Fifth Water Hot Springs Trail

Fifth Water Hot Springs Trail is a 4.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Spanish Fork, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

hot springs

These hot springs are a very fun and scenic attraction. There are several pools of varying temperatures and a waterfall. Fifth Water Hot Springs are located in Diamond Fork Canyon, which splits off from Spanish Fork Canyon. Total drive time from Spanish Fork, Utah is about a half hour on paved roads. At the trailhead, there is lots of parking and a bathroom. From the trailhead, follow the trail southeast along the east bank of Sixth Water Creek. Do not cross the foot bridge. After 1.0 mile, you will come to another foot bridge, which you should cross. This is the junction of Sixth Water Creek (from the left) and Fifth Water Creek (from the right). About a mile after the footbridge, the water will turn milky blue and start smelling like sulfur. You're getting close. But don't worry, the Fifth Water Hot Springs don't smell bad. At 1.2 miles from the footbridge, you'll see the lower hot springs on your right. Someone built a rock pool and diverted the hot water into it, so it's pretty deep. Another 20 yards upstream are two other hot springs. One is on the left side of the river about 50 feet downstream from the base of the waterfall, and the other is on the right side of the river about 50 feet downstream from the base of the waterfall.

Loved the view of the waterfalls! It was beautiful. The hike was moderate. It took longer than I expected but it was worth it!

Nice hike, fairly easy. Go early to beat the crowds and to score parking in the lot. We left the springs by 11am as it was getting very busy already, but enjoyed some nice less-busy time earlier in the morning. DON’T park on the street if the lot is full, we passed a cop on the way out ticketing every car on the street. They likely check this area frequently since the lot is small.

This is a great hike with beautiful scenery! The hot spings at the end make it that much better. Going on a weekday is also better, like everyone else said. Also keep in mind there are no changing areas at the springs, and if you are hiking back in the evening it can get a little chilly. The fall colors in september/ october are really gorgeous.

This trail is beautiful and peaceful in spite of it being busy at times. The parking issue needs some fixing, but the trail itself is well worth it.

a lot of people go real early is best

This hike was so much fun! My 4 year old loved it! Just a reminder if you bring things with you take it back. I saw a little bit of trash in the springs and that was not cool y’all we can do better

One of my favorite hikes to do. Easy, and the hot springs make the hike well worth it. Sometimes it can be pretty crowded so be aware there may be limited availability for room in the springs. Beautiful scenery along the way. Enjoy!

beautiful

Fun hike.

This is a great hike if you’re looking for something casual with something nice to enjoy at the end. Definitely recommend going on a weekday to avoid the traffic. Watch out for snakes on the side of the trail! All in all a great trip that took us about 7 hours including the drive to/from SLC.

Crazy amount of people on a Sunday afternoon. Good workout.

BE WARNED
We went up to celebrate our anniversary- there's not enough parking in the lot, so we just joined all the other cars off the side of the road. We enjoyed the springs- a little busy but not awful. We got back to our car, only to have been given a parking ticket along with 30-40 other cars all in a line for "illegally" parking. We apologized to the officer (who was only a few meters in front of us, giving more cars a ticket..). He said its a "huge issue" for them and told us to get off the road. And in my head I'm thinking "then make more parking..... cause this solves nothing!". They come often - especially now that its getting busier and just go all the way down the roads, giving ticket after ticket! I don't know any way around it because the lot only fits like 15-20 cars!! Good luck if you want to try it. We enjoyed the hike and springs, but the parking situation is a joke.

The trail was great and the water was amazing! Just lots of people on a Sunday for sure!

Beautiful and scenic hike. Great for the dogs. Not TOO crowded for a weekday I suppose, at the springs themselves.

Beautiful hike. Plan to take sandals and/or swimsuit and a snack to stay and dip your toes in the springs and hang out for awhile. Very neat, unique place!

really good hike and great views while you hike.

Go early or weekdays to avoid crowds. Clean up after your selves! Be prepared to see naked people ☺️

Really enjoyable hike and great hot springs.

I found someone’s wedding ring on the trail today. If you lost your ring please contact me by email at jbump86@gmail.com. Hopefully whoever lost it sees this.

This was a amazing experience! The hike was easy and beautiful in some places. Me and my family went on a Saturday and it wasn’t as busy as I thought it was going to be. Parking was the only issue because of the amount of people! I would definitely do this again! We got in the hot springs and everything was very laid back and fun!

I love this hike, such a beautiful view and totally worth the moderate hike!

Were spikes needed at all?

@jared, roughly 2.5 miles each way, 5 total.

Is it 5 mile one way or out and back?

Loved this trail! I went on a Monday and it was not heavily trafficked at all. There were people there but I had a couple pools to myself at most times. The springs were incredible and such a treat. The hike itself was not difficult. I would recommend to not wear jewelry in the hot springs, I didn't realize this but the sulfur in the springs oxidized my silver ring. I don't hate it, just unexpected. A little added souvenir if you will. Highly recommend! There was some trash which was unfortunate but it was incredible overall.

Such a fun trail! We got there around 10 this morning, thinking it was early enough to beat the crowds, we were wrong. Parking was crazy. But the hike to the springs was beautiful and easy. We took our two boys 7 & 2. When we got to the springs a nice lady told us where a good spot to sit with kids was! I was surprised by how hot some spots were. But it was amazing! Seriously, such a fun experience. We took a garbage bag and picked up some garbage we saw coming out, but honestly it wasn’t to bad! Also someone before us had said a kid had cut them selves on some glass but we never saw any. Getting out of the parking lot when we got back was kind of a joke. People will just park anywhere even if it boxes someone in. My advice would be to park on the road.

Hiked up there will my toddler in a backpack and, a 6 & 9 year old. Very pretty. My kids did great and LOVED the hot springs.

Went up this morning, broken glass on the trail and in the lowest spring. Removed as much as I could. Would highly advise wearing flip flops or something.

Beautiful and not super difficult trail with a treat at the end of it. We hiked it about a month ago and were amazed by the variety of colors.

Did again yesterday, TRASH EVERYWHERE by the lower falls, towels, clothes, glass alcohol bottles, beer cans, etc. So annoying that people can’t pick up after themselves.