, now that I know what I'm in for. I'm leaving 4 stars instead of 5 because although the lakes were worth it in the end, there are other lakes in the area that may be farther away, but aren't as difficult to get to. The mileage may be more, but it's not a straight climb to reach them.

Pretty trail but they need to improve the markings. Make sure to keep an eye out for the fork in the trail close to the creek where you see the fish lake sign. E

This was a harder hike than I expected. As others have said, the trail is very rocky especially in the steeper sections. I did not find the trail at all hard to follow and there were no obstacles that had to be climbed over or around. There were multiple areas where little streams had to be crossed, but these were not difficult to negociate. Went all the way to Fish Lake with brief stops at Sand and Round Lakes on the way down. The scenery was beautiful and the solitude wonderful. I only saw two other people all day and that was just 15 minutes before getting back to the car in the evening. No problem with bugs, but it was a windy day which probably kept them away.

This was from fish lake (last/third) back down to the trailhead

This was round lake (first) to fish lake (last/third)

This is only the hike up to round lake (the first one) also did it in the dark....

Trail was fairly easy to follow with some basic trail finding abilities and was quite rocky. Due to the heavy winter, a lot of water was on the trail and streams were flowing high. We camped at round lake and fished at all three. Round had the biggest fish despite being the smallest lake. Make sure to bring your bug spray and a change or two of socks! Beautiful hike and wonderful weather. Would highly recommend. On a side note, the trailhead is beyond highland park on the dirt road, unlike the description says.

We hiked up to sand and fish lake. The trail was in pretty poor shape for a lot of the way. We went through several areas that their really wasn't a trail, we just kinda guessed, as there was a lot of water run off, and so from about 2.1 miles to 3.1 much of the steep part was hiking through water. There is about 5-7 places where we had to cross through the creek, and other hikers have put some makeshift small logs across which worked fine, but we were careful. at about 1.2 miles where you cross by the beaver dams just plan on getting wet up to mid calf or so. It was a pretty hike, and the scenery was very pretty, and the fishing was great at Sand, and Fish lake. Not hardly any other people up there either. I gave it a 3 stars, just because I felt the trail needed to be marked better both from the lower first part where the trail had been washed out, and from mile 2-3 needs some better marking.

Saturday, September 29, 2018

I absolutely loved this hike! Hiked it a week ago. Started at 7am right as the sun was coming up.. it was 33 degrees! Saw a lot of deer on the drive up and on the start of the trail. Fall colors everywhere and beautiful lakes. Fish lake at the top is very empty and not as pretty as the two below. Overall a moderate hike-I wouldn’t say any of it was too challenging. I’ll be hiking this again

Sunday, September 09, 2018

I’ve heard about this hike for many years from my grandpa so my rating is a little bias. As this was the first back packing trip in years for most of my group the hike was rough for the last mile but was well worth it. We camped at Round lake but made it to all three for fishing. Fishing was hottest at Sand lake but we caught fish at all three. Just be ready for quick weather change. Our 0% chance of rain turned in to frequent showers and hail. All in all it was a blast. We will be doing this again.

Monday, August 13, 2018

We went at the beginning of August. Round lake was beautiful and fishing was great! Sand lake was beautiful and fishing was great but the fish were were smaller than at Round. Fish Lake was very disappointing. The water was extremely low, rocks and dead trees everywhere. We intended to camp 2 nights at Fish but ended up going back to Sand lake for our camp site. The hike was beautiful but very rocky. Seemed like rock jumping for much of the time. Weather was fantastic!

Monday, July 02, 2018

Beautiful quiet place. Hiked in on Saturday morning end of June. Full blue skies and average temp was 80 degrees. Scenery is beautiful the entire way up - aspen groves, wildflower meadows, alpine cliffs. When we got to Fish lake there was one other person. Made for a very peaceful backpacking trip. Last mile and a half to Round lake is pretty steep. Saw some elk and deer near Round lake.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

We just got off the trail today. Ton of downed trees blocking the trail in places. This trail is rated moderate and I agree with it. It's deceiving because you alway think you have reached the top but disappointed that you still have a ways to go. Just FYI, the mileage that is posted with this trail is for round lake. If you are going to Fish Lake it is 4.5 miles. All the fish in the lake were so small that we had very poor luck. We were using spinners which was obviously a bad choice for these lakes. Dry fly fishing in the morning and evening would have been a much better choice.

Saturday, July 16, 2016

We went on the trail late June and it was quite wet, with most the trail being a water flow. It was however a beautiful hike and worth it. Bring snacks, we forgot ours.

Sunday, October 07, 2018