Ferguson Canyon Trail to Upper Meadow

Ferguson Canyon Trail to Upper Meadow is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

cave

Ferguson Canyon is a short steep canyon located immediately south of the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon. The lower canyon is enclosed by granite walls popular with rock climbers, while the upper canyon contains open meadows.

Today, the trail was gorgeous and cool at around 7:00 am. I have never hiked this trail and would recommend shoes with good soles as well as trekking poles, because it can get slippery and you'll be crossing streams or walking in/and along side them to remain on the trail. I actually lost the trail and decided to head back so that I can try this again tomorrow and be better prepared with different shoes and my poles. Hopefully I can concentrate more on the trail and less on not slipping on the loose gravel. I want to make it to the top!

Great hike!

Very strenuous but amazing variety of scenery and a wonderful view at the top.

Good steep hike, close to valley.

5 stars for difficulty, scenery, and diversity. There was a bit of everything, forested area, gorgeous giant boulders, waterfalls, river, overlook. Beautiful hike but very steep and rocky the entire way up. Made it very difficult and dangerous coming down. You also hike in water for a lot of this hike, literally in the river through the rocks is the only way through, so bring appropriate shoes that won’t slip. The hike is 2 miles up, 2 miles down. The first mile was really fun with diverse scenery. That one mile though felt like 2 or 3 because it’s steep and rocky, but at least it’s shaded the entire way. The second mile was brutal! I was with my 9 year old son and we didn’t finish. We got to the top, the switchbacks and almost made it to the overlook, it was a pretty view. But that last mile is not as fun, it’s just steep and rocky. Another thing I will say is that this trail is not marked at all and it’s very easy to get confused and take a different way. I had my recording on and was able to refer to the map from this app which helped me a lot. Beautiful but there’s a reason it’s marked as “hard”.

Fun, challenging hike!
There was a little snow towards the top, but the weather was great this morning. It took my group just under three hours to go up and back.

Went to the top today and didn’t run into snow and the mud wasn’t bad either.

Super ICY!! Be careful. Pup loved it.. can't wait to go during the warmer months.

About 5 min into my hike I stepped in dog poo. I was being extremely vigilant about where I stepped because I could see little black bags and piles of poo scattered about the trail. Still, I continued until the kids begged to leave. We turned around and left and lo and behold, I stepped in yet another pile of poo before making it back to the car. So gross.

I really enjoyed this hike. It would be a great shady hike to do during the summer.

Nice hike, great trail for the first mile then it gets tricky lots and lots and lots of rocks , so many rocks omg . But thats just a small section once you get past the rocks the trail is great

I just discovered this canyon two days ago and hit it again Saturday morning. Absolute favorite hike since I can take my dog with me on a strenuous hike. The first time we stopped at the rock outcroppings for the view of the valley. But Saturday I went for the upper meadow... and never found it! A bit after the rock outcropping, the trail turns into bush whacking... following it up the ridge only gets extremely difficult but possible for the determined. Does anyone know where the trail to the upper meadow is?

really cool shady hike with some granite monolyths and places to climb. steep with a nice payoff view.

This has been one of my favorite trails for many years. It gets tougher towards the top but it's well worth the effort you put into it. ❤️

Epic hike! So tough at some points going up but so worth it. Didn’t encounter anyone near the top half of the hike and we were stepping on fresh snow. My pup loved it too!

Very good but tired, please take some beers with you

Great hike with amazing views. My pup loves it too!

Second time on this hike and it's a steep but rewarding trail. This time we hiked above the upper meadow to see what was there

Love this hike! After the switch back if you follow the actual trail to the right and keep heading east up the mountain it gets super thick with over growth and leads to a overlook that isn't much of an overlook. If you stay left, it gets pretty hot and not covered but the view is much better. And makes the trail shorter hahaha that thing is long and steep af

Did it on the 25th of July, ran into maybe half dozen people actually hiking. There were probably a dozen climbers but they were pretty much in one area. I'm out of shape and it kicked my tail. I have an 18 month old lab and he was also pretty bushed by the end. It was beautiful and so peaceful I'm excited to do it in the fall.

My wife, mother-in-law, and dog took off from the trailhead around 8AM. There are only a few parking spots right at the start, so get here early to get a spot close to the trailhead. We saw about 5 people on the way up and about 12 people on the way down. Most had dogs (off leash). Very steep for most of the way up but it wasn't too strenuous. I would rate it as moderate. Had it at 5.0 miles exactly.

Nice hike, shaded most of the way. Went up on Sunday and didn't see many people past where the rock climbers were. Loved that we were able to take our super crazy high energy 10 month old GSP pup; she was pretty tuckered by the end, which is RARE. Challenging hike if you're out of shape like me, but if you hike on a regular basis, it's probably more moderate. It's uphill almost the entire way there, but the most difficult part was coming downhill on the loose dirt and gravel. I ate it a few times. Went up in my trail runners which have really good traction & they were sufficient, not sure any type of shoe would help from sliding down dirt. I would imagine chacos and similar sandals would be a pain with getting pebbles in them. We made it to about the 2 mile mark (because it was hot & I'm out of shape & got a little hangry) on the alltrails map, but the garmin watch indicates we did 5.1 miles out & back starting at the parking area with a stop by the lookout point... not sure which is more accurate for mileage.

The meadow is more of a small rock slide, with some serious up-hill bush whacking towards the end. All in all it was very pretty and an enjoyable experience but nothing particularly exciting

Really great trail. Good shaded path and I love the stream. We only went about a mile up because we had our little 10 week old boxer baby and she got tired. We'll be back and get through the whole home soon!

I love this canyon. Love that its not too crowded (I never tell anyone about it unless they have dogs, and then I feel like its my duty to share the wealth), I love the stream running through the middle- its great for my dog to keep hydrated as we hike, I love how its shaded throughout the day, and all of the little waterfalls are amazing. Its not too strenuous, there is one section after the first little waterfall that is pretty slippery and steep, and then another steep hill past the 3rd waterfall, but its so green and lush you don't even care. LOVE THIS HIKE.

I had to cut my hike short due to improper footwear. Some parts of the hike are very steep so I recommend hiking boots with ankle support. I really loved seeing the rock climbers in the canyon on the way up and down. The trail is secluded in trees and canyon rocks the entire time, the river running through is beautiful, and I love that I can bring my dog!

I loved that this trail goes right next to the rock climbing areas, it was fun to see that action. It's a though hike at times, but definitely had some pretty areas!

Really enjoyed this trail, though we couldn't get past about 2mi in, as it wasn't blazed/was impassable. Still a really enjoyable, challenging hike with incredibly rewarding views at the top!

Enjoyable hike, just not a top 10 along the Wasatch front. Maybe I'm not seeing the beauty of it.