Fifth Water Hot Springs Trail

Fifth Water Hot Springs Trail is a 4.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Spanish Fork, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.5 miles Elevation Gain: 636 feet Route Type: Out & Back

hot springs

Users have reported that during winter months there is a closed gate on the road leading to the trailhead. This closure adds 1.5 miles each way to the hike. There is a small lot but parking can be an issue. Do not park on the road and pay attention to the parking signs as the Sheriff does issue tickets. These hot springs are a very fun and scenic attraction. There are several pools of varying temperatures along with a beautiful waterfall. Be sure to wear shoes when walking between pools as there have been reports of broken glass on the trail. Fifth Water Hot Springs are located in Diamond Fork Canyon, which splits off from Spanish Fork Canyon. Total drive time from Spanish Fork, Utah is about a half hour on paved roads. At the trailhead, there is lots of parking and a bathroom. Please note that parking is limited in the on-site lot. Parking on the street is discouraged as parking tickets are common. From the trailhead, follow the trail southeast along the east bank of Sixth Water Creek. Do not cross the foot bridge. After 1.0 mile, you will come to another foot bridge, which you should cross. This is the junction of Sixth Water Creek (from the left) and Fifth Water Creek (from the right). About a mile after the footbridge, the water will turn milky blue and start smelling like sulfur, a sign that you're getting close. About a mile from the footbridge, you'll see the lower hot springs on your right. Someone built a rock pool and diverted the hot water into it, so it's pretty deep. Another 20 yards upstream are two other hot springs. One is on the left side of the river about 50 feet downstream from the base of the waterfall, and the other is on the right side of the river about 50 feet downstream from the base of the waterfall.

Easy picturesque hike. Beautiful area. I was amazed and disappointed at how much trash people left. Please pack out what you pack in.

hike up takes about 45-60 min. Beautiful hike! You will see snakes on warm sunny days. The pools were great and most can be tweaked. If to hot, find a way to direct the cold water in, if too cold, find where the cold water is coming in and slow it down. Locals go up frequently to help improve the pools. yes, you'll likely run into naked people, especially if you go early or late in the day. But if you are nice and respectful in how you talk to them, most are willing to put shorts or underwear on if you are uncomfortable. There is a hidden pool that a local pointed me too. If you find it, don't be surprised if you run into naked people. Because it's more secluded, it seems to be used more frequently by skinny dippers. I'd definitely go again! Next time I'll backpack in and camp somewhere on the trail.

The trail was AWESOME, the hot pots were AWESOME. If you have an irrational fear of snakes, like I do, I’d suggest waiting until it’s much cooler to do this hike. We had FIVE encounters. I don’t know if that’s normal or not, but ONE is usually enough to turn me around and so it was hard for me to truly enjoy. If you’re a snake lover, you’ll dig this place.

My boyfriend, roommate and I hiked in around sunset this past Thursday night. We brought our camp gear, hoping to go to the springs really late or really early in order to have a spring to ourselves. We discovered there was over 20 people at the springs still at sunset, so we settled on the furthest pool, upstream of the waterfall. We had the pool to ourselves for about an hour, but were joined by a few bros. We left shortly after, and camped nearby. We noticed people hiking in towards the hot springs all hours of the night, well past midnight. We woke up around 5am the next morning, and still spotted people hiking in towards the springs. We decided to pack up early and head home, deciding that we most likely weren't going to have any private moments at these springs. The hike was easy and absolutely beautiful, and the river was bursting with fresh snowmelt. The waterfall and springs were super cool, but just very very crowded. For those seeking for backcountry springs and a little solitude, this site is not for you. For a quick dunk in the spring 30 minutes away from the city with a bunch of other folks? That sounds more accurate for what you should expect.

Absolutely loved this hike. Very well shaded. You walk right next to the river the whole time. Great resting spots. Such an easy hike. But it does get very busy. And there is no parking spots. The pots were beautiful & warm! The waterfall is full! Enjoyed every moment!

So pretty, walk along the river the whole way, lots of shade, perfect lunch spot by the river at the half way mark, good tree for c to climb, so many snakes, three good places to pee

Very easy. Best to get there early and watch the sun peak through the woods. Be sure to talk to the Keeper of the Realm. He is often seen naked in the second pool carrying a pick axe. My understanding is that he keeps the pools running well. Chat with him for safe passage to the best of the pools.

Great trail for the family!

