Learn more

Ferguson Canyon Trail to Upper Meadow is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 4.3 mi Elevation gain 2,303 ft Route type Out & Back

Snow

Description
Waypoints (0)
Getting There

Ferguson Canyon is a short steep canyon located immediately south of the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon. The lower canyon is enclosed by granite walls popular with rock climbers, while the upper canyon contains open meadows.

Turn left at the stoplight at 7800 South and Wasatch Blvd. Follow Honeywood Cove Drive to Top-of-the World Drive, turn left, and then turn right on Timberline Drive (7780 South)

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (493)
Photos (647)
Recordings (373)
Completed (1373)
Mary Wood
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 3, 2020
Hiking

Hands down the hardest hike I’ve done in Utah. We were backpacking on the hottest day of the year, so the 30 lbs extra weight and 103 temps could have been part of it. But after the pleasant, shady beginning that follows the stream for a while, it was mentally very difficult to find motivation to keep going on the unrelenting stairmaster, overgrown, slippery gravel trail. Oh, and I brushed up against stinging nettle and we had to walk through a gauntlet of hornets (about 100, swarming). We saw three rattlesnakes in the upper area and I was so tired at 4 miles that we camped at the first possible spot off the trail. It was a sleepless night on rocky ground, but the sunset view over the valley was stunning. Glad I got to see that view, but this is a hike I only need to do once in my lifetime.

James Bjorkman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 27, 2020
HikingOver grown

Go to Ferguson, but don’t go to “the meadow”. Either go to the view point (turn left at the fork) or keep going higher up the mountain. It’s tough slogging through the woods below “the meadow” (yes, I keep putting it in quotes bc it’s not really a meadow) and nothing to see when you get there. But again, lower Ferguson is beautiful and the view point is great.

Jeff McMullin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 16, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful. Great views. Some rocky steep parts. Worth it.

Shaunak Sontakke
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 12, 2020
HikingBugs

I liked it very much except for the bugs.

Teresa Loomis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 25, 2020
Scramble

full disclosure, its June I'm 61 female from Florida I loved this hike ya sometime you couldn't tell exactly where it was but I understand if you follow all trails you won't have a problem. I made it to the last creek crossing and then I thought I'd better come back because you better have some good hiking boots on are you will slip going down . just be careful don't ever do more than you feel you can. I loved it nice and shaded thought it was a beautiful hike. I've been hiking every day for 2 weeks and it was one of my favorites

Morley Baker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 20, 2020
Hiking

Super fun hike. Not many people go beyond the first 1.5 miles. Really sweet views on top. Stays wooded and cool majority of the way. Highly recommend.

Shellee Hoag
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 15, 2020
HikingOver grownRockyScramble

Hard work for little reward. If you enjoy bushwhacking while on a slippery stair master, then this is the hike for you! Made it to the “meadow”...not sure who deemed this a meadow. Without signs, and the many side trails, made it hard to follow. Download the map and refer to it frequently. Views are minimal as you are in the trees most of the way. The creek is nice and provides cool air. The elevation gain wore us out. More so due to the loose gravel and slippery trail MOST of the way! The trail towards the top is extremely overgrown so wear long pants unless you want scars.

Abbey Ostrander
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 13, 2020
Hiking

One of my favorite hikes! This one is short and steep but worth it!

Diane Roberts
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 7, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

This trail is rated hard, and for good reason. It's a beautiful trail, and starts out with a pretty easy walk. But that doesn't last long. This was not heavily traveled today, so I didn't have the luxury of following other people. Thank goodness for the all trail map! Trail is not well defined, and you can get off the trail very easily. You will be walking in water (I crossed the river twice) and climbing over large boulders. To say I was disappointed is an understatement. I was almost to the top, and thought I'd better turn around. Slippery, Sandy, Wet Terrain! I did make it to 6,177 feet, climbing a hard vertical climb. Parking is in a neighborhood and has very limited spaces. No street parking.

Joseph Field
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 6, 2020
HikingScramble
View Joseph's Recording
Samuel Schulthies
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 31, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful trail that opened up once we got into the canyon. Plenty of space to roam, explore, and have fun if going to the end of the trail isn’t your thing. From what we saw, most people didn’t go to the end. Lots of rock climbers too. It’s a difficult one, but it is shorter than some other hikes. Lots of steep terrain and rocks to scramble over. Shallow river crossings here and there. We ran out of water as it became more arduous than we thought, so bring plenty. I had 58 fluid ounces and ran out as we were heading back from the end of the trail. You will get sunburned at the end or the beginning if you’re not wearing sunblock, so keep that in mind. Most of it is shaded and cool. Parking lot is incredibly limited and parking nearby is prohibited, so you’ll have to walk a bit to the trailhead if the lot is full. It only adds an extra 1/4 of a mile I’d say. Some hikers wear masks when walking past others, so that’s a good idea to remember. Gorgeous area, for sure will return later.

Jim Quay
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 20, 2020
Hiking

Wonderful hike with lots of wildflowers and creek crossings. There's many areas with small falls, A few areas were flooded from runoff, but they made the hike more enjoyable. Well worth the effort

Whit Gardner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 20, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful area! The trail is straight forward till you get lower near the creek. Only hiked for about 1.5 miles due to the trail being washed out. This is also a great area for climbing and is perfect for summer climbing since the majority of the routes are shaded. Dog friendly, and my dog Goose loves the water.

Katie Flores
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 10, 2020
Hiking

Only giving 4 stars due to difficulty keeping on the trail as you often found yourself in the creek or hiking up a steep mountain that was NOT the trail Overall this an amazing hike! You get a little of everything. Loved the look out point. We ended up stopping about 2.4 up when the trail became overgrown but found an amazing large granite rock to take the views in on! Will definitely do this one again!

H Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 7, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

Lots of scrambling along the beautiful river. After the waterfall the trail gets really exposed and wasn’t very pretty. We criss-crossed the trail as we lost it in the snow and thought the end (according to AllTrails) was really anti-climatic. After we turned around, a guy told us that there’s a beautiful meadow with aspens above the spot where we turned around. The hike was also more like 8 miles round trip. There’s a good view of the city at one part but the best parts of this hike are up to the waterfall.

Christopher Walker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 6, 2020
HikingOff trailRocky

Took a wrong turn and ended up hiking along a deer trail. It a friendly hike for humans. Very rocky and steep in many places. Good hike if you like a challenge.

View Christopher's Recording
Vero Ortiz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 6, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

Hermoso lugar para hiking me fascinó este lugar

Dan Steele
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 5, 2020
HikingRocky

Very steep and there was some water on the trail. But it was very green! And fun

View Dan's Recording
Alana Babington
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 2, 2020
HikingScramble

Awesome trail right by water the entire climb up. Ended up just walking in the stream on the way down. Wonderful views!

Haleigh DeBruyn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 26, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

I like the trail itself for the most part, but unless you get there early or are lucky enough to snag one of 10 parking spots, you risk having your car towed because the street parking is all permit only. Dogs on leash. It’s a harder trail, and i had some difficulty with the loose gravel slipping under my feet.

Jessica Payne
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 25, 2020
HikingBugsRocky
View Jessica's Recording
Amber Forman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 9, 2020
Nature trips

I took my 10 year old and 8 year old twins on this trail today. SO much fun. We printed off a nature scavenger hunt and played in the water the whole way up. we only made it to the Twin Peaks sign but it was A BLAST! I will be returning without kids, to finish the rest.