Farmington Creek Trail

Farmington Creek Trail is a 2.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Farmington, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.9 miles Elevation Gain: 839 feet Route Type: Out & Back

partially paved

gorgeous. plan some time. the views are too good to hurry through

Great trail, I think it is on the easy side of moderate. There are two waterfalls, the first one is small but the second one is great and it was surrounded by ice, really beautiful. I went to the end of the trail but it was very overgrown and not worth the extra 200 feet or so.

I didn’t make it to the waterfall because my dog was misbehaving, but the colors right now are absolutely stunning!

Just stunning right now! Thought I would go for a quick trail run and it became more of a run, take picture, run, take picture sequence. This is a good hike for kids. Enough incline to make it a workout but not too tough. There are multiple areas with crashed cars along the trail if you know where to look. My favorite car is at the second water crossing instead of going right as the trail leads. Go left and around some trees and see a crashed vehicle in the rushing water. Soon after you are back on the trail you come to the path that takes you to the waterfall. It’s on the right and down a steep section. Bless those that have left the rope to help climb down as it can be kinda scary. Will have to help small kids and take it slow. Wear a shoe with good grippy soles. Be careful not to knock rocks onto those below. I’ve had that happen and a rock falling on your head and hands hurts! The waterfall is a pretty sight! Right now at the bottom of the Falls and along the sides is ice which means the rocks at the bank look wet but are also slick with ice water so be very careful. The Fall leaves right now are gorgeous. With the cooler temps the leaves are falling quick. Fun to have them billow around you and to walk through them. You better hurry if you want to see them. 10/10/19

Nice trail. Breathtaking views and scenery. At 2 miles in the Waterfall is very nice.

Love this when when the weather cools down and is perfect like today (9/12/19). It climbs almost the whole time, but there are bits of shade and a couple of creek crossings. The kids loved the cars; we counted 5 and a half. The steep decent to the waterfall isn’t for sissies! Thank heaven for the rope. A couple of the kids stayed at the top with the dog because he was worried about going down. It took us 3 hours there and back with all the exploring. Fun hike on an early fall day. You can see the leaves are thinking about turning and can spot touches of orange and red on the far side of the canyon. Yay!

This is a fabulous trail with many interesting features - three small stream crossings, two old vehicles that crashed some 50yrs ago and a waterfall. Would recommend hiking in the morning as much of the trail is exposed but there is some shade the farther into the trail you get. There are no facilities (water or toilet) at the decommissioned campground at the end.

great first hike for my month long work trip!!!

Beautiful views! Pictures do it no justice. My dogs and son loved the creek crossings. Bring your kids! My 3 year old son was able to do do it with help in few areas. We did 2.4 miles of the 2.9.

A great hike for no people. Narrow trail, not to steep and a great Small waterfall.

beautiful easy trail! Great on hot sunny days because the waterfall will cool you off. Not too steep, a few creek crossings so shoes may get wet.

The road was close so we parked in the lot below and hiked up to the trail but not take the actual trail

Beautiful waterfall at the top. Definitely use the rope and climb down to the bottom of the waterfall. There are several water crossings,, but all doable with dry feet. Loved it!

I’ve gotta say it, this trail is terrible. I’m new to the area and decided to try it based on all the good reviews. I parked at Farmington Pond and started the trail from there. Within a half mile or so there were so many forks and side trails, with no signs, that I never knew if I was on the right one. I followed one trail when it forked and had to back track when I saw it was headed north. I took the less obvious trail that followed the creek (thought that was a good clue) and that was very steep, very narrow and very hard to stay on. There were parts where the trail had been swept away from rock slides. After about 1.5 miles I could see it wasn’t improving and I turned around. Some locals told me I was on the right trail but I would not recommend this to anyone. Park up on the road and take the Farmington Canyon trail instead.

What a great hike! We saw 5 wrecked cars along the way. (One was just a chassis) The colors were beautiful. The kids loved it. Waterfalls, rocks to climb and wonderful scenery!

