Fifth Water Hot Springs Trail

Fifth Water Hot Springs Trail is a 5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Spanish Fork, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

hot springs

These hot springs are a very fun and scenic attraction. There are several pools of varying temperatures and a waterfall. Fifth Water Hot Springs are located in Diamond Fork Canyon, which splits off from Spanish Fork Canyon. Total drive time from Spanish Fork, Utah is about a half hour on paved roads. At the trailhead, there is lots of parking and a bathroom. From the trailhead, follow the trail southeast along the east bank of Sixth Water Creek. Do not cross the foot bridge. After 1.0 mile, you will come to another foot bridge, which you should cross. This is the junction of Sixth Water Creek (from the left) and Fifth Water Creek (from the right). About a mile after the footbridge, the water will turn milky blue and start smelling like sulfur. You're getting close. But don't worry, the Fifth Water Hot Springs don't smell bad. At 1.2 miles from the footbridge, you'll see the lower hot springs on your right. Someone built a rock pool and diverted the hot water into it, so it's pretty deep. Another 20 yards upstream are two other hot springs. One is on the left side of the river about 50 feet downstream from the base of the waterfall, and the other is on the right side of the river about 50 feet downstream from the base of the waterfall.

Love the hot pots. Great trail. Just FYI, the road was blocked off 4 miles from the trailhead so it ended up being about 12 miles total. So do allow for extra time. Also, go prepared for the trail is super icy, I would recommend some kind of microspikes. All in all, worth it :)

Slushy morning snow freezes over in the late after. Some wheels for the road would speed things up. Trail is nice but a girl broke her ankle today, so think about traction.

Super icy so make sure to bring spikes or some kind of extra traction. The road is closed about 3 miles before the trailhead making this 11 miles round trip. The springs are kind of gross right now because people aren't packing out their trash and there's a lot of build up of moss.

Went on the hike February 8th. It was a long hike from the closed gate to the hot springs. The road was clear today, would have been great to ride a bike to the trail head then hike in. The trail itself is completely iced over. There are a couple of patches where you walk on dirt but the rest has at least an inch or two of ice. I would suggest some sort of ice traction for your shoes. Great hike and it is beautiful. Hot springs are really warm.

Really cool place. Word to the wise... we went in Feb and the winter gate was closed so we had a pretty long (2+mile?) hike to the trailhead. I wish I had brought a bike for that part! Thanks to tips on here (thanks guys

Hit this up this morning. Took 4.75 hours round trip from the gate including soaking for 30 minutes.

Pretty heavy traffic but a beautiful hike!! If you go in the winter, go prepared. The trail is super icy and we wouldn't have made it without yaktrax spikes. Totally worth to relax in the spring at the end.

We did it!! And it was even worth slipping and pulling a groin muscle. It took us 6 hours total from the closed gate to the hot springs and back. We spent about a half hour in the ‘hot tub’ and we had it all to ourselves. Nice because we had to strip naked to change back into our dry clothes. That’s because we headed up at 6 am. We saw about a hundred people on our way back. Now I’m going to go buy me some spikes/crampons. Someone on the trail said to us, pointing at his spikes, “best 15 I ever spent.” Thanks brah.

Fun Hike. Pretty scenery l

Ok so there is a little bit of parking at the gate but the main road to the trailhead is 3.4 miles so in total it was about 12 miles. I brought spikes which were super helpful. I would recommend you bring snacks and extra gloves. It was raining today so we were soaked and cold! It took us 5.5 hours not including sitting In the hot springs. So pretty though! I would do it again

anyone know whether there’s parking where the road is closed off?

It was truly a magical experience. I’m a Cali girl and don’t see snow much. This was a winter wonderland for me. Being able to soak after a 6 mile hike in was so worth it. The scenery was beautiful. What an amazing experience. My boyfriend had this all planned out. It was perfect. He packed in wine and a delicious cheeseboard. We met a couple of cool people. Next time we know to bring in hot coco/coffee and water shoes but I was beyond happy with my cheeseboard and wine. Check out some photos we uploaded.

Hike was great, we started at the winter entrance as the gate was closed for the season. We started around 9:30am and it was still pretty icy, I would recommend microspikes. The total hike was 12 miles round trip and took 6 hours round trip including an hour in the water. Highly recommend bringing snacks, saw some people brought cheese platters and wine, I should have done the same. Worst part was my girlfriend forgot the ramen noodles in the car (2 miles of arguing) after I packed the stove all the way in. At least, we had hot chocolate. It would have been nice to have shoes for in the water as well.

It was a good hike and the hot springs felt amazing

The gate that is closed in the winter is located at 40.07667 -111.41613 and is a 3.6 miles away from the actual trailhead. According to google it takes about 1hr-16min to walk to the trailhead. I doubt this takes into account the ice and snow you may have to slide around on to get there. I'll have to record my times next time I hike it. As of my writing this it was pretty snowy.

Gate is closed. Lots of ice towards the very top but a great hike. Just a reminder, it's about 4-5 hours from the gate, if you want to be able to spend 30min-1.5 hours up at the springs. A lot of people were trying to hike in around 3 without realizing how far it was because Google maps pulls up only the trailhead and half the trail. ..don't be dumb and get stuck in the dark in a snowstorm.

The gate is CLOSED despite complete and utter lack of snow :( today is 12/20

As of 12/12, the road is open all the way to the trailhead. Use caution over the considerable ice and light snow on the last mile or so of the road. A couple treacherous ice sheets in the last 100 yards to the pools but trail is well packed and springs are hot as ever. Cool kids don't go on weekends.

Great Hike!
Anyone know if the gate is closed for snow after the storms last week?