Fifth Water Hot Springs Trail

Fifth Water Hot Springs Trail is a 4.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Spanish Fork, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

hot springs

These hot springs are a very fun and scenic attraction. There are several pools of varying temperatures along with a beautiful waterfall. Be sure to wear shoes when walking between pools as there have been reports of broken glass on the trail. Fifth Water Hot Springs are located in Diamond Fork Canyon, which splits off from Spanish Fork Canyon. Total drive time from Spanish Fork, Utah is about a half hour on paved roads. At the trailhead, there is lots of parking and a bathroom. Please note that parking is limited in the on-site lot. Parking on the street is discouraged as parking tickets are common. From the trailhead, follow the trail southeast along the east bank of Sixth Water Creek. Do not cross the foot bridge. After 1.0 mile, you will come to another foot bridge, which you should cross. This is the junction of Sixth Water Creek (from the left) and Fifth Water Creek (from the right). About a mile after the footbridge, the water will turn milky blue and start smelling like sulfur. You're getting close. At 1.2 miles from the footbridge, you'll see the lower hot springs on your right. Someone built a rock pool and diverted the hot water into it, so it's pretty deep. Another 20 yards upstream are two other hot springs. One is on the left side of the river about 50 feet downstream from the base of the waterfall, and the other is on the right side of the river about 50 feet downstream from the base of the waterfall.

This is a must-see! Bring: towels, a bag for wet clothes, spikes for shoes, dry socks and underwear/bra to change into. Wear: your bathing under your clothes and hiking boots!

The actual road to the trailhead is gated off due to snow. The hike ends up being about 3.8 miles there and 3.8 back. We started at 3 in the afternoon and made it to the springs by 4:30 (about 1.5 hours hike) hopped in the springs for a bit and made our way back in the dark.

The springs have several different pools with varying temperatures. We were in the one closest to the little water fall at the end of the trail and it felt like it was a hundred degrees! We loved it and so glad we had a chance to experience this place.

This trail is super snowy currently and some places are slick and muddy. I highly recommend good hiking boots with plenty of traction. We stopped by Walmart and picked up towels and those over-the-shoe spikes and they really helped. The hike back in the dark was really icy in some spots (thank goodness we packed a headlamp). A few people tagged along with us on the way back and they were in running shoes and slipped and fell down several times.

Very busy!

The trail was snow packed and beautiful! It was easily doable without spikes or snowshoes! The gate was closed 1.5 miles out from the trailhead, but was a beautiful hike! Prepare yourself to have a towel and dry clothes when you get out of the springs!

Beautiful hike!! We did this hike on Christmas Eve and, at that point, the gate was closed adding an additional 1.5 miles to the trailhead. I would highly recommend yak tracks, spikes, snow shoes or something to help with traction. Most the of the hike is icy and I can’t really imagine doing it without them. The hike itself (with spikes) was relatively easy, only a small elevation gain. Pack a lunch, you burn enough calories that you’ll be hungry at the end. The hot springs are beautiful and so much fun! We wore out suits in under our clothes, brought flip flops, towel, and plastic bags to put our suits in on the way back. Highly recommend this hike!

gate is closed today 6.8 miles away from the trailhead.

Very fun hike. We brought our bikes to ride from the gate to trailhead. Our family of 2 adults and 4 kids (ages 8-16) loved it. It was slippery in parts but didn’t require any special equipment besides good hiking shoes. It was a great Christmas Eve family activity!

GATE CLOSED! Beautiful trail with almost exactly three additional miles of road walking before the trailhead since the gate is closed. This actually makes it a nice long hike (for our family of four anyway) and adds some beautiful vistas -- red rocks on one side, snowy mountains on the other -- blue skies in between, at least on the walk back for us today. This trail is ICY and very slippery in several spots. I highly recommend spikes. We didn't have them and busted our butts a few times before we just began sitting down and "jeans sledding" instead. (Super fun activity as well, but slowed down the hike a great deal -- and can't be done uphill.) The hot springs, of course, make this trail. Today we stayed in the water for an hour -- hopping pool to pool in one of the lower areas -- and soaked our aching bums a good long time. :-) Bring water, a snack and definitely spikes for your shoes in the winter -- or at least a hiking pole that you can chop up the iciest spots with or cover with mud and leaves. Go and enjoy!