A beautiful and easy trail. A lot of wildflowers and a constant following a steam hike. Easy for the whole family. I also recommend going early on a Sunday before 10am. The parking lot gets full fast so park where it can be easy to get out. Bring a towel and water shoes, with a letter or two of water. Have fun, we had great discussions with many people.

Worth it. The trail is uphill nearly all the way and my little was nearly done toward the end, but the falls and hot springs are beautiful and worth the trek. There are 3 sections of hot springs with the coolest being the first. The second of springs are up a little further and much warmer and near the first falls. Nice mix of hot and cold there. If you proceed past the first fall, there's another spring and a much taller fall that is spectacular, but much more difficult to get to. I didn't bring my little up that way. It's a sulphur spring, so there is an intense smell, but the experience is amazing. There weren't many people there. We started the hike around 4pm and by the time we got there it wasn't crowded. We did pass tons of people hiking out on our way in though. My recommendation is to avoid 10am-5pm.

Normally one of my favorite hikes. Except yesterday, a guy with barely a t shirt wrapped around his waist barged past my wife and I so that he could be naked in one of the pools that we were clearly making our way to. I told him he better be covered when we got there, to which he got snotty and rude. Then another pool had a naked guy in it, but at least he was nice. That unfortunately left only a very shallow, extremely hot pool left, that was hard to enjoy.

We did this 1st week of June! Great weather & was a good hike. The prettiest spring at the top was occupied by a very loving couple. LOL. But it was a good one & the canyon was so green! Easy to follow trail

Nice easy hike, Beautiful views, A lot of people You’re most likely going to have to park off the street instead of parking lot also the bathrooms were disgusting.

Highly recommend, hot springs are awesome! Show up early to beat the crowds, as we were leaving around 11:30 a bunch of ppl were hiking in and parking lot was full. We started the hike at 8 am and only ran into 4 people. It took us 1 hour to hike in and 45 min to hike out.

Went in the hike this morning. We got to the parking lot around 8AM on a Sunday and there were probably 10-15 parkings left. Bathrooms available at the trailhead. Easy hike. Did it in Chacos. Only about 4-5 other people at the hot springs when we got there. So we got ample time to hang in the springs and take photos. By 9:45/10:00, a huge surge of people came. It was packed after that! Tons of families and big groups. No way you’d be getting photos on your own. The waterfalls are strong, so only a few main pools open. Awesome hike overall!!

Trail had elevation but still shallow enough to run parts of it. Beautiful scenery, totally worth the length and don’t forget a swimsuit for the hot springs!

Very easy trail but highly trafficked. Once you get to the springs there are a ton of people but it’s really pretty and worth the hike!

Aug 2018. The trail was sort of rough and steep in places, but manageable. The hot springs were beautiful! The scenery was stunning as well. There was plenty of shade and plenty of places to sit and take a rest. The downsides were that there were A LOT of people at the hot springs, even though we went super early specifically to AVOID people (it was like 7am on a weekday), and that the hot springs were full of algae that gives a really gross slimy texture to the bottom of the pools, etc. so if you're thinking of taking a dip and have texture issues like me, maybe reconsider.

It’s a decent hike, the hot springs are worth it. The mineral smell is awful but still made for a great Saturday.

In response to Diane Marion. There a few camping spots before and after the springs. All about 1/4 mile away from the springs. The biggest and closest one to the springs is spacious and backs up to the river. Great idea! Should be fun for all.

This is not a review but a question for those who had the opportunity to experience what looks like an incredible place! - I am planning a trip through Utah's NPs May 17-26. Would love to hike out to the hot springs and camp there to have a really early morning soak. Is this something that can be done at Fifth Water Hot Springs? If so, are there plenty of spaces to camp assuming many others may have the same idea as well? Thank you in advanced!

Trail was in good condition which was nice with all the rain the last few weeks. The hot springs were great and the scenery was beautiful. It was pretty crowded when we went (a Wednesday evening) but we still had a good time. The hike isn’t difficult at all and definitely worth it.

Nice and easy trail. A tree fell down on the day I went, but the trail wasn’t impacted too much. Some tight spots to be wary of, especially if hiking after dark. River is cold and is running pretty fast, but does not impact getting to the springs too much. Springs felt very nice.

Beautiful hike, dogs loved it. Lots of people at the springs as expected.

You feel AMAZING after sitting in the hot water springs, so highly recommend it! Fairly easy hike. You hike alongside the water all the way up to hot springs.