Fiery Furnace and Surprise Arch

Fiery Furnace and Surprise Arch is a 1.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Moab, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September.

old growth

You will need a permit to hike in this area.

Loved it. We did not need the app truthfully . There are arrows along the way to follow. If it says dead end, TAKE IT! You will see some great stuff. Then just back track. We spent about 3 hours. We took our time. This is a lot of scrambling and a ton of fun.

Incredible hike! Didn't do it with a ranger and I'm glad we didn't... ranger stops too often. Got a bit lost but not bad. Great adventure!

This was a fun and amazingly beautiful trail.

My AllTrails app said we hiked 2.5 miles, 630 ft total elevation gain, 46 minutes moving, in 2:36 total time. We did the ranger led hike which meant a lot of stopping, a LOT of ranger talk (which was varied and somewhat interesting for the ranger that led our hike...ymmv), and a lot of slow hiking as we had a group of 15 and we had to navigate some narrow spots and do a bit of psuedo-stemming. I'll call it butt stemming or seated stemming, but it was slow going regardless. VERY cool and interesting hike to be IN the fins and canyons. Very beautiful. Since we were with a ranger we were able to relax and enjoy the hike without worrying about getting lost, which is a very real possibility. The park service added arrows and dead end signs to help those going it alone navigate the maze, but we still ran across lost hikers. One last thing, we got the rentor to buy us tickets a week in advance. Polling the other members on our hike, seemed like you needed to get tickets in person at least 4 days in advance. This is for a 2017 hike where you cannot buy tickets online, only in person at the visitor center. This may change for 2018 and beyond.

Did it for the first time with a ranger. Glad I did. Would be difficult to navigate without an experienced person. Such a great hike with some challenges.

Fantastic hike/scramble. Beautiful and surprising around every corner. Take water and pack a lunch and go in the cool of the morning!

This has to be one of the top five trails I have ever hiked. Required the use of all of my abilities. Slot canyons, bolder climbing, crawling through tight spaces, steep areas, steep decent's, and close calls. All worth it. You must have a permit. I would suggest being on the trail by no later than 7:30 this time of the year. This hike is not for the faint of heart. The sights and physical challenges make it all worth it.

Literally the equivalent of an adult playground. Make sure not to stray to far from the main trail or you will get lost near the middle of the hike.