Fernwood Cabin is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Layton, Utah that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Salt Lake City: Head north on I-15, then take exit 326 (US 89 North). Drive 6.7 miles and turn right onto Valley View Drive (Valley View is a diagonal road traveling in the same general direction as US 89). Drive 0.6 mile and turn right on Fernwood Road. Fernwood Road has several curves. Drive 1 mile to the picnic ground entrance at the end of the road. The trail starts north of Fernwood Picnic Area on Firebrick Road on the east side of the road.

Good hike not to known. Lots of sun and no shade. I have hiked it many times. The best time is in the fall, less sun, less heat and no snakes

Did not realize that this was on the site. It use to be a little secret that not many people could find. This is a fun place to visit.

Good hike up to the cabin and back. Definitely a cooler weather hike. Not sure about winter but fall and spring would be delightful. Tons of sun exposure so bring plenty of water and sunscreen. The only relief from the sun was around the cabin. The rattlesnakes were also out in force today! Please take caution with kids and pets. The hike gets a little steep in spots with lots of loose rocks where footing can be an issue. I am glad I didn’t bring my black lab with me. Too much sun and so little water available. I’ll be back once the cool weather settles back during the late fall.

Thursday, July 27, 2017

If you're looking for the Fernwood Cabin (not to be confused with Adam's Cabin, which is in the same general area, but accessed primarily via the Adam's Canyon trail head), then this is the ideal location to begin your hike. It can be accessed via other routes that connect to this trail, but for the sake of preventing confusion, I recommend beginning at the Fernwood Recreation parking lot. I knew this cabin existed, I just had a somewhat difficult time finding any solid info online regarding it as the single in-an-out destination alone, by itself. About halfway up to Thurston Peak, there is a trail that veers off to the right into some trees. I missed it entirely, climbing an extra 1000+ft. before realizing I must've passed it already lol (d'oh!). On the way back down, I watched more closely for any signs of the cabin, and sure enough... had I been paying closer attention in the first place, I probably would have noticed it before. Depending on the season, you can see the green roof of the cabin peeking through the trees. It's a pretty run down little cabin, in fact its completely missing an entire wall. Kinda creepy, but still super cool none the less. This trail is very steep, particularly once you've passed the cabin (this is why I gave it 4 instead of 5 stars - I am not a fan of super steep lol). It goes without saying that bringing plenty of water is a must, especially during the afternoon/evening hours. Also, beware of rattlesnakes! This trail is riddled with them. However, if you don't bother them, they're just fine with your presence and won't bite you if you just walk around them (imagine that!). Again, not a favorite of mine, but it's one that I can now cross off the bucket list.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Great hike! not too hard. I'm giving it 4 stars because there was a lot of bikers. I had my dog with me so we had to stop and get out of the way a lot to let them pass. Other than that, beautiful hike! You can see the Great Salt Lake the whole time.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Excellent for trail running and gorgeous scenery!!

Friday, October 07, 2016

Good hike for the fall and spring months because it is mostly exposed, which would be miserable during the summer months. It has many climbs and a few steep hills which would be difficult for winter snowshoeing or even with crampons. Some cyclist on the trail. You can hear the highway noises crisply (hwy89) but throughout some of the hike you can also hear the river. Overall it was a nice hike.

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Great hike!! Loved the scenery. I will definitely do the hiking again.

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Great views. Fun trail, but it is getting overgrown. It takes some searching at times to stay on the trail. Not a big deal with very little chance of getting lost, but be aware.

Monday, May 30, 2016

Fun for the kids ages 3-6 beautiful and tons of awesome flowers!!!

Sunday, May 01, 2016

Nice trail, I would say it was "hard"..

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Nice.

Saturday, November 14, 2015

great trail. awesome views.

Sunday, June 02, 2013

A nice network of trails that lay between the Kays Creek North Fork and South Fork. Some areas can be slippery due to steep inclines and loose gravel. Much of the trail does not have cover and is in direct sunlight all day so bring head cover and lots of water. The trail us used by hikers and trail runners and its proximity to housing makes it a high use trail network.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The views are great, the trial is open country for the first mile.

Thursday, September 28, 2017