Farmington Creek Trail: Upper Canyon Section

Farmington Creek Trail: Upper Canyon Section is a 3.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Farmington, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and backpacking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.3 miles Elevation Gain: 977 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Salt Lake City: Head north on I-15 and take the Farmington exit. At the stop sign turn right (east) and go to 100 East Street and turn left (north). Follow this into Farmington Canyon and go 5.3 miles up the canyon to Sunset Campground.

Great afternoon hike through the canyon. The Waterfall is solid ice, but beautiful. be careful working your way down to it. It's slicker than it looks right now, I was glad there was a rope. Also, the access gate is now closed for winter, so it will add a few miles to walk up to the trailhead. and there is no sign at the trailhead. It starts where the road loops back. I only saw two other people the whole day. Enjoy !

Great trail, I think it is on the easy side of moderate. There are two waterfalls, the first one is small but the second one is great and it was surrounded by ice, really beautiful. I went to the end of the trail but it was very overgrown and not worth the extra 200 feet or so.

We went out to explore this trail today. Big thanks to previous posters who gave great directions otherwise we would have driven right by. Once you get off the pavement you need to keep going up the twisty mountain road. It’s a pretty steep and narrow drive in some places so drive with caution. One thing I would add to the reviews is to wear gloves if you plan on using the rope to climb down to the waterfall. The rope is so helpful but rough in places and my hands got scratches from the rope. Also it was snowing very lightly so the amount of time this trail will be open is coming to an end. The colors were breathtaking and so worth the hike. I plan on doing this one again before the winter is here.

I decided to hike this on a day where it rained all morning. Going up, the trail had water running down it and across it in many spots. By the time I turned around and went downhill most of the water was gone. Muddy in spots.

I loved this trail, the waterfall is beautiful!

This information is for hiking the 1.5-mile round trip hike to the beautiful upper waterfall in Farmington Creek Canyon. There is a trailhead in the loop of the old (now closed) Sunset Campground Loop. Please note, the only marker for the old campground is a large white sign forbidding camping (it is on the right-hand side as you drive UP the canyon.) You can park your car here at the entrance to the old campground. There are large rocks that block vehicle access into the campground, but you can walk in. Once you walk into the campground you will notice numerous tress cut down making it difficult to navigate through the old campground. Near the far end of the short loop you will see a trail with a trail marker for Farmington Creek Trail. This is the trail. The trail is a steep descent toward Farmington Creek. Once you reach the creek, there is an offshoot trail that you can take to the left (upstream) if you want to explore a little more, but the waterfall is a short hike to the right (downstream) from here. You’ll know it when you reach the waterfall. There is a rope that allows you to work your way down the steep rocky embankment to the bottom of the falls. We hiked in mid August, 2019.

We drove all the way the windy gravel road and parked near what use to be a campground. The hike down to the waterfall was fairly easy with the exception that there are a few crossing trails and no markers. *follow the sound of water* It's a steep decline to reach the bottom of the big waterfall, but there is a rope to help you down and up making it very doable. The views were breathtaking, pretty much all shade/cover. We will definitely be back!

Had a great time on this hike, was wanting a bit of a trail run, and could not keep it going on the way in, but great jog on the way back out. Scramble down to the falls was a nice chance of pace and tons of fun. The waterfall is beautiful. Definitely open for the first 1/2mile, then better shade coverage the rest of the way. On past the falls was much steeper for a nice challenge. Would definitely do it again

Great hike even if you are out of shape like me!

This hike is fairly easy with a few steep parts but nothing like some of the other trails in Davis county. I would say kids could do this hike but be advised, at least 50% of the trail is exposed to the sun. There are some shady parts toward the end but just be aware of the temperature on hot days. What you’ll see: 3 stream crossings, 2.5 wrecked cars from decades past, open canyon vistas, a couple cascades, and a picturesque waterfall. About the waterfall, you’ll have to use the provided rope to climb down a steep embankment to get a good view of the waterfall. Trees block 60% of the view from the trail. So be prepared to scramble. The end of the trail. The trail ends at a fork. The left path takes you to a decommissioned campsite, with a sign that reads “no overnight camping”. The right path takes you deeper in the canyon but the trail is overgrown so I turned around after a few hundred yards.

