Farmington Creek Trail

Farmington Creek Trail is a 3.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Farmington, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Directions from Salt Lake City: Head north on I-15 and take the Farmington exit. At the stop sign turn right (east) and go to 100 East Street and turn left (north). Follow this into Farmington Canyon and go 5.3 miles up the canyon to Sunset Campground.

Fantastic hike with great views and a nice waterfall near end. Saw 5 people on trail. Only marked down a star due to the road being closed to trailhead. I understand its closed probably for leftover snow, but it's the end of April! It added about 2 miles to hike.

Fun hike, shaded in the trees. Couple of places for nice views. Drive up the canyon road till pavement ends and park there and trailhead is there. Didn’t do the super steep section (where rope is) down to 2nd waterfall. Between short legs and old knees I thought it best to skip that section. I am 65 and just getting into hiking and didn’t seem too strenuous at all. Much easier than getting to waterfall up Adam’s Canyon in Layton.

Start this one early! We started at 9am, and after exploring the cave at the beginning, having a snack at the 1st waterfall (1 mile in), poking around all the old cars, and then playing in the big waterfall (2 miles in) for a while, we were hiking down around 2pm in the outrageous sun and temps. The descent to the big waterfall is very steep and about 40ft. down. There is a rope, and my 15 and 8 year olds handled it easily. My 12 and 10 year olds with autism basically slid down carefully on their bums while holding onto the rope. We played in the waterfall to cool down and had a great time. The climb out was a beast for my special needs kids, but they did it and were SO PROUD! Normally the trail back to the car seems to go by in a flash. This time it seemed never-ending. Must have been the heat. This trail is about 50/50 sun and shade, so at least we had moments out of the sun. This one would be gorgeous in the Fall.

Beautiful hike. A bit harder than expected; is rate this moderate. Slight and slow incline. Old cars were creepy but interesting. My 11 year old handled it like a trooper! Several places you have to cross small streams. Would do it again!

Just completed this hike, well most of it. The path is very covered with greenery, sticks, and brush. Very hard to see at times where you are walking. We saw multiple [rattle]snakes on this trail. Once you get to the fork at the end, the path is hard to determine so we turned around. The path is not shaded and muddy in some parts. Also, you must walk a steep mile uphill to get to the trailhead. GOOD LUCK!

This was a good trail. Lots of cars over the cliff and was sad seeing the beat up cars on the mountain and tires in the river. There were at 3 waterfalls the highest one still covered in ice.. very beautiful in winter. Up higher snow shoes or spikes on our shoes would have helped but no prob with just running shoes on. I’m sure summer there are too many ppl. Will stick to going in the winter.

During winter the main road is closed so there is a 20 minute walk to the actual trail before hand. But it is a beautiful wet hike. Bring some warm clothes in case it snows like it did with me. A great easy/moderate hike with no music needed, just listen to the sounds of the creek and you’ll be sure to lose yourself among the trees.

Magical and almost too good to be true. Waterfall enthusiast. Beautiful state and locals have been so kind to this Oklahoma Lady. Loving my stay here.

great trail

The directions on this has you parking next to lagoon. You actually walk through the lagoon trail and then you figure you’d better walk toward the mountain since you thought this was a hiking trail on the mountain, hahaha (the signs are limited). It was a nice climb up but since there were hardly any signs and the path is faint on some parts and then many other paths show up along he way and don’t know where to go (due to he lack of signs) you can easily jump onto another trail. Which I did, I ended up on bonneville shore line trail instead. The trail is open/exposed to the sun, maybe a bit warm during the summer months. It was great weather when I went in October. Some people were shooting their guns out in the area so you need to be aware of that so you don’t walk in their path. I’d like to try again but be on the Farmington creek trail, rather than the bonneville shoreline trail. I ended up doing 4.1 miles out and back with little elevation gain.

Took my puppy and she could handle it.

Great trail for a quick hike. Took our 6 yr old and 10 yr old they had a great time. Easy trail a couple of steep spots but not bad.

Same trail as the Farmington Creek Trail listed on AllTrails

It was very beautiful and quiet. It was really nice in the beginning, but coming back was challenging. Definitely worth it though.