Probably one of my favorite hikes in Utah. The gate is closed... BUT! It’s not like last year when the gate was closed (13 miles total) now it only adds about 3 miles overall. So it’s about a 7-8 miles total. For the first timers if you want to make the trip faster I’d HIGHLY recommend bringing a couple bicycles and a good lock. You can bike the first mile and a half.There were about 20 or so people up there when we got to the springs at 2 pm. I’d definitely recommend spikes for the hike. Some parts are hard packed snow/ice. You can do it in just shoes tho. Don’t leave your trash up there and be respectful. Also, expect to see some nudity. Welcome to the wilderness

12/4/2018 GATE IS CLOSED

Hike it anyway if you can. So amazing. Super easy hike, not sure why this is rated moderate. We hiked 2 days after a full day of snow and had no problems in regular waterproof hiking boots. There were two small parts that were slightly slick, but really, no big deal to get past. We're from Florida, so not expert snow hikers or anything. So glad we showed up to try this hike after being slightly worried from previous reviews. The path is basically a snow covered sidewalk. And the springs are great!

What a beautiful walk. Did this 27th November. The snow made it all look like a wonderland and even more reason to stay in the hot springs longer when it’s cold outside. Beware we wore walking boots but the trail was very icy and slippery in places so we were sliding and a few falls along the way. Would definitely recommend spikes!! The springs were super warm and was only 3/4 other people there. Would recommend bringing waterproof shoes/sandals just for when your in the pools. The hike isn’t too changing and took us about an hour to get there and 50 mins on the way back.

Hiked Nov. 25, gate was still open and road to the trailhead was fine (with a couple of short icy spots). Awesome hike, but would definitely recommend chains or spikes for your shoes (a hiking pole at the very least). I was wearing chains and I still wiped out a few times on the icy trail, and I saw a lot of people in tennis shoes struggling a LOT to get up and downhill. Don't forget to take off any jewelry before soaking.. I forgot to take my rings off and they turned black from the sulphur almost immediately. Also saw a couple of nude bathers.. they weren't bothering anyone, but just be aware.

Hiked this trail veterans day. The gate was still open. parking lot says three forks tailhead, but it's for fifth hotsprings. there's a restroom in the Parking lot. come early. By 1 the Parking lot is crowded. I started at 10:30 and it was 28 degrees. Beautiful hike. lightly dusted with snow. springs were beautiful, not crowded and warm. trail is easy to find, but I had no cell service so be prepared. enjoy!

Phenomenal. Gate was still open as of 11/12/2018. No need for trekking poles. Small ups and downs, but nothing to terrible.

Great, pretty easy hike in November. It was more crowded than we expected for a Thursday in November. The water felt great. Several cows were in the area when we got to the springs (but not too close to the water, thank goodness!) Parking lot was over full when we got back to the trailhead after 1 pm.

is the gate closed yet?

Super fun trail 100% recommend

Road to trailhead was still open today. Beautiful but busy day. More than enough space in the hot springs for everyone. Excellent moderate hike.

is the road to the trailhead still open? I know they close it once the weather turns then it is closed til spring.

Better than I expected!! Beautiful scenery every step of the way:))

Very good trail, scenic and oh so beautiful. I went to the springs alone. I had a good time soaking, but I think it would be better to have a small group of friends, so I'd suggest you bring some people whose company you enjoy. I went at around 3 pm on Tuesday and there were only about 3 other groups of people so not overcrowded at all. I felt a little awkward soaking alone, but everyone was friendly and didn't seem to mind my dog having a soak as well.

Great trail from the Rays Valley T.H. (east side entrance). Low water flow, but still nice.
Diamond Fork T.H. is open contrary to what this site says.
Soaked for an hour, very enjoyable!

Open today as well! We arrived around 9:30am Sunday morning, only a few cars in the parking lot. We soaked for 3 hours and around 12:30/1:00 people were coming in so quickly. We passed about 10 groups hiking up, and the parking lot was CRAZY FULL.

So advice?

Don’t forget water shoes!
There’s lots of little hot pools above the waterfall.
Arrive early morning.
We saw a few nude people (but it wasn’t bothersome or annoying, they were alone in nature)
A few broken glass bottles which is so annoying because the pool bottoms are soft and stepping onto glass would be so bad.

Diamond Fork road wasn’t closed this morning, had the springs to myself for almost an hour.

i went sunday. the alternate route is from sheeps creek road. about 10-15 miles past diamond fork. once you make the left on sheeps creek road, another 11 miles of windy road. trailhead is on the left. you can see my recording to get an idea of where you start. hope this helps

Steven-how do you get to the alternate trail??

Called the ranger station and diamond fork was still closed, she didn’t know when they would reopen it. So I went and used the alternate trail. Very steep and strenuous compared to the normal trail, but still did it in about an hour each way. Had the whole place to myself, but water levels are low in all the pools, and the river was nice and muddy today. I posted pictures too in case anybody wants to see.

The road was closed as of a couple days ago due to fire related things. If you must know, call the Spanish fork ranger station and inquire if the diamond fork road is open again yet or not.

So the ‘trail’ is closed? Or the gate for the road is closed? I’ve hiked to it when the gate was closed.

Those anyone know if the trail is open now?