New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Fifth Water Hot Springs Trail

Fifth Water Hot Springs Trail is a 4.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Spanish Fork, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.5 miles Elevation Gain: 636 feet Route Type: Out & Back

hot springs

Users have reported that during winter months there is a closed gate on the road leading to the trailhead. This closure adds 1.5 miles each way to the hike. There is a small lot but parking can be an issue. Do not park on the road and pay attention to the parking signs as the Sheriff does issue tickets. These hot springs are a very fun and scenic attraction. There are several pools of varying temperatures along with a beautiful waterfall. Be sure to wear shoes when walking between pools as there have been reports of broken glass on the trail. Fifth Water Hot Springs are located in Diamond Fork Canyon, which splits off from Spanish Fork Canyon. Total drive time from Spanish Fork, Utah is about a half hour on paved roads. At the trailhead, there is lots of parking and a bathroom. Please note that parking is limited in the on-site lot. Parking on the street is discouraged as parking tickets are common. From the trailhead, follow the trail southeast along the east bank of Sixth Water Creek. Do not cross the foot bridge. After 1.0 mile, you will come to another foot bridge, which you should cross. This is the junction of Sixth Water Creek (from the left) and Fifth Water Creek (from the right). About a mile after the footbridge, the water will turn milky blue and start smelling like sulfur, a sign that you're getting close. About a mile from the footbridge, you'll see the lower hot springs on your right. Someone built a rock pool and diverted the hot water into it, so it's pretty deep. Another 20 yards upstream are two other hot springs. One is on the left side of the river about 50 feet downstream from the base of the waterfall, and the other is on the right side of the river about 50 feet downstream from the base of the waterfall.

Highly recommend bringing a ski pole or yak tracks if you possibly can. Obviously it’s doable without, but was greatly appreciated in the super compact/ slick snow. Hot springs are still super hot

icy

This was an awesome experience and my 7 year old and my wife got to come along they had so much fun regardless of the ice and snow and all of our falls I will likely do this again but had to give it 4 stars because of all the trash and pounds of clothing left there if I could ask anything of future hikers reading this is to help take care of this wonderful place. Take your trash out please

icy

This was a great winter hike! The road to the trailhead was closed, which adds 1.5 miles to each leg of the hike, but the road is relatively flat. The trail itself was packed snow. I brought my crampons just in case, but I did not need them. I do recommend hiking boots though. I saw some people in sneakers, which I thought was a little crazy, but they seemed to be ok. The hike is moderately strenuous, but so worth it. The hot springs are amazing. There is a waterfall there, too, so it’s a great setting for a relaxing soak. I went pretty early (around 9:00am), so it wasn’t too crowded, but I saw a lot of people heading up when I was on my way down, so I’m guessing it was pretty crowded in the afternoon. This was on a Saturday in January. Enjoy!

We left the parking lot trailhead around 7:45am on Sunday and got up to the springs around 9:30am. There was probably only 4 or 5 people up there by the time we arrived and we opted to hang out at the second level of springs. Terrain up was packed snow so no snowshoes or microspikes needed. The gate was closed so there was an extra mile of hiking added both ways. Going down we probably saw 50 or so people going up so it was definitely getting more crowded. Beautiful day, very hot springs, recommend an early start to avoid the crowds, even in winter.

Packed snow on 1.5.20. Two icy spots where spikes come in handy. Water is not as blue as usually is but the top pools are very warm.

icy

Great trail. We did this on Christmas Day and the road was closed a mile before the trailhead. It is not a difficult hike, we were spikes just to keep our footing better, but they are not mandatory. Many people did not have them. I’m new to Utah and I did not realize that hot springs had a smell to them. Still very fun and we got in at the top.

icy

Would recommend spikes, the trail is packed well and some steeper portions will have you sliding on your butt. Great hike.

icy

First time here and it was great! Please be sure to wear shoes with good traction or spikes - it’s icy and there are a lot of ups and downs.

icy

LOVE THESE HOTSPRINGS! The gate is closed so it does add an extra mile or so. There is snow but it’s pretty packed down. There is a TON of ice! I fell about 3x and almost fell about 10x. I went with 3 other ppl and they had a similar experience. I had regular hiking shoes but if I were to go back and do this hike DEFINITELY would buy spikes to help with the ice! It gets dark about 5pm and it took us an 1 1/2-2 hrs to hike one way. Sat in the springs for an hour and a half or so and similar way back. Hiking back is down hill so a bit sketchy with the ice. We left around 7pm and had lanterns and head lamps to help see the ground. Had a lot of fun overall!

This is one of my favorite winter hikes, I do it every year. Trail was very snowy, but packed down quick with all the hikers. Since the road is closed it was a 7.6 mile hike round trip. 5 hours total with soaking time. If it’s your first time, bring a swim suit and water shoes. Enjoy!

Road closed about a mile and a half before the parking lot. still walkable and very fun, just plan for some extra walking!

icy

Absolutely gorgeous springs to explore! The only downside is such disrespectful people have left clothes/trash scattered among the rocks/springs. Also be aware that there were already 17 people at the springs by 9:30 on a Monday morning! Gate officially closed as soon as we left today so plan to hike a little longer to get there. I’d say it’s worth it!

Very fun little hike. Hiked it at about 11pm. It was still pretty busy up at the springs, but not too crowded. There was no snow on the trail yet, but it was pretty muddy in some spots.

Went in the early aft on Fri & parking lot wasn’t too bad. The trail was decent with no snow & very minimal mud. Went past the pools to check out the campsites & on the way back, the 10 or so people multiplied to around 25-30.

closed