Ferguson Canyon Trail to Upper Meadow

Ferguson Canyon Trail to Upper Meadow is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

cave

Ferguson Canyon is a short steep canyon located immediately south of the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon. The lower canyon is enclosed by granite walls popular with rock climbers, while the upper canyon contains open meadows.

Did it on the 25th of July, ran into maybe half dozen people actually hiking. There were probably a dozen climbers but they were pretty much in one area. I'm out of shape and it kicked my tail. I have an 18 month old lab and he was also pretty bushed by the end. It was beautiful and so peaceful I'm excited to do it in the fall.

My wife, mother-in-law, and dog took off from the trailhead around 8AM. There are only a few parking spots right at the start, so get here early to get a spot close to the trailhead. We saw about 5 people on the way up and about 12 people on the way down. Most had dogs (off leash). Very steep for most of the way up but it wasn't too strenuous. I would rate it as moderate. Had it at 5.0 miles exactly.

Nice hike, shaded most of the way. Went up on Sunday and didn't see many people past where the rock climbers were. Loved that we were able to take our super crazy high energy 10 month old GSP pup; she was pretty tuckered by the end, which is RARE. Challenging hike if you're out of shape like me, but if you hike on a regular basis, it's probably more moderate. It's uphill almost the entire way there, but the most difficult part was coming downhill on the loose dirt and gravel. I ate it a few times. Went up in my trail runners which have really good traction & they were sufficient, not sure any type of shoe would help from sliding down dirt. I would imagine chacos and similar sandals would be a pain with getting pebbles in them. We made it to about the 2 mile mark (because it was hot & I'm out of shape & got a little hangry) on the alltrails map, but the garmin watch indicates we did 5.1 miles out & back starting at the parking area with a stop by the lookout point... not sure which is more accurate for mileage.

The meadow is more of a small rock slide, with some serious up-hill bush whacking towards the end. All in all it was very pretty and an enjoyable experience but nothing particularly exciting

Really great trail. Good shaded path and I love the stream. We only went about a mile up because we had our little 10 week old boxer baby and she got tired. We'll be back and get through the whole home soon!

I love this canyon. Love that its not too crowded (I never tell anyone about it unless they have dogs, and then I feel like its my duty to share the wealth), I love the stream running through the middle- its great for my dog to keep hydrated as we hike, I love how its shaded throughout the day, and all of the little waterfalls are amazing. Its not too strenuous, there is one section after the first little waterfall that is pretty slippery and steep, and then another steep hill past the 3rd waterfall, but its so green and lush you don't even care. LOVE THIS HIKE.