Learn more

Fiery Furnace and Surprise Arch

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(608)
Arches National Park
;

Fiery Furnace and Surprise Arch is a 1.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Moab, Utah that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, rock climbing, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Length 1.7 mi Elevation gain 436 ft Route type Loop

Description
Waypoints (0)
Contact
Getting There

A permit is required to hike in this area. It can be purchased for $6 at the Arches National Park Visitors Center. Buying several days in advance is suggested as this is an extremely popular trail.

By Mail Arches National Park PO Box 907 Moab, UT 84532-0907 By Phone Visitor Information (435) 719-2299 Headquarters (435) 719-2100

Directions from Main Park Entrance: Drive 14.2 miles northward along the park road to the Fiery Furnace Viewpoint.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (608)
Photos (417)
Recordings (466)
Completed (1329)
A H
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 08 2020
Hiking

This is my daughter's favorite hike in Arches and it is amazing, but unfortunately the national park isn't issuing permits right now. We were in Arches on June 8 and the rangers outside the visitors center said that no one is allowed to enter Fiery Furnace right now. Neither self or ranger lead hikes are allowed. As of June 29, the NPS website still says that the Fiery Furnace is closed until further notice and "no ranger-led hikes nor permits are available."

Mathew Fiegleman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jun 03 2020
Hiking

I'm a man in his late 20s, physically in shape, not super athletic. Enjoy tough hikes. This wasnt too challenging and it was SUPER fun. Very secluded and spooky!

Valerie Barton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri May 08 2020
HikingOff trailScramble

My adult children talked me into waiting in line to see if we could snag 3 of 45 permits available to hike Fiery Furnace. As you can see we got the permits. This is a labyrinth of narrow sandstone canyons where the official trail is not well marked! My biggest fear was getting in the maze and not being able to find our way out! The most difficult hiking I've done, but what an incredible experience! Finding the arch was so exciting and mesmerizing. Lots of scrambling over rocks. We did have one fall and get scraped up but we had appropriate first aid kit. This is a one in a lifetime experience!

Sarah J
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Apr 27 2020
Hiking

3/5/2020 WE GOT THE PERMIT!! We were able to get to the park early to get our permit for the day. We watched a short video and were sent on our way. The trail was marked with tiny white / brown arrows which blended in with the rocks so you really have to pay attention. Being from the south this scenery was like nothing I’d seen before! And Finding All the hidden arches within this hike was like having an Easter egg hunt! Moab is beautiful. The fiery furnace was checked off my bucket list. All I can say is get the permit and GO!

Austin Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Apr 10 2020

One if the most fun hikes we've done as a family. Our kids love it! We've done this hike twice, just make sure you plan way ahead and get permits as soon as you get to Moab because this trail fills up quickly. Probably have to get a permit several days in advance.

biri biri
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarTue Mar 24 2020
Hiking

I know getting lost is kind of the point of this trail but it pissed me off. It was the arrows, even finding some the arrows was no help at all and it annoyed me. Some of the arrows are just stuck into loose sand on a pole and you can easily just pick up the pole and point it in another direction, I almost feel like someone actually did this because the arrows were pointing me absolutely nowhere. Anyway, got lost first for a bit first near the start, which was fine, did some exploring, eventually after exploring some cool dead ends I made it to the area of kissing turtle arch. The arrows here pointed me to a couple narrow little cracks, tried both and they obviously weren't the right path and were a bit tricky to navigate out of, probably shouldn't have gone in in the first place, damned arrows. Anyway, after exploring for at least another hour looking for a way out I couldn't find any easy way and I ended up kind of sliding/falling down a steep boulder in an effort to not have to go back the way I came. I got out and then I tried to look for surprise arch for a bit but I think I was already on the wrong side so I didn't find it. Left pretty annoyed and also feeling like an idiot for doing a couple of pretty dangerous maneuvers instead of just turning back. Beautiful place but not as spectacular as other canyons and rock formations in the region.

