Fins & Things Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(281)
Moab, Utah

Fins & Things Trail is a 9.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Moab, Utah that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for ohv/off road driving and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 9.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,092 feet Route Type: Loop

ohv / off road driving

Cruise up and down incredibly steep, giant slickrock fins The dominant feature of this trail is its steepness and great traction on the slickrock. Unbelievable fun and fantastic scenery. Best part is between Points 9 and 13. Small fee required to enter. Fee includes map with rules and regulations. Read and follow rules carefully. For information on this trail, contact the Sand Flats Recreation Area at (435) 259-2444. Steep slickrock climbs and descents. Some large ledges have bypasses, but not all. Short vehicles with high approach and departure angles do best, but many stock SUVs are seen on this trail. The south loop is not recommended for ATVs.

ohv/off road driving

Ron’s review below is perfect

Another great trail in Moab. Moderate is a great rating. This trail has just enough challenge to make it fun for average driver but you do need a capable vehicle.

Wow!

ohv/off road driving

Loved it! Absolutely gorgeous scenery. This was my first trip to Moab. Won’t be my last! Passing through from Southern California, headed home To Denver. Cant wait to come back for more! Moderate is a good rating. Only a few intimidating obstacles with no alternate route. I was solo so had to get out a bunch to choose my lines. Great trail for shakedown run of my wife’s 74 Bronco restomod. Made it through without a scratch or scrape. 3.5” lift and 33s. Never touched.

We e never done any off roading and rented some UTV’s for this trail. Absolutely loved it! It was perfect for getting a feel for it. We completed Hurrah Pass earlier in the day which was a great intro leading up to this one. Will do this one again!

ohv/off road driving

Fun trail with a few tests for those new to offroading (myself included). I didn't find it overly difficult, but I have made quite a few modifications to my Rubicon that made things go smoother (3.5" lift & 35s). Definitely felt intimidated by a few areas at first glance, but once I got into it I felt pretty confident. I was by myself with no spotter, so I did take my time to scout the proper lines (as if I know what I am doing). Only scraped once, but definitely my fault. Enjoyable trail that helps build confidence for sure.

ohv/off road driving

This is a great trail to get started on the adventures that Moab has to offer. It gets you ready for the straight up and straight downs that your vehicle will be doing and get you a little bit ready for the rock crawling on other trails that get quite a bit harder but this is an easy trail that you could do

icy

This was a real fun off road trail. I completed it in a 2 for stock jeep with aggressive all terrain tires. it took me about 3 hours to complete the trail but I did take several stops to enjoy the amazing views and eat lunch. there was a bit of snow here and there but the trail was pretty clear. I wouldn't recommend this trail during the peak of winter I can only imagine there would be too much ice and snow. It was really cool and I definitely would come again.

icy

This was a really fun trail that had a couple challenges throughout. It took me from 10 am to 3pm in a stock jeep with plenty of stops, I'm sure you can do it in less time with a more built vehicle or with less stops. overall this was a great trail and I would come here again.

Tried to find the Dump Panel Hike, and failed. Strolled down the road from the Slickrock Bike Trail parking lot and went out and back a few miles on Fins & Things, as there were no 4X4s in sight anywhere today. Nice scenery.

fee

$5 fee for the day! Completed in a 2 inch lift Toyota Tacoma. Scraped the hitch a few times. Had to take a few times to get up the rocks as it was wet from the last snow storm. The trail is marked by arrows in the boulders you climb around on, so keep an eye out for this markers! Will absolutely do this one again next time we come to Moab area. Highly recommended! So fun!

fee

Just did this trail early on the morning today and had the trail to ourselves. This was my first real Moab trail and it was a blast. Did it in my Jeep Unlimited Wrangler with 33” tires and was able to do everything except a couple of Very steep climbs. Rubbed our rockers once and the tail end coming down a couple very steep drops. Beautiful scenery and very fun trail. Did it at sunrise and it was well worth getting up and getting on the trail early.

ohv/off road driving

Great trail for those looking to get started in “rock crawling”. We did the whole loop in about 3.5hrs in a stock Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and only scraped once. Go slow, avoid quick drops off obstacles and take your time. It was a blast. You’ll be surprised by the angles a stock Jeep can manage.

Super fun with RZR. Good obstacles and fun sandy stuff. We were limited on time so we did not do the north loop.

ohv/off road driving

Great fun with some pucker spots.

ohv/off road driving

Just returned from 3 days in Moab, Fins and things is a must. There are two portions the South Loop which is fairly short and not that difficult. The Northern Loop is Longer and you have a lot of steep ups and downs if it's your first time the the nose over can be intimidating. Lot's of places with steep down and big steps I would recommend at least a 2.5 inch lift, there were to stocks jeeps a head of and the were bottoming out a lot. It's a fun trails with a couple spooky spot.

ohv/off road driving

Loved this trail. Not too technical, but still enough to be fun. One of my favorites.

ohv/off road driving

My wife and I split the trail 50/50 in a RZR XP 1000. Amazing! Only need 4x4 in a few spots. Great climbs and views with killer sand berms to rip in 2wd!

ohv/off road driving

Awesome trail, took close to 3 hours in JLU, 35s, 2.5” lift and plenty of stopping for photos! Very clearly marked and little to no issues getting through whole trail.

One of the last fins is the hardest obstacle of all Sand Flats even Hell’s Revenge Trail. It was the only obstacle I was unable to just crawl up. Had to goose it half way up the fin.

ohv/off road driving

10/10 would go again. Did it in a first gen sequoia. No problems.