Learn more

Ferguson Canyon View Point

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(487)
Twin Peaks Wilderness

Ferguson Canyon View Point is a 3.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,459 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

Loved this trail. It's a bit rocky and slippery so coming down was a little sketchy for my fiance but I really want to go up again. I will go all the way up to the meadow when I go by myself sometime later. The creek is close to the trail in many areas, my dog was very happy about that. The rocks are beautiful. I didn't see any rock climbers but they use this trail often. You can see the holds and hooks in the Cliff-side set up for them. A fellow All-Trails user recommended this trail and I'm super thankful that she did. We spotted a deer walking on the hillside right below us. overall a great experience. One last thing I have to say: PICK UP YOUR DAMN DOG CRAP BAGS!!!!. IF I CAN DO IT, EVERYONE ELSE CAN TOO. Lol. Thanks.

Very pretty. The hike up is unique from some of the typical canyons around the valley. The end destination for the viewpoint is 1.7 miles up and feels much longer than that. The moderate rating is accurate. Parking is very limited at the trailhead so start early on weekends and holidays.

Saw a large snake about 1/4 of the way up today on the left side of trail.

I hike this almost daily. I am a dog owner. This trail requires you keep your dog on a leash. There is a $50 ticket for not having your dog on a leash. Even worse I recently read a blog where people are carrying mace to spray dogs with if they approach them while hiking and not on a leash. Protect your dogs! For the love please pick up after your dogs. Like I said I hike this almost daily and I see the same poop bags sitting there for days!!! We hike with my cute little niece who loves nature! Yesterday we put her blanket down and didn’t realize it was on a nice large pile of poo. So thank you irresponsible dog owner with a large dog that just left that right there. We all want to enjoy this trail. Please if you don’t have a bag with you ask another dog owner. More than likely they will gladly give you one we are all sharing the same trail. For those of you leaving the bags along the way because you don’t want to carry it because of smell. Oh man I totally get that. I don’t even like walking by the smell! Amazon sells a reusable smell proof dog waste container just for us hikers, dog walkers or those of you with multiple doggos. $24.99 worth every penny! Chances are you may not remember to pick up those baggies. Even if you do there are still people hiking behind you and coming back before you that makes the trail less enjoyable for others. There was so much poop on the trail yesterday it was ridiculous. There is a trash can located on the walkway at the beginning of the trail. Please be responsible. Just FYI we had 2 snakes cross our paths yesterday. Luckily the rattlesnake let us know he was there and the other one was a very large gopher snake.

It was a beautiful trail with a great lookout point. However, we never made it to the end of the trail because there was little to no trail markings. We were very unsure if we even went the correct way to begin with

Beautiful views! Trail is lush and follows the water. Climbed out on to the rock to watch the sunset. Would go again and again!

Gorgeous scenery the whole way. It's surprisingly difficult for the elevation gain. I compare this hike to Jack's Mail Box and Mount Van Cott, but Ferguson felt like the hardest of the three. Ferguson is definitely worthwhile. A large portion of the trail is shaded making it a good summer hike. Parking can be brutal because there aren't very many spots and the neighborhood requires a permit.

Make sure to follow the stream. We got off a bit and did some extra scrambling. Very slippery loose gravel on the way down. Fun crossing the stream and really pretty view from the end of the trail.

Climbers everywhere on the way up, but once you get beyond the first 1.3 miles it was empty! Midday on a Saturday and had the trail damnnear to ourselves! Lots of shade and a bit steep, so be careful coming down. Awesome view at the top! Great trail for a dog thanks to the shade and streams.

The trailhead parking lot was completely full on a Thursday evening at 5:30. Had to park down the neighborhood a bit, but the trek to the trailhead takes 5 minutes, though it is in full sun. Nearly got lost a few times. You cross the stream at several points; eventually got to a crossing I didn’t think I could make without getting my shoes wet and turned around. This was nearly to the end of this trail. Took me an hour and small change to go up; took me just 20 minutes to come back down. Slipped several times due to loose earth, so be careful. Very rocky, lots of scramble. They warn for rattlesnakes so I was a little nervous but I didn’t see any. Lots of climbers, but then I had the trail to myself going up. Passed lots of hikers with dogs off leash on the way back. The views right at the water tower are fantastic.

Nice view. Kind of sketchy to get to the look out. Anyways I really enjoyed it! Have fun be safe. I liked hearing the water during the hike too.

Beautiful trail, not at all exhausting. Something that you can definitely try with your kids. Make sure you have proper hiking shoes ON, as its rocky and some parts are slippery too.

Love this trail! Parts of the trail are covered by the stream (early june) but it wasn't too bad. It gets really steep and rocky so I only went about 3/4s of the way. Not too much foot traffic, lots of shade.

Trail was amazing with gorgeous views. Planned to go all the way stormy mountain, but it was way too overgrown and buggy to be worth it. Climbing on the rocks was fun even without rock climbing gear. Came across a rattlesnake on our way down near the rock climbers . We were moving fast and got warned with a nice rattle!

Love this hike, but it’s steep. The trail is almost entirely on the shade which is awesome. Right now, the stream is pretty full, so you have lots or crossing to do.

Very, very steep. More of a hard hike. A lot of it was just walking on rocks in the stream. Very pretty, but takes a very long time to get to the top. As well as trail path isn’t always clear.

Beautiful trail- very lush right now, lots of wildflowers and lots of water crossing. We started around 8:45 and it was shaded the whole way up. Steep and rocky in some parts but was very manageable. Our pup had a blast and the lookout was beautiful!

Good, uphill climb to the top. Loose, steep gravel on the way down near the bottom where most of the traffic is. Some portions of the trail are wet from river runoff.

Gorgeous hike! If we had come earlier in the year parts of it would have been washed out but really fun hike! It’s really good for dogs too! Highly recommend!

Trail is hard to keep track of. Lots of walking in the water too. Couldnt make it to the end; very rocky near top. The trail is really loose a lot of the way making it hard to get footing and getting down is hard.

Beautiful this time of year. Green. Lots of water. Not quite mosquito season like it gets later in the summer. Beautiful views up top. Although I followed the dotted trail line on this app, it took me on a ridiculous route. Don’t follow the dotted line — it’s super steep and slippy. Three steps for every foot gained, lots of backsliding. Stay on the red line. I plan to come back soon and get up to the summit. Too gassed today after my off trail shenanigans.