There were a lot of crossing trails and not always signs telling me where to go. All Trails did not have the complete trail either. According to All Trails, I never made it to the actual Upper Farmington Creek Trail.

July 10, 2019: Did this hike with our two year in a hiking backpack and it was doable. The waterfalls are very pretty. The second waterfall has a rope you can use to help you down to it because it is very steep to get to it. I did not go all the way down to the waterfall because of our two year old but you can see the waterfall from the trail and it's pretty cool. The trail itself isn't too bad but there are some steep points and some spots are not shaded so make sure to bring sunscreen. There are some creeks you will have to cross and your feet will get wet.

https://youtu.be/Lh9d10Kjq68 heres a quick video on what the area looks like! Love it! I hike this all the time. Full of wildlife. Easy hike. Youll Enjoy

The road to the trailhead is narrow and windy. The off-roading vehicle can go fast on the road. Be careful. There are 6 cashed vehicles along the trail. It was a nice trail with several water crossings.

Couldn't find the Sunset campground trail head. That campground has been shut down and there were no signs marking it. Ended up driving back down and starting where the first little parking area is after the pavement ends. It was 4.09 miles total and 1295 ft elevation climb taking it from this direction. Warning that it is all uphill with very little shade this way. We saw multiple lizards and a snake. There were also a lot of flies and wasps. There are wrecked cars in a few different places but some of them you have to hike off the trail to see. There were three river crossings that my feet got a little wet in but the water was probably higher than normal. The first waterfall was pretty but the second one required holding onto a rope and going down to the bottom, which was hard on the hands because it was very steep. You really couldn't see a lot from the top of the second waterfall because of the trees so to get the view you have to go down the rope. The trail went further from there but we turned around at the roped waterfall. We lost our footing going back down quite a few times because of the steepness.

The waterfall definitely made the hike worth it!

Great short how hike. The waterfall is beautiful, definitely I’d do it again. No many places for camping also, last weekend was vey crowded.

Pleasantly surprised by this trail. Always on the lookout for something with water and trees, this more than met those expectations. Flowers and dragon flies were in full swing. Great afternoon hike!

Love this hike, the old cars are cool. The waterfall is what we usually hike to and then turn around. It's a favorite for sure.

Phenomenal trail! More than worth the trip!

Always one of my favorite trails. The waterfall is amazing this year! Plus this is one of very few trails this spring that you can hike and still have dry shoes when you're done. Hiked out in the dark. There were lots of spiders but also one very cute prickly caterpillar.

Nice, relatively easy hike that ends with a gorgeous waterfall. We encountered a ton of lizards and one large (unidentifiable) snake. Watch where you step!

worth it

Love it for kids and dog perfect! My kids age 8, 10 and 12

My husband and I loved this hike. Such a relaxing hike with sound of the river running. Suggest it to my friends. Go and enjoy....

This was a great trail. It was a lot of fun going up and then did a slow jog back down the trail. Amazed at the amount of people going up late evening time.

Loved this trail. just gorgeous views, small waterfalls, creek crossings and cars. Yep, it's a graveyard for cars and you will pass 3 cars. Rope to take you down to the falls was a little slippery due to the powerful waterfall spray but highly recommend going down anyway. Trail was dry with wildflowers, butterflies and green views everywhere. Bring a hammock and just hang out and listen to the water raging through. My Garmin showed 1417ft elevation gain from the lower parking lot. The gate was closed so we had to walk the mile on the road to the trailhead. In our opinion that was the worst part.

Great trail close to my house, I pulled the tire out of the middle of the first water fall so it should make for better photos now. There’s a couple more I plan on pulling out the next time up, gotta keep nature natural. It’s an easy trail that I highly recommended!