Fiery Furnace and Surprise Arch

Fiery Furnace and Surprise Arch is a 2.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Moab, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

A permit is required to hike in this area. It can be purchased at the Arches National Park Visitors Center. Buying several days in advance is suggested as this is an extremely popular trail.

Fun diverse hike. Well worth it.

Wonderful hike!! I had a little bit of difficulty finding the trail a few times but I had my All Trails map and it was very helpful!! It helped me know when I was on trail and if I was going in the wrong direction!!

We tackled this hike on Christmas Day. Had the whole place to ourselves and it was an amazing experience! Not icy at all, and we only got lost once just like many of the people commenting below...I bet in the same spot! Did anyone else get frustrated and almost climb down that 50-ft crevasse? Definitely do NOT need to do any death defying leaps, the correct pathway is very safe. Highly recommend for families or hikers looking for a one-of-a-kind trail.

Awesome

I did this amazing hike with my 12 & 13 year old boys. It took us a little over 2 hours. We loved all the rock scrambles and wrong turns. This is a must do hike in Arches

Well worth the effort! Fantastic views and surprised at every turn.

Do NOT miss an opportunity to hike this trail! It’s a total mind-bender and we both agreed it was the coolest hike we’ve ever done. Took us 3 hrs with a few intentional off-trail explorations (and one or two not so intentional ones, but we never got to far off track.) Start off reasonably early and go counter-clockwise. Bring a lunch - there’s a lot of cool spots to just hang out for a bit.

Our favorite hike in Arches. Need a permit. We felt like we had the place to ourselves!!! Lots of dead ends. Know your way. Beautiful views, hiking on fins and narrow passages. Loved this!!!

Fiery Furnace is a playground for adults! There are plenty of spots to squeeze through, scramble over, crawl under and just be amazed by the geography.

We hiked the counter clockwise route, and even with the arrows provided by NPS as a guide, you really need to pay attention and think you're way through. Definitely not a place where you can just wander without paying attention. We got off track twice, which led to more exploration as we reconnoitered options.

The limited number of back country passes issued each day make this hike even more enjoyable since you will probably not encounter more than a few folks.

best hike in arches! this is like a giant maze/playground for adults, you could spend all day in here so come prepared! super fun but easy to get lost, happened a few times. barely anyone else hiking this area due to permit requirements, bought mine on the same day. this is a must do!

Loved it!

We did this in 3 hours and got lost for a short while but nothing worrying. We are senior citizens (64 and 63) and active and loved this hike and saw families and young adults going on their own. We recommend this if you are hikers and want to do more than tourist things. Bring lots of water and a compass helped also.

This is a don’t-miss hike! We hiked this today from 11 AM to 1 PM at 93°, and though it was hot, there was frequent shade on the trail and an occasional nice breeze. About half of the time we were at least mildly uncertain as to whether we were on the arrow-directed trail, but that was much of the fun. Following the dead ends brought us to some beautiful canyon scapes.

Great hike! Great full body workout scrambling over rocks and up and down crevasses. My daughter and I hiked this during mid afternoon and it was hot, so bring plenty of water. Saw only 3 other hikers on trail and they were temporarily disoriented but was able to help get them reoriented. Trail not well marked so some exploring required and this is part of what makes the trail so appealing. Great feeling to find an awesome great arch on the trail and not a soul is around but you! Highly recommend this trail. Permit is required.

If you go to Arches and you aren’t just a tourist then GO DO THIS TRAIL!!!! We got to the visitors center right at 7:30am when it opened so we were the first people out on the trail and it was amazing. Maybe one of my favorite trails I’ve ever hiked. We got lost for almost an hour but just laughed to whole time because the scenery was too gorgeous to be upset. Please do yourself a favor and hike this trail!!!

We did this hike with Ranger Vicky (she is really brilliant) and the hike was amazing.

If you have good knees, no fear of heights/cramped spaces and don’t mind scrambling up and down over boulders and squeezing through small spaces do yourself a favour and get the permit to do this hike!!! Best $6 we ever spent (per person). Full body workout, such an adventure and the best sense of solitude that we have had in Arches. We got lost for about 30min at one point but that’s half the fun (just keep retracing your steps to look for the trail marker). Follow advice of other reviewers and take the time to find surprise arch. Set off 3 hrs before sunset and only saw one other person on the trail - amazing! We got out just after sunset. Honestly can’t recommend this enough. If you are super worried about getting lost consider a ranger tour - apparently around 15 people per group.

Great shady trail with a lot of surprises and places to explore. A must do hike. We went counter clockwise on the trail. Make sure you find the arch located in the area before the true steps in an area marked dead end. Arrows on trail are a little (lot) misleading at times making exploring easy. Have fun!

Don't miss out on the surprise arch. It's near the end at the last dead end sign before you go down the man made stairs. Have fun on this awesome hike!

If you want adventure this one is for you. We hiked a total of 7.3 miles. Unbelievable opportunity to blaze your own trail. Get the permit ahead of time and go on your own.

This trail is definitely worth your time, and different from most things that you will do. We took about 2 1/2 hours, with at least 1 real detour off the trail because we missed the marker. But just remember where the last one is you saw, and you can get back on the trail. There are a lot of very small spaces to fit through, and man is it fun.

Such a neat experience! Highly recommend getting the permit and doing it on your own instead of a guided tour. There’s just something special about getting lost in the Fiery Furnace! Make sure to download the trail before you go, it can be super helpful at times.

Got to the visitor center on Saturday and grabbed up the last permit for Monday morning. Just a magical experience with surprises around ever corner, and lots opportunities to get lost in this beautiful maze. Lots of climbing over boulders and crawling through tight spaces. Took my family about an hour, but if you have time, you could extend your adventure in the maze.

Great hike! We did it with my brother (who works at Arches) as our guide. Nice shade for most of the way in the canyons and fins. Lots of arches to see with fun scrambles over rock. Glad for gripping shoes.

Awesome hike! We did this on our own and had a blast! We took several wrong turns but always got back to the trail. The trail is marked, you just have to look for the arrows. We completed it in less than 2 hours, even with our wrong turns. I think we did more climbing and scrambling than hiking but that was part of the fun. Definitely will do this again!

Devils Garden was amazing. This trail is too I. It’s own way. More bouldering. Definitely more primitive. Not for the faint of heart. All Trails made it easy. Could have spent more time but we were on a time crunch. Go counterclockwise for an easier hike.

amazing. don't forget permits are required, you can get your permit at the visitor center

This was my favorite hike of my trip so far! I loved how you could get a permit and just explore. Not being tied down to a group tour was wonderful. My husband and I just took our time exploring the different crevices and canyons inside. Make sure to bring sunblock (there are some portions where you are hiking in the sun), some snacks, and plenty of water. The temperature inside is much cooler than I expected and was nice in the shade with the wind.

Amazing trails with a ton to see! Very beautiful. I love how you can kind of just roam through the many different canyons.

My favorite hike! It was beautiful and very shady. So interesting and the scrambling was a lot of fun