This is the same hike as Farmington Creek Trail. These two entries should be merged. And after taking along an inexperienced friend, I would agree with the Farmington Creek rating of moderate. Starts at the parking pullout where the pavement ends up Farmington Canyon. Hike just to the falls or continue on to Sunset Campground. Beautiful hike above and through Farmington Creek. Very enjoyable.

Really nice trail, not too steep, an easy 2 hour or less trip with time for stops. Several mini-waterfalls and stream crossings, beautiful valley views, enough shade along the way to get some relief. WARNING: I didn't read the other reviews and missed the parking lot. It should be obvious, but I thought it was farther...it is on a switchback as the road turns to gravel. I realized my mistake after awhile and made a precarious turn around...easy to see how the cars along the hike ended up there!

Did this after work yesterday. Was a good workout while not to demanding. This is the same route as another trail. This is the same trail as another hike listed. The funny thing is this is listed as easy and the other one as moderate. Overall it is a fun hike and you get some great views

Nice cave at the start of the route to take photos in. But it smells like marijuana a little, and ashes from campfire smoke cover the ground, so not recommended to stay and play in it. Just a nice quick photo op.

We enjoyed the old cars along the route, and cooling off in the streams and waterfalls. If doing this hike in the summer, and you're with kids, try to get on the trail early! It's hot and not a lot of cover. Kids tend to set a slow pace. So going in the morning would make it more enjoyable.

Absolutely one of my favorites. Besides the old cars, tires, washer, water heater that's been dumped and fallen from the road above it has a fantastic waterfall that you can climb down to with a rope someone has tied off for us.

Monday, July 31, 2017

I took my grandsons on this hike this morning. It is a great hike for boys because it has so many rewards! There are a total of four vehicles that have fallen off the canyon road and are near the trail. There is also a waterfall at the end and a small cave at the beginning. The trail does continue up to the campground, but we stopped at the waterfall, which makes it about a 3 1/2 mile hike round trip. I took a screenshot of the location on the map for 3 of the vehicles and of where the waterfall is. I added those pictures to this app. You do have to repel down a steep hill holding on to a rope someone was so kind to leave to get to the waterfall. My 10, 11 and 13 year old grandsons were able to do it and so was their 57 year old grandma. Most of the trail is shaded in the morning. We only ran into a few people. I recommend this hike for families. It's very fun.

Saturday, July 29, 2017

It's a nice enough trail... pretty easy as far as no need to scramble, being well defined, no extreme up and downs and only moderate altitude gain. It is narrow, though, single file, and parts are right on the edge of drop offs. I don't know if I'd be comfortable with younger children be-bobbing along it unless they have some experience because if they get careless, they could go off the side of some fairly precipitous drops. Nice to hear the river below most of the way. Nice waterfall near the end. Goes through shady areas here and there, and you cross a couple of places where shallow, not wide, water flows over the trail. There's a sense of sameness along it's length, though. Still, overall, nice... great canyon vistas.

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

This is a green trail and it very steep. We did it with an eight month in backpack. Waterfall is pretty and it wasn't crowded when we did it on July 24th. Only bad thing was we went under a tree branch and lots of red ants got on us and bit our daughter in backpack.

Thursday, July 20, 2017

easy, however to get to the waterfall you go down a steep portion where someone has luckily added rope. I wouldn't think kids could make it to well down that last portion, but they can still see the waterfall in the distance up top.

Saturday, July 15, 2017

A beautiful hike but definitely not easy! My husband and I, and my 15 & 13 year olds all are huffing and puffing most of the way. We are glad we did it but I wish I had been a little more prepared for how tough it was. ;)

Friday, July 07, 2017

Awesome hike, everyone must do.

Friday, July 07, 2017

Awesome hike, everyone must do.

Thursday, July 06, 2017

This trail is perfect for beginner trail runners. The incline is very gradual although it is a very narrow path. It leads to a waterfall that you have to climb down a road to really see it fully. If you keep going past the waterfall the climb gets much steeper. My 12 year old and I really enjoyed it.

Monday, July 03, 2017

simple 3 mile trek round trip from the pavement ends parking lot to the falls worth the time

Monday, July 03, 2017

One of my new favorites. beautiful trail, not too crowded, and the waterfall at the end is gorgeous, if you're willing to climb down to the base of it. There is a rope there to help with the descent and ascent, but I didn't feel safe taking the dog down with me. Amazing at the bottom though.

Good hike. Family friendly