Fins & Things Trail

Fins & Things Trail is a 9.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Moab, Utah that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for off road driving and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 9.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,076 feet Route Type: Loop

ohv / off road driving

Cruise up and down incredibly steep, giant slickrock fins The dominant feature of this trail is its steepness and great traction on the slickrock. Unbelievable fun and fantastic scenery. Best part is between Points 9 and 13. Small fee required to enter. Fee includes map with rules and regulations. Read and follow rules carefully. For information on this trail, contact the Sand Flats Recreation Area at (435) 259-2444. Steep slickrock climbs and descents. Some large ledges have bypasses, but not all. Short vehicles with high approach and departure angles do best, but many stock SUVs are seen on this trail. The south loop is not recommended for ATVs.

fee

Just did this trail early on the morning today and had the trail to ourselves. This was my first real Moab trail and it was a blast. Did it in my Jeep Unlimited Wrangler with 33” tires and was able to do everything except a couple of Very steep climbs. Rubbed our rockers once and the tail end coming down a couple very steep drops. Beautiful scenery and very fun trail. Did it at sunrise and it was well worth getting up and getting on the trail early.

ohv/off road driving

Great trail for those looking to get started in “rock crawling”. We did the whole loop in about 3.5hrs in a stock Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and only scraped once. Go slow, avoid quick drops off obstacles and take your time. It was a blast. You’ll be surprised by the angles a stock Jeep can manage.

Super fun with RZR. Good obstacles and fun sandy stuff. We were limited on time so we did not do the north loop.

ohv/off road driving

Great fun with some pucker spots.

ohv/off road driving

Just returned from 3 days in Moab, Fins and things is a must. There are two portions the South Loop which is fairly short and not that difficult. The Northern Loop is Longer and you have a lot of steep ups and downs if it's your first time the the nose over can be intimidating. Lot's of places with steep down and big steps I would recommend at least a 2.5 inch lift, there were to stocks jeeps a head of and the were bottoming out a lot. It's a fun trails with a couple spooky spot.

ohv/off road driving

Loved this trail. Not too technical, but still enough to be fun. One of my favorites.

ohv/off road driving

My wife and I split the trail 50/50 in a RZR XP 1000. Amazing! Only need 4x4 in a few spots. Great climbs and views with killer sand berms to rip in 2wd!

ohv/off road driving

Awesome trail, took close to 3 hours in JLU, 35s, 2.5” lift and plenty of stopping for photos! Very clearly marked and little to no issues getting through whole trail.

One of the last fins is the hardest obstacle of all Sand Flats even Hell’s Revenge Trail. It was the only obstacle I was unable to just crawl up. Had to goose it half way up the fin.

ohv/off road driving

10/10 would go again. Did it in a first gen sequoia. No problems.

ohv/off road driving

Completed in an hour on my Sur-Ron electric motorcycle. The first part of the ride that isn’t recommended for OHV was the best part imho. Lots of deep soft sand so if make sure you have some sand experience if you’re on a dirt bike. Definitely wanna do it again!

ohv/off road driving

Toyota Tundra. 3/1 kit and 33s". Lots of fun.

ohv/off road driving

Amazing. I little bit of everything. Not too technical and easy for Can-Ams/RZRs. The last part is super fun slick rock.

Can recommend trail for enduro bikers. Interesting mix between sand and rock.

I would recommend this trail for advanced intermediate jeep drive.

ohv/off road driving

loved it, first trail at moab for us. 3" lift 33" tires but was followed by a stock JK sport with street tires, plenty of alt routes for a stock truck.

A must do trail when in Moab.

ohv/off road driving

Definitely NOT a moderate trail!!

ohv/off road driving

Completed the trail twice this year, was a little intimidated on the first go around so I had to do it a second time and take the more difficult lines. 33's and stock height jeep had no issues. SO MUCH GRIP. If you're in the area, this is a great beginner/intermediate trail and can probably be hit with anyone that has some decent ground clearance and 4wd. I spotted a few trailhawks running it.

ohv/off road driving

Great trail as a warm up. Brought the kids for a quick Jeep ride in north side only while we were in Moab. Miles 7 8 and 9 are best. Before that is bouncy rocky sandy and washboard better suited for UTV. I’ve got 3.5” lift and 35s at 12 psi.

Great trail, beautiful scenery.

ohv/off road driving

This was labeled as moderate, but I would beg to differ. This was a very difficult 4x4 trail that had steep inclines/declines with rocks you had to crawl down. We were nose to ground at some points. Thankfully there was a trail outlet and we were able to cut it short.

ohv/off road driving

It was an amazing trail with plenty of obstacles and plenty of of opportunities to test your off road skills! Love it

ohv/off road driving

Great trail, great view, a fun couple hours in Moab. A few difficult spots. Completed with a 2016 Jeep Wrangler, 33” BFG KO2 tires, no lift, and a great spotter.

ohv/off road driving

First time Jeeping in Moab and this trail was the perfect way to break me in: not too easy; not too hard; all fun. In a Wrangler with 3.5" lift and 35s, there was only one spot where Moab rock said hello to the metal parts of my Jeep.

ohv/off road driving

Went out on this trail on our first ride out with RZR 1000. Very fun trail on the slick rock. Some easy ledges to crawl over. Enjoyed the trail so much we did it a few days later. Easy to a few moderate spots, but overall it was easy.

ohv/off road driving

fun ride. challenging spots for us newbies. our driving age teens loved taking turns

loved it

Loved this trail for getting a little technical. The dips, curves and rises made for a bit of adrenaline and a lot of fun.