Thursday, October 18, 2018

It was beautiful the fall colors are peak!

Sunday, September 30, 2018

Great, relatively easy trail. Could be hot in the summer as some areas aren't shaded. Loved the big waterfall. It was totally worth the ascent to get down into the gully to see it.

Monday, June 11, 2018

Great trail for everyone, the elevation gain is not a major factor. However, the trail leading down to the waterfall was too difficult for my 6 yr old to traverse.

Sunday, April 29, 2018

Not the trail’s fault but found a rattler about 2 miles in. Went to go try a different fork and reports of rattlers on that trail too. This was on 4/28 late morning. Be vigilant.

Sunday, April 29, 2018

The directions for this trail take you to the lagoon trail in Farmington- which you walk on paved trail for about a mile (? I wasn’t wearing a tracker so not sure how far) until you get past Farmington pond and to the actual dirt trail. Next time I will park at the pond park and hike up from there.

Saturday, March 24, 2018

Nice solid trail. Too much trash. Not very challenging but enjoyable.

Tuesday, January 02, 2018

Great winter hike. It's not much of a workout but it's beautiful, especially in the winter because there's almost no people on the trail.

Saturday, November 11, 2017

this is my go to hike to get a good workout and get out of my head. was stunning with the changing leaves. now it's definitely naked unless you get up higher. fairly busy on the lower half. seems like most only make it to the first stream. once you pass the big falls farther up I rarely run into anyone. I always take my German Shepard pup with me and meet lots of friendly doggos on the way. we can pound this trail out in under 2 hours with lots of sidetrack exploring.

Sunday, October 01, 2017

Small amount of traffic. Fun bridges. Great for family of all ages.

Saturday, August 26, 2017

This is the same hike as Sunset Trail. These two entries should be merged. And after taking along an inexperienced friend, I would agree with this Farmington Creek Trail rating of moderate, not "easy" as stated in the Sunset Trail info. Starts at the parking pullout where the pavement ends up Farmington Canyon. Hike just to the falls or continue on to Sunset Campground. Beautiful hike above and through Farmington Creek. Very enjoyable.

Friday, August 18, 2017

Nice cave at the start of the route to take photos in. But it smells like marijuana a little, and ashes from campfire smoke cover the ground, so not recommended to stay and play in it. Just a nice quick photo op. We enjoyed the old cars along the route, and cooling off in the streams and waterfalls. If doing this hike in the summer, and you're with kids, try to get on the trail early! It's hot and not a lot of cover. Kids tend to set a slow pace. So going in the morning would make it more enjoyable.

Thursday, June 29, 2017

We started around 11 o'clock in the afternoon with a two-year-old, and two seven-year-olds. It took us about three hours to get up to the second Falls and back to the car. The kids enjoyed seeing the rusted out car on the way, walking through the river when it crossed the trail, and climbing the rope down to the falls. Even the two-year-old made it down to the falls (after we fashioned a carrying pack with our backpack). People without kids can probably complete the trail a lot faster, but it was very enjoyable going at their pace. We did not go any farther than the main falls, but will definitely do the hike again! I would guess that the hike to the second falls and back is about 3.7 miles.

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Super easy hike. Don't let the length of it fool you. Great trail for beginners!

Saturday, June 24, 2017

I loved this hike! Let me give you my info: I am a beginner who isn't in terrific shape and nearing 50 years old. I thought the beginning was much more pleasant than other trails that have brutal switchbacks. Most of the trail, you are in the shade. (I went in June and we started about 11am) At the beginning, there is a small little cave to your left. You will have to climb up the rocks just a little bit to see it. All the stream crossings were easy. I did not opt to go down to the base of the falls but will definitely do so next time. If you don't like descending the steep trail using a hand rope, there is another option. Some of our group went up higher and to the right, they climbed down a small boulder field type thing. We did not go all the way to the camp site as we had a time limit that day. I will be doing this trail again!

Monday, June 12, 2017

Totally gorgeous! We didn't make it to any cars but we'll be doing it again!