Alicia Filley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Mar 10 2020
HikingRockyScramble

Highly recommended! Be prepared to scramble, climb, jump, and get lost. So much to explore. Allow 4 hours to see everything!

View Alicia's Recording
Adam Cowie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Mar 06 2020
Hiking

Our family favorite hike in the park! We waited in the morning outside the visitors center for permits, watched a short video with orientation, and paid for the back-country permit for the family. So worth it. It's great to explore and just go get purposely 'lost' in a dead-end slot canyon! Lots of scrambling needed. Definitely a moderate rated hike and I would rate moderately-difficult to hard for some places where scrambling over rocks and through slot canyons is necessary. Trying to find the 'arrow' guide points in the canyon became a fun game. Our 12 yr old and older teens did great. Mom & Dad survived too.

Austin Richards
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Mar 02 2020
HikingOff trail
View Austin's Recording
Jeffrey Berkosky
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Feb 28 2020
FeeOff trailRocky

Beautiful. Don't miss Surprise Arch. Hike trail counterwise. Without AllTrails, would have turned around as trail even with arrows difficult to follow.

Dottie Pratt
HikingRockyScrambleSnow

One of my new favorite places in the world. The required orientation was interesting and crowded, but when we got to the trail, few others were starting at the same time, so groups were pretty well spread out. Finding the arrows was like a little scavenger hunt, but most of the offshoot dead-end trails we explored were well worth the time spent away from the established loop, and it was easy to find our way back. A few places had to squeeze through narrow passageways, and implement some canyoneering moves to navigate when the trail went between two a rock wall and a boulder and the ground was unreachable. So much fun! We started around 9 AM and finished close to noon. It was starting to get hot, so glad to be done before the sun was directly overhead, though it was a little difficult finding the correct way out. The entire experience was so worth the $6 permit. Can't wait to go again.

Kyle Shaw
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Feb 21 2020
Hiking

My group chose to get the permit to go explore on our own. I’m so glad we did. We used our phones to GPS drop where the car was parked, then walked in and got lost for a bit. We found caves with sand and intricate arches. All sorts of crazy tunnels and places to explore. It truly felt out of this world. We were all alone in this confusing rock maze. Some of my favorite hikes are mysterious and confusing. This is both of those in large amounts, and I walked out of it feeling like I barely saw enough of it, and that I saw parts of it not many people ever get to see. We got lost, then used the GPS to get to the car. Worth it!!

Joey Bail
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Feb 16 2020

Quick hike with good views.

Connie C
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Feb 16 2020
HikingOff trailRockyScramble
Chris Brosky
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Feb 15 2020
HikingScramble

Awesome trail with awesome views! Trail finding and getting lost are all part of the fun.

View Chris's Recording
Kayleigh Chase
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Dec 22 2019
Hiking

This was the most fun trail I’ve done ever! Please do explore the dead ends!

View Kayleigh's Recording
Daniel McNally
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Dec 10 2019
HikingFeeRockyScramble

Best trail in Arches IMO. Pretty easy to follow, keep your eyes peeled for the arrows. Do explore all the dead ends. We saw about 4 arches during the trip. We did get turned around in 2 spots, but it was a good thing, because it made you use your head and negotiate your steps properly instead of mindlessly following a well trodden trail. It took us roughly 3.5 hours. The all trails map recording was a little wonky, it looks like we were drunk. I've been hiking since I was a kid and I'm 42 now. Out of the 100's of hikes I've done this has to be in the top 5.

View Daniel's Recording
Benjamin LaDue
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Dec 07 2019
HikingScramble

You will probably get lost if you have never been here before. Don’t worry you will find your way out! The loop say 1.7 but we were in there for 3 hours and 4 miles loads of fun at every wrong turn! Do it and your cool! 6 dollar permit they only hand out 75 a day. Even in December there is a line before the visitor center opens.

View Benjamin's Recording
Sarah Child
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Dec 01 2019
HikingMuddyRockyScramble

Great adventure! The markers make it markedly easier to make it around. Go explore the dead end routes.

View Sarah's Recording